Anyone using an Eizo CS2740?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you are ok with a matte screen, then the CS2740 is a great display. For general photo editing you should set "due priority" to "brightness", which is not by default. Otherwise the visual contrast is a bit low.

Regarding 4K, if you have good eyesight then it is a big step up from HD or UHD.
I would not want to go back.
This is a quality led backlit screen, and doesn't lose any of its quality for years, so the only downside I see is that it is not a glossy screen, which brings along more breathtaking visuals if you like that.
I would describe it as a much more subtle display which grows on you.
It's not a matte screen.

If you are ok with a matte screen, then the CS2740 is a great display. For general photo editing you should set "due priority" to "brightness", which is not by default. Otherwise the visual contrast is a bit low.

Regarding 4K, if you have good eyesight then it is a big step up from HD or UHD.
I would not want to go back.
This is a quality led backlit screen, and doesn't lose any of its quality for years, so the only downside I see is that it is not a glossy screen, which brings along more breathtaking visuals if you like that.
I would describe it as a much more subtle display which grows on you.
Thanks, Chris! This information was very helpful. I'm presently using a monitor that has a matte surface so I think this should not present a problem.

It's not a matte screen.
Is there a difference between "none-glare" and "matte"? If so, I was not aware of that.
In any case, it is not a glossy screen like apple displays, has a matte-ish look (to my eyes) and is described by Eizo as: "The monitor is equipped with an IPS non-glare panel".

I like the look of the screen, it has a quality much like Hahnemühle Photo Rag Pearl.
Sometimes I want to print glossy for the extra color and pop, but then go back because I miss the subtlety of the pearl surface.
That is the reason why I don't want a glossy screen.

Is there a difference between "none-glare" and "matte"? If so, I was not aware of that.
In any case, it is not a glossy screen like apple displays, has a matte-ish look (to my eyes) and is described by Eizo as: "The monitor is equipped with an IPS non-glare panel".

I like the look of the screen, it has a quality much like Hahnemühle Photo Rag Pearl.
Sometimes I want to print glossy for the extra color and pop, but then go back because I miss the subtlety of the pearl surface.
That is the reason why I don't want a glossy screen.
Have you ever tried Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta? I like this paper for wildlife prints. It's a compromise between glossy and more subtle surfaces.

I use an Eizo CG279X, and would not want to go back to a "standard" monitor. The UI on Eizo's Color Navigator software is very easy to use. I do find that it makes editing in both LR and PS a much easier task. I especially like the CG line of monitor's built-in sensor for color calibration. Eizo monitors are expensive, but I think you'll find that it's money well spent.
Thanks for the advice regarding Eizo monitors. I’ll likely be purchasing one in the next few months.

I have had the CS2740 for about 18 months and have been very happy. Stopped using my Dell 34inch curved monitor immediately, as well as editing on an Ipad Air late generation. I use almost exclusively LrC though vs PS. The CS2740 and my Canon Pro are great for printing with LrC soft-proofing. I did upgrade my computer but only because of developments in AI rather than anything to do with the monitor.
Thanks for the information! Glad to know you’re happy with the CS2740 after 18 months. I’ll probably purchase one in the near future.

Reactions: seh
Have you ever tried Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta? I like this paper for wildlife prints. It's a compromise between glossy and more subtle surfaces.
I have tried other baryta papers, and have found the color fidelity (even after calibrating) worse than the photo rag pearl, and blacks can come out a bit blocked.
If Hahnemühle does better here, than I should try it out

I have tried other baryta papers, and have found the color fidelity (even after calibrating) worse than the photo rag pearl, and blacks can come out a bit blocked.
If Hahnemühle does better here, than I should try it out
I was previously using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth and switched to Photo Rag Baryta after purchasing Hahnemuhle’s sample paper selection. The result is similar to what you would expect from a glossy surface but without the shine. I definitely preferr the Baryta to the other Hahnemuhle surfaces for wildlife images. It’s probably worth a try.

I'm presently using an NEC MultiSync PA271w monitor with a Dell XPS 8930 desktop (with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 8 GB GDDR6 video card), and am considering upgrading to an Eizo CS2740 UHD monitor. I was wondering if the upgrade would significantly improve my viewing/editing experience. As I frequently use Photoshop 2024, scaling of the UI would have to be employed. I was planning to use the interface scaling available under Photoshop Preferences. Hopefully, that would be adequate to view Photoshop text and icons. I also use Capture One Pro and need to see if there are any interface problems with this software. I was wondering if anyone has used the Eizo CS2740 with Photoshop and how they liked this monitor and the UI? Is the visual experience worth the upgrade from a 2560 X 1440 monitor? Reviews of the Eizo indicate excellent color accuracy but I am no longer doing as much color printing as I did in previous years. My NEC monitor is working well and I'm wondering how significant the visual difference would be? Is the added sharpness beneficial in photoediting? Appreciate your opinions.
Hi Jack,
I have been using the CS2740 as my main panel (for 1 1/2yrs) with an NVIDA RTX 4080 16GB video card along with an older Eizo CG22W as second and another Eizo CG22W now on a older Backup workstation. Two monitors are certainly better, IMO, than one large monitor even if curved. I really enjoy the experience of the CS2740 and with the easily accessible controls I can instantly change color space and monitor parameters instantly for output purposed reviews during my work. I have my own studio with large format Epson roll and cut sheet HD range printer. I am very much a "senior" an use the default scaling for menus and tools without strain reading the texts in menus and tools. As for compatibility of rendering through output software, No problems with LR&PS, Topaz, On1, CaptureOne, NX Studio, or DXO on Windows 11 Pro. My two older Eizos are from 2008 and 2009 and still produce great looking images on screen with color management. If I was buying a brand new monitor today, I would buy one that handles (i.e. compatible) with High-Definition (HD dynamic range) now available in Lightroom for which Eizo does have a model for that (the CS2740 is not HD compatible).

Reactions: DsD
Hi Jack,
I have been using the CS2740 as my main panel (for 1 1/2yrs) with an NVIDA RTX 4080 16GB video card along with an older Eizo CG22W as second and another Eizo CG22W now on a older Backup workstation. Two monitors are certainly better, IMO, than one large monitor even if curved. I really enjoy the experience of the CS2740 and with the easily accessible controls I can instantly change color space and monitor parameters instantly for output purposed reviews during my work. I have my own studio with large format Epson roll and cut sheet HD range printer. I am very much a "senior" a use the default scaling for menus and tools without strain reading the texts in menus and tools. As for compatibility of rendering through output software, No problems with LR&PS, Topaz, On1, CaptureOne, NX Studio, or DXO on Windows 11 Pro. My two older Eizos are from 2008 and 2009 and still produce great looking images on screen with color management. If I was buying a brand new monitor today, I would buy one that handles (i.e. compatible) with High-Definition (HD dynamic range) now available in Lightroom for which Eizo does have a model for that (the CS2740 is not HD compatible).
Really appreciate your very helpful comments regarding the CS2740. It’s good to know that you are not experiencing and problems with Ps or Capture One and that the menus are not eliciting eye strain, as I am also a senior. Again, thank you for your comments.

Back