Adobe announcement Tuesday 23 May

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I got a notice from Scott Kelby that he will presenting .. see below screen shot of the email

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 10.24.07 PM.png

So this is only in the beta? Meaning not ready for prime time?
Not exactly.
You can download now - photography as we knew it has ended :mad:

Download Photoshop 24.5 if you have access - to see what I mean by photography as we knew it has ended.

The AI part is still Beta - like de-noise in Lightroom - implying Adobe intend to improve it over the coming months.
Right now it turns photography as we knew it on its head.

The Remove tool (in Photoshop 24.5) also uses AI.

Only the AI generative fill is in BETA. And is also only designed to use on images 1024 long side. Good enough to play around with and test. And boy is everyone on YouTube testing...

The one place where I think this would come in handy for me is where I've got a really nice action shot but the subject is too close to the edge of the frame. This should be a relatively quick and easy way to extend the frame.

I'm not too sure that the sky is falling and that photography is officially over. It won't really change how I go about photography or what I put up on my walls. The vast majority of people using a camera are doing so to record memories and an AI tool won't generate memories. They don't want a random cat on a sofa because they want their cat.

It will absolutely affect professionals and their ability to sell fine art photography but that's not a big slice of the photography market. The tools have been around for digital art for quite a while but they've just been harder to use.

Just a quick extend canvas and then AI filled the new parts to the left and right. Gave a much better result than Content-Aware Crop to extend canvas.

Before:
A1_02129-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

After

A1_02129-Enhanced-NR-Edit2.jpg

Attachments

• A1_02129-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
    A1_02129-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 41
  • A1_02129-Enhanced-NR-Edit2.jpg
    A1_02129-Enhanced-NR-Edit2.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
It's just another tool. Not going to obsolete any thinking feeling sentient beings.

Just a quick extend canvas and then AI filled the new parts to the left and right. Gave a much better result than Content-Aware Crop to extend canvas.
Well done on a very pleasing result. I have no idea how this will play off - does one inform your viewer in future you did some creative thinking? If not - are you cheating? if you do - will they appreciate the image as before?

Well done on a very pleasing result. I have no idea how this will play off - does one inform your viewer in future you did some creative thinking? If not - are you cheating? if you do - will they appreciate the image as before?
People edit skies and have used other methods to add size to the sides of a canvas and I don't ever see anyone calling that out. I for one limit things to taking out a distracting branch but I am not a photojournalist so I don't see issue in it but photography is art.

Another tool that already exists in Photoshop is content aware scaling. You protect the subject then stretch each of the remaining pixels slightly. Same idea, just human controlled.

Another tool that already exists in Photoshop is content aware scaling. You protect the subject then stretch each of the remaining pixels slightly. Same idea, just human controlled.
not the same - but of course there are lots of ways to do lots of things. stretching pixels is not ideal. this method is not perfect either - but it will get better and better very quickly

I am curious how would it do removing the bright yellow flower under the middle eagles chin? It would also need to do the one in the reflection.
I tried and just drew circles around the yellow flower and the two reflections (one on the smooth water and one on the ripples). AI gave me 3-6 choices to look at. I probably could have done better just using clone stamp and some other techniques but it was fast and looks fine.

A1_02129-Enhanced-NR-Edit-Edit.jpg

Just watched Kelby's YouTube on this - he has a few clips of an Adobe employee(?) pop up once in a while. At around 1:08:14 he says that you have "unlimited use right now". That might imply that this will be a paid feature in the future...

I tried and just drew circles around the yellow flower and the two reflections (one on the smooth water and one on the ripples). AI gave me 3-6 choices to look at. I probably could have done better just using clone stamp and some other techniques but it was fast and looks fine.

View attachment 61889
Nice! Really helped the image as well. Sure wish we had opportunities like this around here.

When will Adobe start claiming copyright on images thus enhanced by a certain margin, or greater?

For those apt to do so, don't take my question too seriously, as Adobe, and also other sotfware companies, certainly adds a lot to our photos now. And brush makers don't horn in on the rights to paintings created with their brushes.

My point is to ask at what point do we leave the camera at home, go for a walk, and then describe the scene to voice recognition tools for fully-enabled AI generators to create the shot totally within the computer. And, BTW, at that point, we can also skip the walk...

To paraphrase Jimmy Buffet, it will be "Like someone who's never seen the ocean trying to describe it."

Back