800PF - share photos and discuss!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Out yesterday getting a feel for the 800PF + 180-600 pairing in the field, shooting out of my Mindshift Backlight 36L. This two-lens setup is absolutely perfect for birding; last year I wasn't getting along with the massive FL gap between the 100-400 and 800, so thinking this year will be more fluid.

Found a Carolina Wren, a rarity for us here in the Midwest.
View attachment 83840
beautiful !

So many fabulous images here. Shows why this is such a great lens. I have had my 800pf for a year now. I use it on my Z9 and absolutely love it. I had a nikon 600 f4 g lens before which I almost always had a 1.4 tc on so I knew the 800 would work well for me. I find it so refreshing to have a shorter, lighter lens. I live in the PNW so 6.3 was a little troublesome but not much different than the 5.6 I was at with the 600 plus tc. I am able to shoot fast subjects just fine and do not have an issue acquiring the subject most of the time. I have shot fast moving Kingfishers, Bluebirds, and owls. Here are a few of my images. I don't post much so I hope this works.

1. GGO
View attachment 83954

2. Kingfisher
View attachment 83955

3. California Quail
View attachment 83956

SEO
View attachment 83957

SEO 2
View attachment 83958
the GGO is superb

It's not as sharp as was my 800 f5.6, but it is sharp enough and much smaller and lighter; the 800 f5.6 got too heavy for me to carry around over my shoulder.

Attachments

• _Z803933.jpg
    _Z803933.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 36
Took mine out today for the first time to seriously shoot with it. I've got some work to do. That being said, its very capable of making excellent images. Here's a couple of the same species (Northern Parula) from different places on Dauphin Island in Alabama this afternoon:
DSC_0663 - Copy_cr-DeNoiseAI-standard th cr.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
DSC_9689_cr-DeNoiseAI-standard 2 th cr.jpg

Back from a week in Botswana (Chobe River with the Pangolin guys), I came back loaded with pics from this trip, I took the z800 and the 180/400 that I handed over to my daughter along with the 2nd Z9.

I forced myself to take most of the pics with the 800 although framing was a new challenging issue on the closing up mammals but that didn't bothered since she was in charge of the wider angle shots (and I had the 24-120 f/4 on the 3rd body, a D6).

I couldn't be happier with what I'm seeing...will have to reconsider my plans to sell my 600FL and get the Z600TC instead... not sure I'll get any better results in good light, although the f4 is sooo much needed when light fades out...

Here's a couple of fresh examples:

Z92_2973-©MC by Marcelo Cinicola, on Flickr

Nikon Z 9
NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S
ƒ/6.3
800.0 mm
1/2000s
ISO 1600

Z92_2262-©MC by Marcelo Cinicola, on Flickr

Nikon Z 9
ƒ/6.3
800.0 mm
1/2000s
ISO 2800

Z92_4889-©MC by Marcelo Cinicola, on Flickr

Nikon Z 9
ƒ/6.3
800.0 mm
1/500s
ISO 2800

On this last shot of the African Jacana with chicks, light was poor (past 6pm in the Chobe is challenging) so I had to lower the speed far more than what I'd have with just a bit more light, besides, the boat rocked so it was a combination drill...

It's a wonderful lens, took it now in 3 safaris in a row (2x Kenya and 1x Botswana), when conditions are fair, it's a joy to use (both handheld or on a gimbal as in the Pangolin boats).

Krgds, Marcelo

Fabulous photos there on Flickr, I'm very encouraged by these results and will be considering getting this lens :)
You won't regret it a bit. I have an album on Flickr dedicated to it, bad and good, from day 1. I'm surprised myself (and I do own a 600/4 FL, have owned all the primes and yes, you can tell it's no f/4 or is not the top dollar lens but...for $7K is a bargain if we think the 1/3 faster 800 FL was what, $18K?)
Krgds, Marcelo

spent some time the last few days just shooting the local birds from the porch. we're starting to get some migratory ones it looks like.

800PF + 1.4x + 2X just testing for sharpness, bokeh, etc.

I don't have much experience shooting small birds, so also just working on technique and whatnot. I don't know that I'd post any of these to my flickr, but I was surprised that the 1.4x and 2x both did super well.

Z92_2559_DxO.jpg
Z92_3165_DxO.jpg
Z92_3178_DxO.jpg
Z92_3272_DxO.jpg
Z92_3474_DxO.jpg
Z92_3523_DxO.jpg
Z92_3623_DxO.jpg
Z92_3650_DxO.jpg

Back