Anyone using an Eizo CS2740?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm presently using an NEC MultiSync PA271w monitor with a Dell XPS 8930 desktop (with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 8 GB GDDR6 video card), and am considering upgrading to an Eizo CS2740 UHD monitor. I was wondering if the upgrade would significantly improve my viewing/editing experience. As I frequently use Photoshop 2024, scaling of the UI would have to be employed. I was planning to use the interface scaling available under Photoshop Preferences. Hopefully, that would be adequate to view Photoshop text and icons. I also use Capture One Pro and need to see if there are any interface problems with this software. I was wondering if anyone has used the Eizo CS2740 with Photoshop and how they liked this monitor and the UI? Is the visual experience worth the upgrade from a 2560 X 1440 monitor? Reviews of the Eizo indicate excellent color accuracy but I am no longer doing as much color printing as I did in previous years. My NEC monitor is working well and I'm wondering how significant the visual difference would be? Is the added sharpness beneficial in photoediting? Appreciate your opinions.

Hiya Jack. I use an Eizo Curved FlexScan monitor, it is really good for doing photography stuff and media stuff and also good for watching films on. I hope that helps. I am thinking of selling it so open to offers. Feel free to message me more about it either here, on my Teleguard or email (all on my profile).

Lisa

With Photoshop the best setup is to use two monitors so one can be dedicated for the image being edited. Going back to Windows Vista this capability has been easy to set up with Photoshop. The second smaller display can provide more clarity with menu text and color accuracy is not important.

With Photoshop the best setup is to use two monitors so one can be dedicated for the image being edited. Going back to Windows Vista this capability has been easy to set up with Photoshop. The second smaller display can provide more clarity with menu text and color accuracy is not important.
Thanks, that’s a really good thought, although I’m limited to space in my computer room.

Hiya Jack. I use an Eizo Curved FlexScan monitor, it is really good for doing photography stuff and media stuff and also good for watching films on. I hope that helps. I am thinking of selling it so open to offers. Feel free to message me more about it either here, on my Teleguard or email (all on my profile).

Lisa
Thanks, Lisa but for now I’m specifically interested in the CS2740.

My 30" NEC is still doing a great job! Even though you can edit in 4K with a new monitor, most folks won't be able to view the video/images in 4K. Will you be doing large prints or lots of video?

My 30" NEC is still doing a great job! Even though you can edit in 4K with a new monitor, most folks won't be able to view the video/images in 4K. Will you be doing large prints or lots of video?
No large prints or video, but I do spend a lot of time editing images. I was just wondering how much the viewing experience is improved on a quality 4K monitor. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any Eizo dealers near me where I could view this monitor.

Do some Google research on the pro's and con's of 4K monitors. You might be surprised......at least you will be informed. Do you plan to use your current desktop? Although addressing video, I found these comments informative and relative to photos also:

"In fact, video and photo editing will also be more enjoyable due to the higher image quality with more vivid details and more screen real estate.

One thing you should take into account is your hardware. Rendering 4K content requires a lot of RAM, a strong GPU/CPU and you will need extra storage — depending on how complex your videos are and what format you’re using.

So, even though you can get a 4K monitor cheap nowadays, hardware to properly power it for some purposes is still expensive.

And when you consider that most of your viewers will still be watching your content in 1080p, as it’s still the standard and the most widespread resolution, you might want to ask yourself whether it is all really worth it."

The generally recommended minimum requirement these days is 16GB of ram (32 GB is better) and a video card with lots of GB.......since a lot of processing is done via the graphics card these days.

Do some Google research on the pro's and con's of 4K monitors. You might be surprised......at least you will be informed. Do you plan to use your current desktop? Although addressing video, I found these comments informative and relative to photos also:

"In fact, video and photo editing will also be more enjoyable due to the higher image quality with more vivid details and more screen real estate.

One thing you should take into account is your hardware. Rendering 4K content requires a lot of RAM, a strong GPU/CPU and you will need extra storage — depending on how complex your videos are and what format you’re using.

So, even though you can get a 4K monitor cheap nowadays, hardware to properly power it for some purposes is still expensive.

And when you consider that most of your viewers will still be watching your content in 1080p, as it’s still the standard and the most widespread resolution, you might want to ask yourself whether it is all really worth it."

The generally recommended minimum requirement these days is 16GB of ram (32 GB is better) and a video card with lots of GB.......since a lot of processing is done via the graphics card these days.

Thanks, Karen! My Dell 8930 is a few years old but has an i9 processor and 32GB of RAM, along with the NVIDIA RTX 2080 GPU with 8GB of video RAM. In addition to a 1TB SSD, it contains 3 HDDs totaling about 38TB. I considered it an economical alternative to NAS, considering 20TB Enterprise HDDs were selling for about $350 when I last checked. Although my GPU could be a little more beefy, it will probably suffice for UHD.

I have had the CS2740 for about 18 months and have been very happy. Stopped using my Dell 34inch curved monitor immediately, as well as editing on an Ipad Air late generation. I use almost exclusively LrC though vs PS. The CS2740 and my Canon Pro are great for printing with LrC soft-proofing. I did upgrade my computer but only because of developments in AI rather than anything to do with the monitor.

I have had the CS2740 for about 18 months and have been very happy. Stopped using my Dell 34inch curved monitor immediately, as well as editing on an Ipad Air late generation. I use almost exclusively LrC though vs PS. The CS2740 and my Canon Pro are great for printing with LrC soft-proofing. I did upgrade my computer but only because of developments in AI rather than anything to do with the monitor.
I love the curved monitor and thought they were better. What is better with the CS2740 flat over the Eizo curved one?

I use an Eizo CG2700X, it replaced my NEC Spectraview 2690. I had down selected my choice of monitors to two: the Eizo CG2700X and an ASUS LCD HDR monitor, in the end I went for the Eizo although I do still wonder if the ASUS would have been a better choice as ulimately I want to process HDR video for my 4K TV. If you have any queries on the CG2700X I can try and help.

I use Windows 10 and the scaling on the 4K CG2700X is a dream to use. The integral calibration is a set it and forget it, the monitor wakes up to do the calibration and does not rely on me remembering to do it manually which if I am honest was something I disliked having to do on my old NEC. I daisy chain a thunderbolt 4 cable from the monitor if I also need to plug in my laptop and get a full KVM, power and network over a single cable to the laptop.

I use an Eizo CG2700X, it replaced my NEC Spectraview 2690. I had down selected my choice of monitors to two: the Eizo CG2700X and an ASUS LCD HDR monitor, in the end I went for the Eizo although I do still wonder if the ASUS would have been a better choice as ulimately I want to process HDR video for my 4K TV. If you have any queries on the CG2700X I can try and help.

I use Windows 10 and the scaling on the 4K CG2700X is a dream to use. The integral calibration is a set it and forget it, the monitor wakes up to do the calibration and does not rely on me remembering to do it manually which if I am honest was something I disliked having to do on my old NEC. I daisy chain a thunderbolt 4 cable from the monitor if I also need to plug in my laptop and get a full KVM, power and network over a single cable to the laptop.
Thanks for the feedback! That’s an excellent monitor and a definite step up from the CS2740. One of my main concerns was how well the UI scaled with Photoshop 2024. I didn’t want to spend nearly $2000 on a monitor only to find I preferred the UI on my NEC MultiSync. Since I spend a lot of time photo editing, I was wondering if the visual experience, ie sharpness and color was enhanced on a quality 4K monitor. Admittedly, this is subjective, but would you say I’m glad I bought this monitor as there is a definite improvement in picture quality? I’m not printing much anymore, but do appreciate good color accuracy which this monitor is said to have.

If you are ok with a matte screen, then the CS2740 is a great display. For general photo editing you should set "due priority" to "brightness", which is not by default. Otherwise the visual contrast is a bit low.

Regarding 4K, if you have good eyesight then it is a big step up from HD or UHD.
I would not want to go back.
This is a quality led backlit screen, and doesn't lose any of its quality for years, so the only downside I see is that it is not a glossy screen, which brings along more breathtaking visuals if you like that.
I would describe it as a much more subtle display which grows on you.

I use an Eizo CG279X, and would not want to go back to a "standard" monitor. The UI on Eizo's Color Navigator software is very easy to use. I do find that it makes editing in both LR and PS a much easier task. I especially like the CG line of monitor's built-in sensor for color calibration. Eizo monitors are expensive, but I think you'll find that it's money well spent.

Thanks for the feedback! That’s an excellent monitor and a definite step up from the CS2740. One of my main concerns was how well the UI scaled with Photoshop 2024. I didn’t want to spend nearly $2000 on a monitor only to find I preferred the UI on my NEC MultiSync. Since I spend a lot of time photo editing, I was wondering if the visual experience, ie sharpness and color was enhanced on a quality 4K monitor. Admittedly, this is subjective, but would you say I’m glad I bought this monitor as there is a definite improvement in picture quality? I’m not printing much anymore, but do appreciate good color accuracy which this monitor is said to have.

To answer @Jack McEwan 's query on how well did the UI scale in Photoshop I would say very well. I was also concerned about how Windows and Adobe products would look on a 4K monitor, would the text be too small to read etc. Windows has its own scaling, I made no changes to Windows it defaulted to 150% scaling when I attached my 4K (UHD) monitor. It works 99.99% of the time, just occasionally the Outlook notification pop-up Window is not scaled, only item I have seen an issue with. Movies in HD (1080P) are played back at 1080P so quarter size, maximising the Windows App playback window gives soft, blurry view. I have not tried a 3rd party video player that supports upscaling, I think such an app should work at full screen. Adobe does not use Windows UI API, it does its own thing. Again Adobe Photoshop automatically scaled to my new 4K monitor. There is a setting in Photshop preferences > Interface > UI scaling which is set to Auto which works fine for me, not felt a need to try changing that.

Color is Eizo's strength so you won't get any better color accuracy. Higher pixel density will help with image sharpness, not seen a 2560 X 1440 monitor so hard to say if it is going to result in a level of improvement worth the extra $$. I went for a 4K monitor as I wanted to view the UHD video from my camera at native UHD resolution so I could edit the contrast, sharpness etc to look good when played back on my UHD TV. I did look at 5K monitors for editing, but they all suffer from reduced color accuracy, having a monitor that had both good video and still image color space reproduction was a high priority for me.

Last edited:
To answer @Jack McEwan 's query on how well did the UI scale in Photoshop I would say very well. I was also concerned about how Windows and Adobe products would look on a 4K monitor, would the text be too small to read etc. Windows has its own scaling, I made no changes to Windows it defaulted to 150% scaling when I attached my 4K (UHD) monitor. It works 99.99% of the time, just occasionally the Outlook notification pop-up Window is not scaled, only item I have seen an issue with. Movies in HD (1080P) are played back at 1080P so quarter size, maximising the Windows App playback window gives soft, blurry view. I have not tried a 3rd party video player that supports upscaling, I think such an app should work at full screen. Adobe does not use Windows UI API, it does its own thing. Again Adobe Photoshop automatically scaled to my new 4K monitor. There is a setting in Photshop preferences > Interface > UI scaling which is set to Auto which works fine for me, not felt a need to try changing that.

Color is Eizo's strength so you won't get any better color accuracy. Higher pixel density will help with image sharpness, not seen a 2560 X 1440 monitor so hard to say if it is going to result in a level of improvement worth the extra $$. I went for a 4K monitor as I wanted to view the UHD video from my camera at native UHD resolution so I could edit the contrast, sharpness etc to look good when played back on my UHD TV. I did look at 5K monitors for editing, but they all suffer from reduced color accuracy, having a monitor that had both good video and still image color space reproduction was a high priority for me.
Thanks for your timely and detailed responses to my questions. I suspect I’ll be purchasing the CS2740 at some point in the future. I must agree it would be nice to view UHD video from my Z9 in native resolution. Accurate color is an absolute must for color printing, which I have significantly cut back on since I retired.

Thanks for your timely and detailed responses to my questions. I suspect I’ll be purchasing the CS2740 at some point in the future. I must agree it would be nice to view UHD video from my Z9 in native resolution. Accurate color is an absolute must for color printing, which I have significantly cut back on since I retired.
Interesting comment. If "accurate color is an absolute must...."......have you color calibrated the source file.....i.e. the file created by the camera? The RAW file?

Calibrating your camera's color profile is similar to calibrating the monitor's display of that file. Canon, Nikon, etc all have a "special sauce" for reflecting colors. If your camera is skewing colors one way or another, the monitor will simply display the colors in the raw file.

However, if you create a custom camera color profile, then the software/monitor will display the most accurate colors. THIS article explains the process.

However, if you like the colors your camera records, regardless of exact accuracy, ignore this entire post! LOL!

Matching the monitor colors to printing is a totally separate process. It simply takes the monitor colors and matches them to a print.

Interesting comment. If "accurate color is an absolute must...."......have you color calibrated the source file.....i.e. the file created by the camera? The RAW file?

Calibrating your camera's color profile is similar to calibrating the monitor's display of that file. Canon, Nikon, etc all have a "special sauce" for reflecting colors. If your camera is skewing colors one way or another, the monitor will simply display the colors in the raw file.

However, if you create a custom camera color profile, then the software/monitor will display the most accurate colors. THIS article explains the process.

However, if you like the colors your camera records, regardless of exact accuracy, ignore this entire post! LOL!

Matching the monitor colors to printing is a totally separate process. It simply takes the monitor colors and matches them to a print.
Thanks, Karen for the excellent suggestion regarding the color calibration of RAW files. I presently use a Z8 and a Z9 and am generally satisfied with the color these cameras produce. I primarily do wildlife photography and do not have to be quite as precise as a photographer working in the advertising or fashion industry. I calibrate the NEC monitor with a colorimeter which is manufactured by X-Rite. I generally use Hahnemuhle Fine Art Paper for printing on a Canon printer. Hahnemuhle supplies printer-specific ICC profiles for their papers which I use in conjunction with Photoshop when printing an image. If your monitor is inaccurate you will likely be disappointed with the result coming out of the printer. Accuracy is a must for printing wildlife images but it doesn’t have to be quite as precise as that demanded in the advertising industry.

Back