Africa gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just watched Steve’s video on what gear he takes to Africa. Thanks Steve- very informative. Because I am a small woman, I now find myself using the Nikkor 400 mm prime f4.5 lens with a 1.4x TC almost exclusively on a z8. The quality is fantastic. I also have a 180-600mm but it’s a little heavy for me and the new 28-400mm which is okay. I have a trip to Africa planned. Looking for suggestions- will the 400 f4.5 with 1.4xTC work? Should I also bring the 180-600? I’m open to looking at other purchases. I recently brought both the 400 and 180-600 on a trip and only used the 180-600 once. Thanks for the help and advice.
Depending on your interests, as a Tanzanian-based nature photographer, I highly recommend having a wide lens like a 24-120mm. You will often have the opportunity to capture stunning landscape perspectives.

Karibu Tanzania :)

The reason that I prefer the 100-400mm zoom and 600mm TC combo is that the 600mm is just a superb lens. The built in TC is made for this lens and does not have to compromise by being used on other lenses. The 180-600mm doesn't do was well with a 1.4 TC (my wife has one). However, the think that the 400 f/4.5 may out do the 100-400mm at 400mm, so compromises have to be made. While African wildlife is sometimes too close to use the 600mm, I did find that I used it the most in Africa, either at 600mm or at 840mm. Good luck to you on your trip.

I did take my 180-600 with me last April on my Kruger safari along with my 600mm TC but in July will I go back to Kruger and will that be again with the 100-400mm lens together with the 600mm TC. And yes, also back in April did I have a 3rd body with me and on that one was a 24-120mm f/4 attached to it. Did use that also to get the animal in the landscape. With just the 180-600 and 600 TC will I miss out too much as I need those mm's below 180mm.

I did take my 180-600 with me last April on my Kruger safari along with my 600mm TC but in July will I go back to Kruger and will that be again with the 100-400mm lens together with the 600mm TC. And yes, also back in April did I have a 3rd body with me and on that one was a 24-120mm f/4 attached to it. Did use that also to get the animal in the landscape. With just the 180-600 and 600 TC will I miss out too much as I need those mm's below 180mm.
I'm doing my first Africa trip later this year and that's pretty much the "strategy" that I opted for as well. 3 bodies (Z9, Z8, Z6II) with 600pf, 100-400 and 24-120 respectively. Should hopefully cover all my bases.

Depending on your interests, as a Tanzanian-based nature photographer, I highly recommend having a wide lens like a 24-120mm. You will often have the opportunity to capture stunning landscape perspectives.

Thank you! That is good to know- it will be nice to capture all there is to see there. I’m getting another z8 and right now there’s a special that includes the 24-120 lens. That was my incentive for getting the other z8 now. I think it will be useful to have.

Last October I went on a photography trip to Botswana. On the Chobe River, in the Okavango Delta and in the northern Kalahari. Shortly before, I received the 180-600 mm and a few days before departure the firmware update with bird detection appeared. I still have the 100-400 mm, which I left at home, and the FTZ II adapter. To be on the safe side, I took my D500, the 500 PF and the 24-120 mm with me. I never used the D500 and the 500 PF. For a few shots, landscape and astro, I used the 24-1200. Since the light was always very good I had no problems with 5.6/6.3 and I appreciated the flexibility of a zoom lens.
Now I'm going to Zambia in June 2025 and I'm thinking about whether it makes sense to buy the 600/6.3. I was able to test this lens recently and it is very good and also lighter than the 180-600. But does it make sense to own 180-600 and 600? I'm also thinking about getting a second camera, Z8. But taking photos with 2 cameras might be too much for me. Of course, there is also the weight of the photo backpack. Not much luggage is allowed on the small planes, but this has already been described in many other comments.

It makes sense to have something below 180. Did you use the 180-600 or mostly only the 600? I hope you have a great trip in July.

Agree with this. As soon as I returned from Senegal, I ordered a 20mm for my second body. I rather regretted just using the cell phone for landscapes but because I am also very tiny (5'2") I was still testing out whether I could bird & hike with the 400mm. Now I'm more confident of my ability to manage two cameras + binoculars. It seems like a no-brainer for the kind of Africa travel where you're mostly working from a vehicle.

Agree with this. As soon as I returned from Senegal, I ordered a 20mm for my second body. I rather regretted just using the cell phone for landscapes but because I am also very tiny (5'2") I was still testing out whether I could bird & hike with the 400mm. Now I'm more confident of my ability to manage two cameras + binoculars. It seems like a no-brainer for the kind of Africa travel where you're mostly working from a vehicle.
Thank you- what gear did you bring? The 400mm?

It makes sense to have something below 180. Did you use the 180-600 or mostly only the 600? I hope you have a great trip in July.
Well, both have their usage, mammals close by are captured by the zoom lens as 600mm is just way too close. Yes, 600mm and 840mm are great to isolate a wild dog for instance or get a head shot from a lion but the 840mm is great for birding. I love raptors and vultures but there are so many smallish birds around that got my TLC ;-).

Thank you- what gear did you bring? The 400mm?
Yes, I brought a Nikon ZZii + the 400mm because I'm a very new photographer & primarily a birder. I wanted to make sure I could actually do all the hiking etc. required while adding a camera with such a large lens (for me) while still carrying my trusty Swarovski 8.5x42. I forgot to bring my belt + capture plate and I am short-legged as well as just plain short, so in a few places while hiking, I was very conscious of the length of the 400mm. But for a vehicle focused trip, this wouldn't be a worry.

I'm doing my first Africa trip later this year and that's pretty much the "strategy" that I opted for as well. 3 bodies (Z9, Z8, Z6II) with 600pf, 100-400 and 24-120 respectively. Should hopefully cover all my bases.
I just got back from South Africa. That should have you covered. You might consider a 70-200 which I used a lot as I mainly shoot mammals and you often get pretty close.

Last October I went on a photography trip to Botswana. On the Chobe River, in the Okavango Delta and in the northern Kalahari. Shortly before, I received the 180-600 mm and a few days before departure the firmware update with bird detection appeared. I still have the 100-400 mm, which I left at home, and the FTZ II adapter. To be on the safe side, I took my D500, the 500 PF and the 24-120 mm with me. I never used the D500 and the 500 PF. For a few shots, landscape and astro, I used the 24-1200. Since the light was always very good I had no problems with 5.6/6.3 and I appreciated the flexibility of a zoom lens.
Now I'm going to Zambia in June 2025 and I'm thinking about whether it makes sense to buy the 600/6.3. I was able to test this lens recently and it is very good and also lighter than the 180-600. But does it make sense to own 180-600 and 600? I'm also thinking about getting a second camera, Z8. But taking photos with 2 cameras might be too much for me. Of course, there is also the weight of the photo backpack. Not much luggage is allowed on the small planes, but this has already been described in many other comments.
I am asking myself the same questions. Take the 180-600 and 400 f4.5 along with the 24-120 or buy the 600 pf and 100-400 along with the 24-120. But I don’t know if owning both the 600 pf and the 180-600 makes sense. Reviews show the zoom at 600 to be pretty good compared to the 600 pf. The only reason for me is that the 600 pf is much lighter than the 180-600. Taking two cameras though is a good idea, which is why I’m getting a second z8. I’ve wanted it anyway so I can always have two different lenses without switching all the time. I also have the new 24-400 but I’m considering returning it.

Yes, I brought a Nikon ZZii + the 400mm because I'm a very new photographer & primarily a birder. I wanted to make sure I could actually do all the hiking etc. required while adding a camera with such a large lens (for me) while still carrying my trusty Swarovski 8.5x42. I forgot to bring my belt + capture plate and I am short-legged as well as just plain short, so in a few places while hiking, I was very conscious of the length of the 400mm. But for a vehicle focused trip, this wouldn't be a worry.
Thanks- I use my 400!with a 1.4 tc and like it better than the 180-600 at 600. But of course the latter is more versatile. Just heavy!

Well, both have their usage, mammals close by are captured by the zoom lens as 600mm is just way too close. Yes, 600mm and 840mm are great to isolate a wild dog for instance or get a head shot from a lion but the 840mm is great for birding. I love raptors and vultures but there are so many smallish birds around that got my TLC ;-).
Thank you. I’m very much interested in seeing the birds which is adding to my dilemma!

while i don’t have africa experience i will say i think trying to optimize to get every shot isn’t the only way to shoot

i’ve started using the 400 4.5 almost exclusively in dog sports and there are absolutely cases where it’s not the best choice; yet, there’s a fair number of cases where it can work and often you get a unique perspective when you force yourself to work within constraints. yes, you’ll miss some opportunities but there also can be rewarding upsides

while i don’t have africa experience i will say i think trying to optimize to get every shot isn’t the only way to shoot

i’ve started using the 400 4.5 almost exclusively in dog sports and there are absolutely cases where it’s not the best choice; yet, there’s a fair number of cases where it can work and often you get a unique perspective when you force yourself to work within constraints. yes, you’ll miss some opportunities but there also can be rewarding upsides
Thank you. That’s a good point. I absolutely love the 400 f4.5. I think it’s a phenomenal lens for the price. I also miss shots - sometimes I can’t get a focus because it’s just too close but the ones I get I’m happy with.

That was kind of what I was thinking because of the weight and size constraints I have. I found another small woman photographer online who was using it, which gave me encouragement. There is always going to be a bird just a little too far away but I'm not out to photograph every bird, just a selected few from each day.
Thanks- I use my 400!with a 1.4 tc and like it better than the 180-600 at 600. But of course the latter is more versatile. Just heavy!
Yes. Some days I used the 1.4TC, some days I didn't. Whatever I decided, I stuck with it all day because I didn't want to remove the lens in a dusty environment, and the Sahel is VERY dusty.

That was kind of what I was thinking because of the weight and size constraints I have. I found another small woman photographer online who was using it, which gave me encouragement. There is always going to be a bird just a little too far away but I'm not out to photograph every bird, just a selected few from each day.

Yes. Some days I used the 1.4TC, some days I didn't. Whatever I decided, I stuck with it all day because I didn't want to remove the lens in a dusty environment, and the Sahel is VERY dusty.
the upside is there are a variety of high quality lightweight options from which to build your setup. the 24-120, 400 4.5 and 600pf are all great, and i could see if you could tolerate the weight, a dual camera setup with one lens from that set on each body might be pretty nice and "reasonably" lightweight.

Back