Anyone have the sony 100-400?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If the swallows are close enough for 400mm than it is probably the best lens because it is so agile and has the dual-linear motors giving it an edge over the 200-600. 400GM would be better for AF speed but loose out in agility and arm fatigue.

I tried out the 100-400 last year on swallows (although I primarily suffer through with the 600GM...arms don't thank me after that much handholding).

A few examples. Last one with 1.4TC on the 100-400...

April 11, 2021.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
April 11, 2021-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
April 11, 2021-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
Superb shots!

Here are a few images I took last week with the 100/400
DSC01857-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
DSC01858-Edit.jpg
DSC01865-Edit.jpg
DSC01887-Edit.jpg
DSC01908-Edit.jpg

Here's another couple images of an Eastern Towhee. The background is atrocious but the bird is pretty and it definitely shows the capability of the lens.
DSC01830-Edit.jpg
DSC01823-Edit.jpg

Reactions: Hut
So what is your thoughts of Sony vs Nikon? Are you loving the Z9 and keeping it or moving to one system?
I definitely like the Sony body better mainly because of size and weight. The 200/600 and now the 100/400 are as good as any prime I've used and far more versatile. Having said that, I don't have anything to compare it to because Nikon can't seem to produce the 200/600 and I waited for 5 months to no avail for the Nikon 100/400. I am not sure I'll keep the Z9 but it is certainly a good camera. My dilemma is, I have 8 -9 Z lenses and they are all incredible lenses. For now at least short term, I will not purchase any further Nikon products until I see how they're heading as a company. I can say without any reservations that is pisses me the hell off regarding the lack of firmware improvements in the generation 2 z bodies. There are things needing attention as well in the Z9 via firmware but I'm at the point in my life that I refuse to wait or buy an item with the hopes that it will be improved down the road. If Nikon does something stupid such as announcing another camera they can't deliver without improving my Z6ii, then I'm out completely.

I definitely like the Sony body better mainly because of size and weight. The 200/600 and now the 100/400 are as good as any prime I've used and far more versatile. Having said that, I don't have anything to compare it to because Nikon can't seem to produce the 200/600 and I waited for 5 months to no avail for the Nikon 100/400. I am not sure I'll keep the Z9 but it is certainly a good camera. My dilemma is, I have 8 -9 Z lenses and they are all incredible lenses. For now at least short term, I will not purchase any further Nikon products until I see how they're heading as a company. I can say without any reservations that is pisses me the hell off regarding the lack of firmware improvements in the generation 2 z bodies. There are things needing attention as well in the Z9 via firmware but I'm at the point in my life that I refuse to wait or buy an item with the hopes that it will be improved down the road. If Nikon does something stupid such as announcing another camera they can't deliver without improving my Z6ii, then I'm out completely.
I get it. I felt the same way. Now I no longer have to deal with it. Anything I wanted I got either right away or preorders I got on launch day and that is ordering from B&H for the first a1 I bought and the 70-200MKII. Never had that experience with Nikon. Longest I waited for anything was 3 weeks for my 600GM. If I had the cash together just one week earlier I wouldn't have had any wait. Not bashing any brands but I will say over in Sony land I haven't had any issue getting anything I have wanted. I share the same opinion, I will buy for what a camera can do today not with hopes for firmware to fix things. I have never been more happy with a camera system.

I get it. I felt the same way. Now I no longer have to deal with it. Anything I wanted I got either right away or preorders I got on launch day and that is ordering from B&H for the first a1 I bought and the 70-200MKII. Never had that experience with Nikon. Longest I waited for anything was 3 weeks for my 600GM. If I had the cash together just one week earlier I wouldn't have had any wait. Not bashing any brands but I will say over in Sony land I haven't had any issue getting anything I have wanted. I share the same opinion, I will buy for what a camera can do today not with hopes for firmware to fix things. I have never been more happy with a camera system.
I agree, I have zero complaints about any of the Sony gear I've purchased so far. Man I would give anything if there was a viable adapter I could use my Z lenses with the Sony body. I hate to take the hit I know I would have to in selling all the Z lenses. The remaining lenses I would want from Sony plus another A1 body would be 15K. I know I could easily sell the Z9 at this point with no loss and possibly even a profit. The lenses are what concern me with selling.

I agree, I have zero complaints about any of the Sony gear I've purchased so far. Man I would give anything if there was a viable adapter I could use my Z lenses with the Sony body. I hate to take the hit I know I would have to in selling all the Z lenses. The remaining lenses I would want from Sony plus another A1 body would be 15K. I know I could easily sell the Z9 at this point with no loss and possibly even a profit. The lenses are what concern me with selling.
There is no free lunch but I’ll be the first to admit I tried to avoid doing a system switch. However now that I have I couldn’t be happier. If I hadn’t bought a z6 I would have likely never switched. But I’m sure glad it worked out this way. I’m in a better eco system for what I do.

There is no free lunch but I’ll be the first to admit I tried to avoid doing a system switch. However now that I have I couldn’t be happier. If I hadn’t bought a z6 I would have likely never switched. But I’m sure glad it worked out this way. I’m in a better eco system for what I do.
I'll see what happens over the next couple months before making a definite decision but I would be completely satisfied/happy having only Sony equipment.

So what is your thoughts of Sony vs Nikon? Are you loving the Z9 and keeping it or moving to one system?

both the sony and nikon 100-400s are super nice. the nikon has improved the handling a bit like fixing the lens creep and shortening up the extension and moving the balance back and such. of course nikon had the benefit of seeing sony's lens when they made theirs.

but they're both great.

both the sony and nikon 100-400s are super nice. the nikon has improved the handling a bit like fixing the lens creep and shortening up the extension and moving the balance back and such. of course nikon had the benefit of seeing sony's lens when they made theirs.

but they're both great.
I was a little hesitant at first regarding that focal length but after having had a couple weeks now, it’s completely fine for walking in the woods and such photographing birds. It would probably not be my first choice for shooting Eagles on the river or something and wide open spaces but it works just great for most places that I go birding. For birds in flight I have never seen a lens more accurate and quick to focus. One other factor with this lens that is great is the really nice bag comes with to store it in. Being as small as it is and the small size of the A1 I can throw it in a small camera bag and travel with it and possibly one more lens and have just about anything I could need.

but they're both great.
Oh I’m sure. Challenge with Nikon isn’t the quality it’s actually getting it.

Oh I’m sure. Challenge with Nikon isn’t the quality it’s actually getting it.
They must know I’m a new customer and are getting me my orders quickly compared to all the loyalist. 😆

It’s not that I don’t believe those who have suffered through endless waiting, but I had a Z9 in less than a month, placed an order for the 100-400mm a couple weeks ago just to get on the list in case I decided I wanted one hearing all the waiting stories and it’s on the way to me now. I passed on a second Z9 order last week so someone who is still waiting could have theirs as I didn’t need a second. Maybe I’m really lucky and should be a lotto ticket.

They must know I’m a new customer and are getting me my orders quickly compared to all the loyalist. 😆

It’s not that I don’t believe those who have suffered through endless waiting, but I had a Z9 in less than a month, placed an order for the 100-400mm a couple weeks ago just to get on the list in case I decided I wanted one hearing all the waiting stories and it’s on the way to me now. I passed on a second Z9 order last week so someone who is still waiting could have theirs as I didn’t need a second. Maybe I’m really lucky and should be a lotto ticket.
Yes you should buy a lotto!

Well this adds another consideration...I couldn't really tell if sharpness was just as good with a 2X. Anybody have the 70-200 f2.8 II and 2X tele? Anybody happy with the 2x on a prime? I haven't been too happy with a 2x on anything.
I have the 2x on the 70-200 GM ii and very happy with it as well is Dave above. Personally I don’t see a need for the 100-400 with my current combo. I know others will need stronger confirmation but to me it’s a fabulous match. Could be the new 70-200 is geared better for TCs.

Back