600pf vs 100-400

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Great shots, and as they stand, the 600 is obviously better. However, the 400 has fewer pixels for the same detail, so at least some difference will come from that.

I don't have the 600 f/6.3, but often use the 800 f/6.3. I get some great images with it, but for many subjects, I find the 100-400 minimum focusing distance a great benefit. It seems no matter what I do, I can't fill the 800 frame with a hummingbird, but given that they are not very shy, I can walk up close enough with the 100-400 to do so, and that makes a big difference for the ultimate quality.

Great juxtaposition and difficult to replicate. Kudos. When I zoom in on the darker feathers the 600 clearly wins. You can pick out every detail. Having said that, increasing contrast on the 100-400 and darkening it a bit would probably get them pretty close. Again, it comes down to what are you going to use it for? The 100-400 is more easily maneuvered hand held. The 600 is best with some kind of support. If you can only afford one, or only want to haul around one, which will it be. So many things to consider.

Great juxtaposition and difficult to replicate. Kudos. When I zoom in on the darker feathers the 600 clearly wins. You can pick out every detail. Having said that, increasing contrast on the 100-400 and darkening it a bit would probably get them pretty close. Again, it comes down to what are you going to use it for? The 100-400 is more easily maneuvered hand held. The 600 is best with some kind of support. If you can only afford one, or only want to haul around one, which will it be. So many things to consider.
I am a birder and photograph birds for ID as I encounter them while hiking around. I have not used support in over 3 years. I find the Z600 f/6.3 on my Z9 is every bit as easy to maneuver if not better balanced than my Z100-400 was. The Z600 f/6.3 is also a great fit for my Z6III for low light situations.

I currently own Z800 f/6.3 pf and Z800 f/6.3 pf and Tamron zMount 150-500. Cameras are 2 Z9's and a Z6III. I am a birder on the go and always hand held. In my hiking and on the go searching for birds in all types of habitats tripods and monopods are not practical.

For "my use" I have sold my Z100-400 and Z180-600 as the others have proved more appropriate for my needs relative to focus speed, reach, IQ and ease of use. Emphasis on "my use".

Back