Am I really losing much converting NEF files to DNG

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Interesting quote from that article sums it up:

Instead of converting a camera’s photographs to DNG format, it’s easier to store files in whatever RAW format a camera supports natively. Whether that’s Canon’s CR3, Nikon’s NEF, Sony’s ARW, or some other RAW file type, this will guarantee full quality and ease with the manufacturer’s software.

This. The OP stated "When I got my Z9 I started using star HE raw files"; the best resolution in my mind is to stop doing that and shoot to NEF.

The reasons given were "less likely to run into buffer problems and more images could fit on a particular card" and those reasons do not to me justify the varied issues with having to convert each and every HE file to DNG, just to have compatibility with the few apps that don't support HE, but *do* support NEF just fine.

However, compatibility with third-party software might be better with a DNG file.

I can't think of a single third-party app/plug-in that does not support NEF.

Chris

This. The OP stated "When I got my Z9 I started using star HE raw files"; the best resolution in my mind is to stop doing that and shoot to NEF.
By “NEF” I assume you mean the Lossless Compressed raw format. All three raw file options which Nikon cameras use (Lossless Compressed / HE* / HE) are stored with the extension “.NEF”.

Back