Anyone using Sony A74?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I bought the Sony A7 when it first came out - it may have been a lemon but it was unreliable until just after the warranty run out and it died.
It was a great camera but I found out Sony doesn't repair their cameras themselves and spare parts are almost non-existent.
So the repair shop suggested I bought the newer model - now my A7 is a paperweight...🦘
that would sure be disappointing for sure

I have recently traded in my D850 with some Nikon lenses for the Sony a7iv after a lot of soul searching having used Nikon for over 50 years. I enjoy wild life, basically Africa. Reasons for change over were weight of equipment , looking for improved function such as eye autofocus, animal bird human, ether auto tracking and focussing. I have had a lot of time to devote to using the camera and the learning curve is quite steep,more than I thought. In summary I am impressed with image quality, lenses are great amd mid range lenses not that expensive. Very happy with changeover and hav not touched my remaining D500 since..
The a7iv is a very different camera to the a7Riv and do not mix the 2 up. Suggest you rent one for a few weeks and try it out. For info on how to use Sony manual sucks so go to MarkGaler‘s website. The video is good and changing over from still to video easy

I have recently traded in my D850 with some Nikon lenses for the Sony a7iv after a lot of soul searching having used Nikon for over 50 years. I enjoy wild life, basically Africa. Reasons for change over were weight of equipment , looking for improved function such as eye autofocus, animal bird human, ether auto tracking and focussing. I have had a lot of time to devote to using the camera and the learning curve is quite steep,more than I thought. In summary I am impressed with image quality, lenses are great amd mid range lenses not that expensive. Very happy with changeover and hav not touched my remaining D500 since..
The a7iv is a very different camera to the a7Riv and do not mix the 2 up. Suggest you rent one for a few weeks and try it out. For info on how to use Sony manual sucks so go to MarkGaler‘s website. The video is good and changing over from still to video easy
Thanks. Let me ask how big of an issue is the frame blackout for you when tracking a subject? I do very little "bird in flight" and even less action sports so I doubt it will be an issue. It's not an issue for me on the D500 when the viewfinder blacks out during the shot so I doubt if I would care all that much on a mirrorless unless it's really a lot different.

I do plan to rent something before I buy. I believe the $250 or so cost of a week's rental of a camera and lens could save some "buyer's regret" down the road should I not like the system (and add $250 to the total cost of the system if I liked it during the rental period).

Yes it is the A7iv not the A7Riv that I would be interested in. While the high resolution may be nice to have in some circumstances, I think for my photography the balance between file size, resolution, lower light capability somewhere in the 30-45mpx is the best spot for a FX camera (or somewhere between 20 and 25mpx for the DX format). The A7's 33mpx seems to be in a good place for that balance.

I wish Nikon would offer up a camera with Z9 trickle down focusing capabilities in the 30-45mpx range. Perhaps a Z6iii but I don't see that coming anytime soon. My guess is if they do a Z8 in the next year it's going to be another gazillion MPX monster with 80mb plus photo files and 30fps.

On the spec sheet the A7iv seems to be in a good place for me.

Thanks. Let me ask how big of an issue is the frame blackout for you when tracking a subject? I do very little "bird in flight" and even less action sports so I doubt it will be an issue. It's not an issue for me on the D500 when the viewfinder blacks out during the shot so I doubt if I would care all that much on a mirrorless unless it's really a lot different.

I do plan to rent something before I buy. I believe the $250 or so cost of a week's rental of a camera and lens could save some "buyer's regret" down the road should I not like the system (and add $250 to the total cost of the system if I liked it during the rental period).

Yes it is the A7iv not the A7Riv that I would be interested in. While the high resolution may be nice to have in some circumstances, I think for my photography the balance between file size, resolution, lower light capability somewhere in the 30-45mpx is the best spot for a FX camera (or somewhere between 20 and 25mpx for the DX format). The A7's 33mpx seems to be in a good place for that balance.

I wish Nikon would offer up a camera with Z9 trickle down focusing capabilities in the 30-45mpx range. Perhaps a Z6iii but I don't see that coming anytime soon. My guess is if they do a Z8 in the next year it's going to be another gazillion MPX monster with 80mb plus photo files and 30fps.

On the spec sheet the A7iv seems to be in a good place for me.
If you do buy the Sony then make sure you have a good local repairer.
My local Sony recommended repairer couldn't find an intermittent problem and didn't have the parts to repair it anyway...🦘

Hi Jeff, I have not noticed any blackout with tracking. I am glad that if you pursue this path you rent first. I have been thinking and would highly recommend that in addition to viewing Mark Galer's website https://www.markgaler.com you consider joining the private https://www.patreon.com/markgaler/posts. This Patreon website which he runs requires a monthly fee about Ausie $14 and does not require a specific length of membership ie monthly. On this he provides info about all the Sony a cameras and for you of interest is ths 500 page a7iv manual illustrated. In addition you can ask him directly any queries as I am no expert on this camera. This together with his private seminars available through your membership are worthwhile. Even if you only join for one month I believe your money will be well spent as you should read the manual before renting the camera or may well be disappointed with your rental. Hope this will be of value.

Hi Jeff, I have not noticed any blackout with tracking. I am glad that if you pursue this path you rent first. I have been thinking and would highly recommend that in addition to viewing Mark Galer's website https://www.markgaler.com you consider joining the private https://www.patreon.com/markgaler/posts. This Patreon website which he runs requires a monthly fee about Ausie $14 and does not require a specific length of membership ie monthly. On this he provides info about all the Sony a cameras and for you of interest is ths 500 page a7iv manual illustrated. In addition you can ask him directly any queries as I am no expert on this camera. This together with his private seminars available through your membership are worthwhile. Even if you only join for one month I believe your money will be well spent as you should read the manual before renting the camera or may well be disappointed with your rental. Hope this will be of value.
Thanks. I am also retired (former Project Manager now Nature Photographer). Time is one thing I have. When I was working, time was far more valuable than money, now that I'm retired, money is not as plentiful but time is abundant. Funny how that works... :)

Being a nature photographer some of the additional focussing features on the sony maybe well be of help especially the DMF feature of manual focus override and magnified live view. The trade in option was a great way to overcome the prohibitive costs. Another reason I settled on this camera was that apart from the Nikon z9 the intermediaries ie Z6 and Z7 were no match for the sony in my opinion and I felt the wait for the Z9 features to appear in the midrange models may take to long.

Being a nature photographer some of the additional focussing features on the sony maybe well be of help especially the DMF feature of manual focus override and magnified live view. The trade in option was a great way to overcome the prohibitive costs. Another reason I settled on this camera was that apart from the Nikon z9 the intermediaries ie Z6 and Z7 were no match for the sony in my opinion and I felt the wait for the Z9 features to appear in the midrange models may take to long.
Thanks. My wife shoots a Sony RX10-iv Bridge Camera. It has the DMF function also. I can see where that would be helpful especially for much of the macro work I do.

Do you need Macro or just close-up?? 🦘
"need" is a strong word. I do a lot of close up focus but I also do some true 1:1 macro, especially small spring wildflowers, insects and the inside of antique pocket watches and watch dials. While I would't put it with needs like food and shelter, macro is something that is important to me for when I want to use it....

Thanks,

The A7R IV loses to noise any resolution advantage it has over the III when ISO is over 400 (61 mpix v 42).
Nikon's AF is more reliable with static birds and a little more accurate with BIFs though harder to use.
The IV's UX was improved but is still well behind Nikon's.
The IV doesn't work that well with the Sony 200-600.

I use a D500, Sony A9 and A7R III for birds and the Sonys regularly fail to AF on small static birds. They're good at picking up a small erratic BIF almost anywhere in the frame.

The A7R IV loses to noise any resolution advantage it has over the III when ISO is over 400 (61 mpix v 42).
Nikon's AF is more reliable with static birds and a little more accurate with BIFs though harder to use.
The IV's UX was improved but is still well behind Nikon's.
The IV doesn't work that well with the Sony 200-600.

I use a D500, Sony A9 and A7R III for birds and the Sonys regularly fail to AF on small static birds. They're good at picking up a small erratic BIF almost anywhere in the frame.
Thanks. It is the new A7IV not the “R” version that I was curious about. It has a 33mpx which I treats me.

just curious how it would compare to my D500

Thanks. It is the new A7IV not the “R” version that I was curious about. It has a 33mpx which I treats me.

just curious how it would compare to my D500
I think you'll find it a big change. As someone said, see if you can try one out first.
Cp Nikons, they feel like toys.

Certainly WYSIWYG vf and no blackout are good for birds - but you've already learned how to shoot without those. D500 blackout has been measured at 60% but your vision copes.

The D500 has a big bright vf cp my Sonys. It only gives a brief red flash to confirm focus while the Sonys give continuous green boxes in Zone or Wide CAF (big enough to obscure bird details).

The D500 has body front custom buttons, the Sonys don't, meaning the right thumb has a lot to do.

Sony has improved the ergos but have stuck with small body sizes that aren't friendly to large lenses. Adding a grip is essential.

Last edited:
I think you'll find it a big change. As someone said, see if you can try one out first.
Cp Nikons, they feel like toys.

Certainly WYSIWYG vf and no blackout are good for birds - but you've already learned how to shoot without those. D500 blackout has been measured at 60% but your vision copes.

The D500 has a big bright vf cp my Sonys. It only gives a brief red flash to confirm focus while the Sonys give continuous green boxes in Zone or Wide CAF (big enough to obscure bird details).

The D500 has body front custom buttons, the Sonys don't, meaning the right thumb has a lot to do.

Sony has improved the ergos but have stuck with small body sizes that aren't friendly to large lenses. Adding a grip is essential.
Great perspective. Thanks

We have entirely different opinions. I would never choose the D500 over my A1 which is similar ergonomics and controls.
Everything about it is better.
im not certain of the customization on the A7 cameras but I bet it’s much better than the D500. Personally glad to give up front buttons personally. When I grab my D500 or D850 now they feel like they’re from a time gone by.
The one thing that has always bothered me about Nikon "Pro" bodies is the lack of "U1, U2, ... etc) settings. I find shooting banks useless.

I do like the D500 files. Regardless of if I'm shooting RAW or JPG the output files are beautiful. The colors are great, editing the files is almost effortless. I haven't used Sony interchangeable lenses enough to form an opinion. My RX10iv does always produce a bit of a yellow cast. Consistent and easy to sort out in post processing just something to keep in mind.

I haven't made up my mind yet. I am leaning to a Sony A7iv over the Nikon Z6ii or Z7ii. If there was a "Z8" or whatever it would be called that would put a 30-45mpix sensor, Autofocus that is very close to Z9 or A1 capabilities and shoot 10-20fps I would be a happy camper. 4K video would be a nice to have but if it shot really good 1080P I'm fine with that. I am not shooting video for National Geographic or major Hollywood studios.

Jeff S.

Reactions: Hut
Thom Hogan rates the A7R III as a better all-rounder than the IV. 62 mpix comes with costs. It requires better technique and better glass.

Don't know who Thom Hogan is, but I always buy the better glass first and the better cameras later. Maybe that's why I don't have any complaints about the A7RIV other than its AF tracking speed.

Jeff S ...

Bear in mind that Sony doesn't have lenses like the Nikkor 300 and 500 PF - pro standard lenses for an enthusiast price.
The latter on your D500 gives you 750mm which is ideal for birds.
You can get to 600mm with consumer zooms on a Sony FF - the minimum for bird shooting IMO. You can add a 1.4xTC to a Sony 100-400mm which works quite well IME and to a Sony 200-600mm which makes it too soft to my eye. Subject isolation suffers of course; not a problem with BIF but can be with portraits.

Jeff S ...

Bear in mind that Sony doesn't have lenses like the Nikkor 300 and 500 PF - pro standard lenses for an enthusiast price.
The latter on your D500 gives you 750mm which is ideal for birds.
You can get to 600mm with consumer zooms on a Sony FF - the minimum for bird shooting IMO. You can add a 1.4xTC to a Sony 100-400mm which works quite well IME and to a Sony 200-600mm which makes it too soft to my eye. Subject isolation suffers of course; not a problem with BIF but can be with portraits.

You can also use the crop mode on an A7RIV and still have a larger file than the D500 with the same crop.

Back