800f6.3, Late to the party but my take.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jfbacks

I've had three weekends with the 800mm6.3. It only took a little over a year to get one(non NPS). I've be shooing a 500f4VRII with a TC-14EIII pretty much permanently attached so for all intents an purposes a 700mm5.6. The field of view is pretty much indistinguishable. I would have been satisfied with my old setup indefinitely.....if it wasn't such a ball buster, as the image quality even with the TC is quite good. The 800 is definitely more hand holdable. The Cliff Swallow image was hand held. The Kentucky Warbler and Ovenbird were hand held at 1/250-320 second. My tripod is definitely going to see less action. The thing I'm really stoked about is being able to place the focus recall on the camera body. I just never liked having to move my left hand around to find the recall buttons on lens body or maybe I'm just to simple minded to press buttons with both hands at the same time. I was happy to find that firmware 4.0 added this option to the record button as I had never assigned any function to this button, it wasn't available on any 3.x. I set the recall to the minimum focusing distance and leave it there. The Z9 remembers this even if you turn the camera off as long as you don't remove the lens. Any close OOF bird is almost always locked on the way back out. Not letting go of the background when seeing a yellow blob of a warbler has gone from a major annoyance to more of a minor inconvinence. Two thumbs up for me. I have to admit I almost felt like I was dumping my wife for a younger woman(not that I would actually know) when I set my 500 in its case as a backup. It's been a constant companion for the last 6-7 years.
51138.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
51328.jpg
51373.jpg
51468.jpg
51518.jpg
51091.jpg

I've had three weekends with the 800mm6.3. It only took a little over a year to get one(non NPS). I've be shooing a 500f4VRII with a TC-14EIII pretty much permanently attached so for all intents a purposes a 700mm5.6. The field of view is pretty much indistinguishable. I would have been satisfied with my old setup indefinitely.....if it wasn't such a ball buster, as the image quality even with the TC is quite good. The 800 is definitely more hand holdable. The Cliff Swallow image was hand held. The Kentucky Warbler and Ovenbird were hand held at 1/250-320 second. My tripod is definitely going to see less action. The thing I'm really stoked about is being able to place the focus recall on the camera body. I just never liked having to move my left hand around to find the recall buttons on lens body or maybe I'm just to simple minded to press buttons with both hands at the same time. I was happy to find that firmware 4.0 added this option to the record button as I had never assigned any function to this button, it wasn't available on any 3.x. I set the recall to the minimum focusing distance and leave it there. The Z9 remembers this even if you turn the camera off as long as you don't remove the lens. Any close OOF bird is almost always locked on the way back out. Not letting go of the background when seeing a yellow blob of a warbler has gone from a major annoyance to more of a minor inconvinence. Two thumbs up for me. I have to admit I almost felt like I was dumping my wife for a younger woman(not that I would actually know) when I set my 500 in its case as a backup. It's been a constant companion for the last 6-7 years.View attachment 64451View attachment 64452View attachment 64453View attachment 64454View attachment 64455View attachment 64456
Beautiful set! Well done👍👍👍

Just received the 800PF from B&H ordered October 22, 2022. Already determined that my 82 year old body will be well served with the 400/4.5+100-400/4, 800/6.3 + TC1.4 and TC2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had three weekends with the 800mm6.3. It only took a little over a year to get one(non NPS). I've be shooing a 500f4VRII with a TC-14EIII pretty much permanently attached so for all intents a purposes a 700mm5.6. The field of view is pretty much indistinguishable. I would have been satisfied with my old setup indefinitely.....if it wasn't such a ball buster, as the image quality even with the TC is quite good. The 800 is definitely more hand holdable. The Cliff Swallow image was hand held. The Kentucky Warbler and Ovenbird were hand held at 1/250-320 second. My tripod is definitely going to see less action. The thing I'm really stoked about is being able to place the focus recall on the camera body. I just never liked having to move my left hand around to find the recall buttons on lens body or maybe I'm just to simple minded to press buttons with both hands at the same time. I was happy to find that firmware 4.0 added this option to the record button as I had never assigned any function to this button, it wasn't available on any 3.x. I set the recall to the minimum focusing distance and leave it there. The Z9 remembers this even if you turn the camera off as long as you don't remove the lens. Any close OOF bird is almost always locked on the way back out. Not letting go of the background when seeing a yellow blob of a warbler has gone from a major annoyance to more of a minor inconvinence. Two thumbs up for me. I have to admit I almost felt like I was dumping my wife for a younger woman(not that I would actually know) when I set my 500 in its case as a backup. It's been a constant companion for the last 6-7 years.View attachment 64451View attachment 64452View attachment 64453View attachment 64454View attachment 64455View attachment 64456
Beautiful shots

I've had three weekends with the 800mm6.3. It only took a little over a year to get one(non NPS). I've be shooing a 500f4VRII with a TC-14EIII pretty much permanently attached so for all intents a purposes a 700mm5.6. The field of view is pretty much indistinguishable. I would have been satisfied with my old setup indefinitely.....if it wasn't such a ball buster, as the image quality even with the TC is quite good. The 800 is definitely more hand holdable. The Cliff Swallow image was hand held. The Kentucky Warbler and Ovenbird were hand held at 1/250-320 second. My tripod is definitely going to see less action. The thing I'm really stoked about is being able to place the focus recall on the camera body. I just never liked having to move my left hand around to find the recall buttons on lens body or maybe I'm just too simple minded to press buttons with both hands at the same time. I was happy to find that firmware 4.0 added this option to the record button as I had never assigned any function to this button, it wasn't available on any 3.x. I set the recall to the minimum focusing distance and leave it there. The Z9 remembers this even if you turn the camera off as long as you don't remove the lens. Any close OOF bird is almost always locked on the way back out. Not letting go of the background when seeing a yellow blob of a warbler has gone from a major annoyance to more of a minor inconvinence. Two thumbs up for me. I have to admit I almost felt like I was dumping my wife for a younger woman(not that I would actually know) when I set my 500 in its case as a backup. It's been a constant companion for the last 6-7 years.View attachment 64451View attachment 64452View attachment 64453View attachment 64454View attachment 64455View attachment 64456
Excellent shots! I can relate to your experience 100% after getting my 800 PF about 2 months ago. I too shoot small birds and used the 500E Fl and 1.4x TC. Fantastic combo. However, the lighter weight of the 800mm and ability to recall MFD with the touch of a finger on the camera rather than having to awkwardly change lens hold to find a recall button on the lens barrel has been a game changer.

Last edited:
Excellent shots! I can relate to your experience 100% after getting my 800 PF about 2 months ago. I too shoot small birds and used the 500E Fl and 1.4x TC. Fantastic combo. However, the lighter weight of the 800mm and ability to recall MFD with the touch of a finger on the camera rather than having to awkwardly change lens hold to find a recall button on the lens barrel has been a game changer.
You bet, I'm not sure what I'm more pleased with, the weight reduction(this is even greater with the G vs Fl) or the ability to recall MFD on the body.

Just received the 800PF from B&H ordered October 22, 2022. Already determined that my 82 year old body will be well served with the 400/4.5+100-400/4, 800/6.3 + TC1.4 and TC2.0. Will be selling my F-mount 600/4E, 300/2.8 and 500/6.3…please PM any interest in these three lenses.
Seeing the long wait times for the Z 800 PF lens, I thought I would relay my recent, very fortunate experience:

After my recent purchase of the Nikon Z9 I had been looking for the Z 800 lens, finding that only used versions were available on Amazon and no waiting list was available at B&H Photo or Adorama. Nikon USA did not list availability. But suddenly on 6/17/2023 it appeared to be available, and then only briefly. I immediately clicked on “Buy Now” and my credit card was accepted. Being skeptical as to whether or not there actually was a Z 800 lens available, I checked again on Nikon USA and it was no longer listed. I had to wait over the weekend to confirm with Nikon that it was actually available for purchase, halfway expecting to be receiving an email that it was all in error. The lens arrived by FedEx on 6/23/2023 much to my surprise and pleasure. I was very fortunate not to have a long wait. Needless to say I am happy with my return to Nikon with the Z9 now that I have a full set of practical lenses.

Seeing the long wait times for the Z 800 PF lens, I thought I would relay my recent, very fortunate experience:

After my recent purchase of the Nikon Z9 I had been looking for the Z 800 lens, finding that only used versions were available on Amazon and no waiting list was available at B&H Photo or Adorama. Nikon USA did not list availability. But suddenly on 6/17/2023 it appeared to be available, and then only briefly. I immediately clicked on “Buy Now” and my credit card was accepted. Being skeptical as to whether or not there actually was a Z 800 lens available, I checked again on Nikon USA and it was no longer listed. I had to wait over the weekend to confirm with Nikon that it was actually available for purchase, halfway expecting to be receiving an email that it was all in error. The lens arrived by FedEx on 6/23/2023 much to my surprise and pleasure. I was very fortunate not to have a long wait. Needless to say I am happy with my return to Nikon with the Z9 now that I have a full set of practical lenses.
Nice! You really lucked out! I pre-ordered mine a few months ago at a small dealer, and was fortunate to get it within a month.

Last edited:
Wonderful images !!

I hear you on the logistics of the big old Nikon primes I sold off my Nikon 600mm f/4E as soon as I got the Z800 5-1-22.

The Z800 lives on one of my Z9's.

I've had three weekends with the 800mm6.3. It only took a little over a year to get one(non NPS). I've be shooing a 500f4VRII with a TC-14EIII pretty much permanently attached so for all intents an purposes a 700mm5.6. The field of view is pretty much indistinguishable. I would have been satisfied with my old setup indefinitely.....if it wasn't such a ball buster, as the image quality even with the TC is quite good. The 800 is definitely more hand holdable. The Cliff Swallow image was hand held. The Kentucky Warbler and Ovenbird were hand held at 1/250-320 second. My tripod is definitely going to see less action. The thing I'm really stoked about is being able to place the focus recall on the camera body. I just never liked having to move my left hand around to find the recall buttons on lens body or maybe I'm just to simple minded to press buttons with both hands at the same time. I was happy to find that firmware 4.0 added this option to the record button as I had never assigned any function to this button, it wasn't available on any 3.x. I set the recall to the minimum focusing distance and leave it there. The Z9 remembers this even if you turn the camera off as long as you don't remove the lens. Any close OOF bird is almost always locked on the way back out. Not letting go of the background when seeing a yellow blob of a warbler has gone from a major annoyance to more of a minor inconvinence. Two thumbs up for me. I have to admit I almost felt like I was dumping my wife for a younger woman(not that I would actually know) when I set my 500 in its case as a backup. It's been a constant companion for the last 6-7 years.View attachment 64451View attachment 64452View attachment 64453View attachment 64454View attachment 64455View attachment 64456
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Z800. I am still learning my Z8 and think the 800pf (I currently use the 500pf) would be great for small birds. Your shots are fantastic. I really like the wrens eye.

Back