ACR vs LRC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SBurkholder

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I recognize that there are UI differences between the two programs e.g. the Basic panel in LRC is split into 3 panels in ACR and other various small differences) and I realize that the Main purpose of LRC is cataloging. My question is: Are there any functional difference between the two? Are there any tools or functions that you can do in ACR that you can't accomplish in LRC or vice versa? I'm just asking the question about ACR and not Photoshop. I realize that PS is more comprehensive.

The LrC Develop module is the same as ACR functionally. The layout is just slightly different but 99.9% the same things are in both.

If you search for Lightroom Classic and/or ACR you will find threads asking similar questions.

Thanks, I did try to search the web on this issue, and either I didn't ask my question correctly or for some other reason, I couldn't come up with a definitive answer. Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

I don't know of any functional differences between the develop module of LrC and ACR. Of course lightroom has the other modules while ACR is not standalone but a plug in for Photoshop and Bridge. As a way a demonstrating it, make changes on a raw file in lightroom and right click to choose to edit as smart object in photoshop. In photoshop double click the layer thumbnail and ACR pops up retaining your exact lightroom edits, which can be further edited or reversed right there in ACR.

I recognize that there are UI differences between the two programs e.g. the Basic panel in LRC is split into 3 panels in ACR and other various small differences) and I realize that the Main purpose of LRC is cataloging. My question is: Are there any functional difference between the two? Are there any tools or functions that you can do in ACR that you can't accomplish in LRC or vice versa? I'm just asking the question about ACR and not Photoshop. I realize that PS is more comprehensive.
I don't want us to digress here, but I will take (friendly) issue with this statement:
I realize that the Main purpose of LRC is cataloging
For me, the main purpose of LRC is cataloging ..... and editing ..... and publishing (to flickr for example) photos. Though I do go into Photoshop at times, 95% of the photos I work with are handled entirely within LRC. And as LRC capabilities increase (the subject/background/sky masking for example) more and more things can be done in LRC. And I don't think I'm an outlier. LRC is a fairly powerful editing tool.

I actually agree with you. I was more referring to the origins of LR and its original purpose. Over the years it has become a functional editor. Still doesn’t have the capabilities of PS but for simple editing it works and is more than adequate in most cases.

Back