A Professional Bird photographers (Jan Wegener) review and AF setup of the Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

He has an earlier Z9 video discussed here last year

A version of Focus Persistence - summary here - has been available since the 'instant toggle' AF Customization options were introduced a few years back in Nikon DSLRs (critically AFmode+AFOn in the D5 Triumvirate ) - permitting 'focus decision making on demand'. Nikon tightened up, rather refined, control over Focus Persistence in the D6.

Latterly, the Z9 gives us different ways of setting this up. I agree with posters above that it's muscle memory that's as important, if not more so.

One useful Custom tweak in the Z9 relates to the benefits of using CA 1*1, in place of Single point mode. With SR it behaves like a tiny Strange Attractor to grab a bird or some other challenging subject, to hand over to tracking. Steve has mentioned it a few times, in his book too I think; I stumbled upon its advantages just over a year ago after updating to FW 2.0

I didn't understand the shutter half-press workflow. I start with one of the wide area modes assigned to AF-ON/ DISP buttons ( both set to AF-ON+ AF Area) and then once the camera locks the target, just release the AF button so that auto area take over as I have assigned it to shutter AF.

I do not half press the shutter for auto area AF to kick in and instead just press the shutter all the way and still my hand off seems to work. Not sure if I'm missing something 🤔

This is my take-away. Jan shoots in a rich birding environment and seems to be able to get relatively close so the birds are always reasonably large in the frame which is required for his method to work. Around here it's rare to be able to get close enough for the camera to pick up the bird using custom wide unless it's against the sky.
Correct this would never work with the way I shoot birds of prey over much greater distances with busy backgrounds.

I didn't understand the shutter half-press workflow. I start with one of the wide area modes assigned to AF-ON/ DISP buttons ( both set to AF-ON+ AF Area) and then once the camera locks the target, just release the AF button so that auto area take over as I have assigned it to shutter AF.

I do not half press the shutter for auto area AF to kick in and instead just press the shutter all the way and still my hand off seems to work. Not sure if I'm missing something 🤔
Yes your way makes sense and is just the opposite to what some others are doing. I think your way actually makes the most sense. Use the AF-ON button during your initial acquisition with the Wide Area and then when you are firing you have released the AF-ON and are using the Auto AF on the shutter while firing. I think that is how I would run it, I actually can't remember if I ran my Z9 in that order or the reverse (Auto on the AF-ON, Wide Area on the shutter).

Yes you can see the camera trying to focus without have any af area mode engaged as @Steve said .... I have focus point persistence and animal detection on and I use half press with wide area custom at 5x3 for focus and have AFON set to 3D+AFON and fn1 set to single point + AFON and fn2 set to Auto AF Area + AFON ... I shoot birds 95% of the time and this set up gives me quick choices for AF Area mode while looking through the viewfinder at my target bird, when I change birds or the bird moves to a different situation. And my left support hand has the Z800 hejnar tripod foot resting in the palm of my hand with thumb and fingers at the ready to change ev with the control ring, push a button to toggle between fx&dx or give a quick assist with the manual focus ring.

I have been using auto area focus recently to photograph flying Cormorants. Really surprised at how well the auto area works. Replacing use of wide area, at least for larger birds.

Back