Lightroom, Lightroom Classic or ACR?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Butlerkid

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Free webinar by Tim Grey. Tim is a recognized expert on LR and PS and has the ability to communicate things in an easy-to-understand manner.

"Wednesday, February 7, 2024

12pm to 1pm Eastern Time

In my upcoming (free) live online presentation as part of the "GreyLearning Live!" webinar series, I will provide insights into the similarities and differences between Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Lightroom Classic, and Adobe Bridge.

These three applications from Adobe all provide a workflow solution for organizing and optimizing your photos. This presentation will help you choose which is right for you, and how each impacts your workflow. Along the way I'll will be happy to answer questions from those attending the live online presentation"

Archived on YouTube

Last edited:
Right in the middle of the work day. I'll register to watch the replay. Afterwards, I'll find out how many e-mails equals "free."

Thank you for posting this, Karen.

Reactions: seh
Right in the middle of the work day. I'll register to watch the replay. Afterwards, I'll find out how many e-mails equals "free."

Thank you for posting this, Karen.
Tim puts out a somewhat daily Q&A newsletter. I've received it for years. Sometimes I learn something new! LOL! But I believe that is a separate sign up for that.

I've been receiving his free newsletters for years too, worthwhile for sure. I've also done a bunch of his online courses , they are well done.

I use LR mobile for importing, processing and sharing my photos. I use LRC for printing. Currently, I’m trying to understand how they are related and if there is value in continuing to use both. I’m not familiar with Mr. Grey, so I’m looking forward to his seminar.

The key difference for me is the ability to use Hierarchical Keywords. LR Mobile doesn't offer this ability. LR Classic does. If that is important to you, then LR Mobile is off the options list unless you can find some sort of work-a-round.

The key difference for me is the ability to use Hierarchical Keywords. LR Mobile doesn't offer this ability. LR Classic does. If that is important to you, then LR Mobile is off the options list unless you can find some sort of work-a-round.
I wasn’t aware of that functionality. So one could create a taxonomy of metadata to generate a catalog of smart collections?

I wasn’t aware of that functionality. So one could create a taxonomy of metadata to generate a catalog of smart collections?
Smart collections and Keywords are two different ways of cataloging your collection. And they serve different purposes. Keywords allow you to tag your photos very specifically, e.g. Location>Country>State/Provence>Shooting Location. Another example from a recent trip: “Location>USA>FL>Circle B Bar Reserve”
Or something less complicated: “Name>Swallows>Bank Swallow”. Note: It is not necessary to check all the keywords in a chain. Just the lowest level. When you export the file, all keywords above the lowest one will be exported automatically in the metadata of the photo.

Smart collections are a way of grouping collections of disparate photos. For instance you may want a collection of Raptors. That might include hawks/owls/kites etc. You can easily combine various keyworded groups in that collection.

Hope that all makes sense.

Also in the keyword there is a place for Synonyms. I use the area to enter the Latin name of the bird, ABA code, and alternative name such as the European name.

I see, this is very helpful. I’ll learn more about this quickly, as I’m currently rebuilding my image organization both in LR and LRC after a fault arising from disabling my sync momentarily between the two apps.

I have seen some of Tim's stuff over the years and liked it.

I learned LRC oganization primarily from a local pro friend. He taught me how to use the hierarchial key word structure that I need for rapid sorting and retrieval of specific birds from 58,000 images. The editing I learned primarily from Matt K with an assist from many others. I do keep things simple with only one catalog and it is on the same external SSD hard drive with all of my images and I use carbon copy cloner to make 4 exact duplicate drives and one is in a safety deposit box at all times (rotate it out about once a month) .

I also use the map and print modules exetensively and have a large group of export presets that I use multiple times each week for different end uses and users.

Light Room Classic handles all of what I need while LR does not. I have never used bridge except by accident in playing around with photo shop in the past. As LRC has grown so robust to fit my needs I have not used PS in at least 5 years.

So what was your biggest takeaway from the webinar?
As a LrC user, I was just even more convinced that LrC is where I'm staying due to lack of functions in Lr.
And maybe, as Tim said, there will be a entirely new product covering all our needs. Who knows?

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future"
Niels Bohr

Last edited:
I was hoping for more insights on how images are shared between LR and LRC with syncing. I’m storing LRC images on an external drive and LR images in the cloud only. An hour, of course, doesn’t offer much time to dip into the weeds. I don’t see myself leaving either LR or LRC in the near future. I would love to have all of the LRC functionality, all the time, but it’s not practical (security and physical-wise) for me to carry my laptop on trips. I may just sign up for one of his online course tracks… it’s time I took my skills to the next level. The new 2.0 Z8 firmware has me stepping up my game on the camera side now, so might as well go all in.

The Lightroom Queen also has a lot of very good information, both in books and online.

I use LrC very different than some folks.

If I'm back from a major shoot with thousands of images, I use either Photo Mechanic to sort and cull. Normally I just bring images onto a specific folder on my PC and use Bridge to rate. Three stars and up get keywords. Among the 3*s and up, I select ones to processing using first ACR and then moving into PS for the final processing as necessary, including creating a jpg.

THEN I review to photos with NO stars. I may "save" one or a few. But then all non-starred images go to the trash.

jpgs get uploaded to my website.

THEN I import the folder to LrC to take advantage of the catalog features.

I've use the process successfully for years. No stress about working on images or moving them outside of LrC until the very end. And even then, I can re-sync a folder if I need to.

+1 on LRQ… I visit that resource regularly, though haven’t taken any courses.

I like your workflow… I really need to formalize my own which is sorely lacking in the cull department. I did get some valuable knowledge about Bridge which has until now been kind of a phantom app lurking in the background. I’ll check it out more now, esp. in the context that you are finding it useful.

I still have thousands of images that I imported early on (2000-2008-ish) into Apple’s photo apps, including the current and past versions of iPhoto/Photo and Aperture. Still have some old catalogs stored which I need to open up, weed out dupes, sort and bring into the Lightroom universe. I can just hear Dr. Smith… ’oh the pain, the pain…’

Back