A laser-focused Great Gray Owl takes off after prey

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
As I have said before, Great Gray Owls are popular subjects for wildlife photographers. They are relatively unperturbed by the presence of small groups of people, so we get to see images of them perched, in flight, in flight with food, at nest, feeding their nestlings and fledglings, nestlings in the nest, etc. When seeing them this summer in British Columbia, I tried to concentrate on getting something with a least a bit out of the usual. We had been watching this male on a perch as he searched his surroundings for prey to take back to his nestlings. He would intermittently become very focused on various spots on the ground, as if he had heard something of interest. Of note, these owls use hearing as well as vision to locate prey. They have a particularly large facial disk that funnels sound to their ears. When this owl, after listening intently, was sure that he had located prey, he took off from the perch. I captured the take off and the incredible focus in this image. I hope you like it and think that the action is a bit different.
Z91_8124-Enhanced-NR-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I got it because of the built in TC, which really is a “game changer”! The lens really sharp without and with the TC engaged, but the F mount lens was also very sharp. I do just love not having to fumble around getting a TC on and off.

Back