AF Hand-Off with AF Cycle Feature.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

doclrb

Supporting Member
I have watched Steve’s recent AF video several times. I am NOT a fan of using buttons for override. So…can AF Handoff be accomplished the cycle-AF feature. It seems that one could use that feature to do so, but is there some overriding reason why it won’t work?

Many Thanks

Les

I have watched Steve’s recent AF video several times. I am NOT a fan of using buttons for override. So…can AF Handoff be accomplished the cycle-AF feature. It seems that one could use that feature to do so, but is there some overriding reason why it won’t work?

Many Thanks

Les
No, AF needs to be continually active for a full seamless handover. You can quickly switch from one AF Area mode to another with the cycle feature but it wouldn’t be a seamless handover it would just be selecting a new area mode and starting from scratch in terms of AF and subject detection continuity.

Regardless of Firmware (5.0 on Z9), I often Handoff on a subject against a cluttered background, and/or amongst twigs, grass or similar vegetation.

This uses C1 of 2*5 (Fn1) and C2, of 1*1 (Fn2) - AF mode+AFOn - toggling whichever works better in the situation with 3D on BBAF.

I've refined this method since learning it on DSLRs (then D500 circa 2016, currently D6): toggling Tighter<>Wider AF modes. Obviously, the Z9 Mirrorless AF system's Subject Detection often needs an extra layer of control, which can require Turning SD Off/On, or Switching the SD mode: Bird <> Animal.

Here I find the quickest switch between Subject Detection modes is to assign the Subject Mode options as the "Access top item in MyMenu" in a Custom Button [Display]

Longer Read:

Last edited:
To repost ..... overview of Nikon's AF modes underlying the need for the Handover method (aka Hybrid AF), to leverage respective strengths of the modes :-

AutoAF mode extends the CFP (closest focus priority) of the Group Area modes across the entire AF search area. As in the Pro DSLRs (D6, D5 Triumvirate), AutoAF is very useful in the Z9 to track an erratic subject against distant backgrounds, open water etc;

AutoAF: clutter in the scene, including twigs etc, will often discombobulate AutoAF off the subject, although the Z9 subject detection buffers this tendency somewhat. But subject detection has its limits, obviously. However, when it works, Auto is stickier on subjects closer to frame borders, compared to 3D;

3D Tracking: works better at tracking the subject within/against clutter, especially with Subject Detection. IME the D6 AF modes follow this general rule, although D6 subject detection is weaker, its AF modes are far less likely to grab the background (thanks to the full set of cross-type sensors).

So as a rough rule, the background/habitat structure determines whether to Hand off from a tighter AF mode (I use a Custom Area) to AutoAF or 3D.

Any AF mode will struggle if the subject is too small in the frame.

Last edited:
Back