An non-NPS orders, ordered after the launch day?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just wondering how fast stores are going through their non-NPS orders. If they are still working through orders that were placed on the launch day?

Reading the last page of the linked thread was pretty interesting. Seems to be a common theme that people are getting cameras quicker through local B/M stores than through B and H. Also Amazon seems to be doing a good job of not accepting a huge backlog of orders and therefore delivering in a reasonable timeframe for those who manage to place an order with them.

Seems to be a common theme that people are getting cameras quicker through local B/M stores than through B and H.

My latest theory is, BH took a ton more orders than others (even more than you think they would) because their CC offered financing, and eliminated sales tax on an expensive product. I ordered mine from Adorama on the morning of the 28th (not right when I woke up, and I am PST zone) and it already arrived. I am sure Nikon is adjusting for BH's order size, but not enough to keep up.

Reading the last page of the linked thread was pretty interesting. Seems to be a common theme that people are getting cameras quicker through local B/M stores than through B and H. Also Amazon seems to be doing a good job of not accepting a huge backlog of orders and therefore delivering in a reasonable timeframe for those who manage to place an order with them.
I’ve found that ordering through my local dealer worked well. That’s how I purchased my 500 pf. Before I ordered with my local store I was waiting on BH for almost 6 months. Also been more successful ordering directly from Nikon when equipment is on back order. I waited for months to see when the TC 1.4xlll would be available at BH. No luck. Went on Nikon website where it was on backorder , place the order and in less than 2 weeks it shipped.

Well, it does seem the suggestion of working through a smaller, local store might help. On a lark, this morning I decided to call a local underwater photography store which is also a Nikon dealer. She said she had one “on the way, should be here next week” and wasn’t already spoken-for. Gave her my credit card info and now crossing my fingers that “should be here next week” does indeed come to pass.

Well, it does seem the suggestion of working through a smaller, local store might help. On a lark, this morning I decided to call a local underwater photography store which is also a Nikon dealer. She said she had one “on the way, should be here next week” and wasn’t already spoken-for. Gave her my credit card info and now crossing my fingers that “should be here next week” does indeed come to pass.
Been looking around but have not found any stores that give me any hope.

From Nikon Rumors. B&H and Adorama are still fill preorders from launch day. I am not surprised as they are the "go to" store for many people.

From Nikon Rumors. B&H and Adorama are still fill preorders from launch day. I am not surprised as they are the "go to" store for many people.

I believe B&H is up to orders placed around 11 am on Oct. 28.

FWIW, and not to rub salt in any wounds, but the Z9 I ordered last week is now in my hands. Woohoo! (I’m not NPS)

FWIW, and not to rub salt in any wounds, but the Z9 I ordered last week is now in my hands. Woohoo! (I’m not NPS)
Congrats. You did the legwork and reaped the rewards. Those who want to rely on B&H for these types of hot ticket products will always be in for long waits unless ordering in the first few mins.

I think there are two things at play. One is that I've heard that unlike with previous new releases more people are sticking with their pre-orders and not canceling them. That and I suspect many NPS members are ordering their's late and cutting in line like a fast pass at Disney World. That keep pushing non NPS orders back.

I'm not NPS, nor did I order from B&H. Z9 ordered from Crutchfield on 12 November and still waiting. They have sent a couple "your place in line is assured" type emails, but have been unable/unwilling to relay how many pre-orders they have, how fast they are filling them or where I stand in the queue.

I was just notified yesterday that my Z9 was shipped from Bedfords. YAY! I am not NPS (tried, but never heard back, so guess I was rejected!) and I ordered the day after the release as I was a bit nervous about giving a credit card (I am still on two other lists--Roberts and Service Photo--neither of which asks for a card for pre-orders--which I placed on Day 1, of course now cancelling those.) Nice thing about Bedfords is that I got a nice discount too, using Artie Morris' BIRDSASART code.

So I should have it tomorrow! A bit nervous actually as to the learning curve, wish Steve would hurry up with his update :)

it can take several weeks for them to get back to you. my experience is they will send you a rejection email if that's the direction they go, and at that point you can make a case for why you qualify.
Thanks. It's actually been a couple of months so I don't expect to hear now. Maybe I'll try again as I sort of was in a rush and possibly didn't put in all the needed info (was trying to get on the Z9 NPS lists like everyone else.) Anyway, my Z9 is now here so no rush!

I've heard that the initial pre-orders were they highest of any Nikon camera. But I've also heard that pre-orders after the initial ship date in late December exceeded pre-orders.

There is little adverse impact from NPS orders at this point. Yes - there are still new NPS orders being placed, but the volume is small in comparison to the total non-NPS orders being shipped.

B&H is the largest dealer in the world and they maintain a wait list for pre-orders. It's going to take longer for them to fulfill orders than other dealers. Other large dealers have similar issues.

Nikon is going to produce and ship around 25,000 Z9 cameras by the end of March, and another 50,000+ over the next twelve months. That puts it on track to be above the level of the D3 - their best selling flagship camera ever. Pre-orders were higher than any Nikon camera ever produced - above the D800/D800E.

If you are applying for NPS, don't cut corners with the application. Provide the detail needed to clearly demonstrate you are a professional even if it does not fit neatly in categories or fit their questions. The are getting a lot of bogus applications right now from people who want a Z9 so they are rejecting incomplete applications and applications that make it hard to figure out whether someone is really a professional. For example, I looked at a "professional's" website recently and all it talked about was their love of photography and travel. It never talked about what they did professionally or market their services. As expected, they were declined by NPS.

One of the nice features of NPS is NPS Member only monthly webinars. The programming has been quite good so far. It's been a nice benefit.

Back