Are large tripods even necessary anymore?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a monopod, a lighter weight and a heavy duty tripod plus I shoot a lot handheld. Given where I am shooting, what I anm shooting and how I feel that day, I will use any of the above to get the shots. I can only handhold the Z9/800PF combo for a few shhots at a time and not for a whole day of shooting. If walking around, I will use the monpod with a ball head and Induro Sidekick gimbal. This works for a while and then I take a rest break on a benchor other rest spot to recharge. If in a fixed location like a blind or platform with the 800 PF, 500PF or even the 100-400 I will use a tripod so I can get some rest. I agree the heavy tripods help on uneven ground where the longer legs and weight help avoid off balance tipping of the camera/lens - like roadside shooting of birds in a marshy area. We each can pick the tools that assist in our individual situations.

I have a series 3 Gitzo systematic, leveling base and Wimberley gimbal. I use it fairly regularly if I am shooting not too far from the car. I do try to use a tripod and I do think it contributes to stability especially with longer lenses. Also tripods are sometimes necessary for certain types of landscape work for instance where you are playing with slow shutter speed with shots with moving water.

I have messed around a bit with focus stacking and a tripod is essential for that as well as a lot of macro work.

I have not used anything bigger than series 3. I have he longest version sine I am tall and often shoot on hills and uneven terrain.

I have played around with handheld lately and when doing that I typically have two cameras/lenses on straps. This makes hand held easier because I don't have to constantly hold the camera up, just pick it up to shoot and put it back down.

I have not been happy with my monopod technique unless I am sitting down I have trouble keeping things steady.

With the move to mirrorless we've had substantial weight and size reduction in our gear. Having said that, in the past I used my larger tripod far more often than I do now due to a heavier kit. I have four tripods now and for the last 3-4 years, I hardly ever take my TC34L RRS tripod out. I also have a series 2 Gitzo with center column which is a must for macro photography. I have a couple mini tripods I use occasionally but use the Gitzo far more than all of them. The small series 2 handles my 600f/4 and gimbal with ease, even carrying it attached. Most of the time when using larger lenses I remove the center column for added stability. Just wondering if others are finding they're using their large tripods less after transitioning to mirrorless?

I rarely use a tripod anymore. Only time I use one is when it's low light and the subject is staying in the same general location.

many years ago I bought a 3540L from Gitzo. That was enough to support the 1DX + EF 4/600L II.
I still use that tripod with my Z8 and 800PF, but also for landscape and macro and for birding with a scope.

I handhold the 800PF quite a lot because the Z8 + 800PF is just slightly more than 3.5kg, compared to 5.5-6kg for the 1DX + 1.4x + EF 600 II.
But I also like to use the tripod.

One way I brought the weight down is to mostly use my Flexshooter Pro now. It is much lighter than a Wimberley II or my Arca D4.
I do enjoy a geared head for landscape/macro but my D4 from Arca and an old Manfrotto one are both much heavier than the Flexshooter Pro.
And the Flexshooter works both for landscape/macro and wildlife, so I don't have to carry two heads, should I go hiking.
(when hiking in the mountains and you're facing 1000m meters of altitude or more to overcome, every gram you can save is great.)

I am thinking about getting a much lighter tripod for hiking and when I don't bring a big lens and only shoot landscapes or maybe a handheld shot of an animal with the Z 100-400.
Haven't found a model yet I like, many have center columns and I don't like that.

I probably don’t take my larger tripod out more than 10 times a year now.
You raise an interesting conundrum.

Going back about 20 years when Gitzo was the only good CF tripod easily available in the UK anything less than a series 3 generally did not provide enough stability for longer lenses combined with mirror slap and shutter shock DSLRs.

CF stability has improved quite a bit over two decades.
I consider my series 5 and Gitzo head that weigh over 8 lb are perhaps almost always overkill in 2024.
I have them from a time when they were needed but like you now rarely use them.

Gitzo has got heavier over the years. In addition when a friend bought a second hand one on eBay that did not perform as it should I established centre column stability was achieved with nothing more than an O ring :mad:

Starting out now with the experience I now have I do not know what I would buy - though unlikely Gitzo.

Too lightweight is a waste of money and something like a Gitzo Series 5 seems distinctly more than required for wildlife.

Plus I am increasingly finding Z in-lens VR and ML IBIS are becoming indistinguishable from using a good tripod and LLT in reasonable light.

For me it depends on what I am doing:
Wildlife - 90% of the time I do not use a tripod - due to lighter lenses, modern image stabilization. If I am moving around, for example hiking or kayaking, I do not use a tripod. If I am in one spot for an extended period, for example eagles at Conowingo with 800mm or more, yes I always use a tripod. When I use the Nikon Z800mm in a kayak I do not use a tripod.
Macro - for high resolution a tripod I use a tripod
Virtua tours - I always use a tripod
Stacking images - I always use a tripod
HDR - I always use a tripod
Landscape - I use a tripod 90% of the time.

For me it depends on what I am doing:
Wildlife - 90% of the time I do not use a tripod - due to lighter lenses, modern image stabilization. If I am moving around, for example hiking or kayaking, I do not use a tripod. If I am in one spot for an extended period, for example eagles at Conowingo with 800mm or more, yes I always use a tripod. When I use the Nikon Z800mm in a kayak I do not use a tripod.
Macro - for high resolution a tripod I use a tripod
Virtua tours - I always use a tripod
Stacking images - I always use a tripod
HDR - I always use a tripod
Landscape - I use a tripod 90% of the time.
There are certainly plenty of times I still use a tripod and most of that is for video and certain macro work. Also astrophotography is a must with using a tripod. I bought the series 2 gitzo because of the center column and in my opinion, that’s a must for macro photography. I guess ultimately what I’m trying to say in the thread it is, if someone were to steal my RRS tripod tomorrow, I don’t think I would replace it with something that heavy. In fact, I’m certain I would not. Back in the dslr days it seemed fitting but for most of my Sony mirrorless kit, it seems like using a backhoe to plant a seed lol. It is still nice at times with the 600 F4 but even that kit I think it’s only about 7 1/2 pounds with the Camera body and it’s just overkill. I have definitely carried that tripod on long hikes and after a couple miles, I wish I had left it at home lol.

I used Gitzo tripods for many years and was a great believer in having a solid tripod or none at all. Since going mirrorless I rarely use a big tripod but carry a monopod most of the time. I find it helps carrying and I am comfortable with my Z9 + 800pf on a monopod, balanced on my shoulder. I can almost walk without touching it.
Recently, I have bought a Peak Design compact tripod, mainly for macro use. I am very pleased with this and for macro it does everything I need. It is also easy to carry on the side of my backpack.

I used Gitzo tripods for many years and was a great believer in having a solid tripod or none at all. Since going mirrorless I rarely use a big tripod but carry a monopod most of the time. I find it helps carrying and I am comfortable with my Z9 + 800pf on a monopod, balanced on my shoulder. I can almost walk without touching it.
Recently, I have bought a Peak Design compact tripod, mainly for macro use. I am very pleased with this and for macro it does everything I need. It is also easy to carry on the side of my backpack.
I’ve never never seen one of those in person, but I’ve heard good things about the peak design tripod

I understand the desire to make photography fun - to have light weight gear and to avoid using a tripod. But there are compromises when you don't have a tripod or gimbal. There can also be situations that have benefits.

Precise composition - Many times the frame edges are important - both in terms of what you see and what is excluded. Precise positioning of specular highlights or other background elements within the frame makes stronger images. While it's possible to establish that framing handheld, what percentage of your images are discarded because of an intrusion or clipping at frame edge?

Staying on a subject longer - one of the best ways to get good images is to stay on the subject longer - not just seconds but minutes at a time. A tripod makes it much easier to stay on a subject for 5 minutes or longer while you wait for precise movement or action. Have you ever moved off a subject or lowered your lens - just before the perfect action?

Sharpness at lower shutter speeds - We all know how important it is to keep shutter speeds up for action. But there are times when you don't have enough light on the subject and have to slow your shutter speed to avoid excess noise. Stabilization is useful, but there are limits as to when it is valuable. While the keeper rate drops, some images involve very slow shutter speeds and using a tripod over relying on stabilization improves image quality.

Manual focus / magnified viewing - Bird photographers often run into a small subject that benefits from manual focus adjustment or magnified viewing. We can view a subject at 100% or more through the viewfinder - a way to improve manual focus, for identification, or looking for precise timing. When you are using a long lens, it's much harder to achieve precision with fine focus or magnified viewing. A tripod solves that problem.

Focus shift / Pixel shift / Auto Capture / HDR - All of these new features work best when you have a tripod because all of these features require multiple images with exactly the same composition. None of these techniques can be used without a tripod. Auto capture is a bit different in that it is usually set up to operate unattended, but a tripod or something similar to hold the camera in place is usually required.

Balancing action and movement with very slow shutter speeds - Last year I tried to make a photo of the master of foxhounds waving his cap at guests while standing in front of a waterfall. I wanted to slow the shutter speed to blur the water, but time the image so that his cap appeared sharp as his arm changed direction. I was using a 70-200 lens at 200mm with IBIS so I dropped the shutter speed to 1/10 second for the right blur of the waterfall - about 4.5 stops below 1/focal length. I took more than 30 photos trying to get a sharp image at a very slow shutter speed and not a single image was tack sharp due to various sources of movement and operating at the limits. I was running out of time. Ultimately I needed to raise my shutter speed to 1/20 slightly to get a sharp image because I did not have a tripod. I had to compromise creative intent because I lacked a tripod. This image would have been a lot easier with a tripod so I could frame the image and concentrate on timing with a high frame rate and short bursts.

If you are going through an entire year without using a tripod, are you missing something? I am certainly doing a lot more photography without a tripod. But I pay close attention to when a tripod is preferred, and try to use a tripod for those situation. I'm not using a tripod for midday travel photography, street photography, portrait photos or family photos because these photos normally don't require ultimate quality or precision . I don't use a tripod for equestrian, dog agility and pet photography as all of these require mobility. I don't normally use a tripod when hiking to photograph wildlife as the distances are longer and the photos are primarily for identification, social media or eBird use.

My view is that when I want to get the best images, I should be using a tripod most of the time.

For me nothing has changed with the move to mirrorless. I prefer a larger body like the Z8 and with heavier lenses or certain macro shots I need and enjoy using a tripod. For large fast telephoto lenses, I use RRS TVC33, leveling base and Wimberley gimbal head. It just provides an effortless stable platform. I also use a small tripod with leveling base that attaches to the RRS tripod that allows me to get ground level shots easily (pictures attached). For macro where I’m going to do focus stacking (stationary objects) I use RRS tripod, ball head and focusing rail.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 1
I understand the desire to make photography fun - to have light weight gear and to avoid using a tripod. But there are compromises when you don't have a tripod or gimbal. There can also be situations that have benefits.

Precise composition - Many times the frame edges are important - both in terms of what you see and what is excluded. Precise positioning of specular highlights or other background elements within the frame makes stronger images. While it's possible to establish that framing handheld, what percentage of your images are discarded because of an intrusion or clipping at frame edge?

Staying on a subject longer - one of the best ways to get good images is to stay on the subject longer - not just seconds but minutes at a time. A tripod makes it much easier to stay on a subject for 5 minutes or longer while you wait for precise movement or action. Have you ever moved off a subject or lowered your lens - just before the perfect action?

Sharpness at lower shutter speeds - We all know how important it is to keep shutter speeds up for action. But there are times when you don't have enough light on the subject and have to slow your shutter speed to avoid excess noise. Stabilization is useful, but there are limits as to when it is valuable. While the keeper rate drops, some images involve very slow shutter speeds and using a tripod over relying on stabilization improves image quality.

Manual focus / magnified viewing - Bird photographers often run into a small subject that benefits from manual focus adjustment or magnified viewing. We can view a subject at 100% or more through the viewfinder - a way to improve manual focus, for identification, or looking for precise timing. When you are using a long lens, it's much harder to achieve precision with fine focus or magnified viewing. A tripod solves that problem.

Focus shift / Pixel shift / Auto Capture / HDR - All of these new features work best when you have a tripod because all of these features require multiple images with exactly the same composition. None of these techniques can be used without a tripod. Auto capture is a bit different in that it is usually set up to operate unattended, but a tripod or something similar to hold the camera in place is usually required.

Balancing action and movement with very slow shutter speeds - Last year I tried to make a photo of the master of foxhounds waving his cap at guests while standing in front of a waterfall. I wanted to slow the shutter speed to blur the water, but time the image so that his cap appeared sharp as his arm changed direction. I was using a 70-200 lens at 200mm with IBIS so I dropped the shutter speed to 1/10 second for the right blur of the waterfall - about 4.5 stops below 1/focal length. I took more than 30 photos trying to get a sharp image at a very slow shutter speed and not a single image was tack sharp due to various sources of movement and operating at the limits. I was running out of time. Ultimately I needed to raise my shutter speed to 1/20 slightly to get a sharp image because I did not have a tripod. I had to compromise creative intent because I lacked a tripod. This image would have been a lot easier with a tripod so I could frame the image and concentrate on timing with a high frame rate and short bursts.

If you are going through an entire year without using a tripod, are you missing something? I am certainly doing a lot more photography without a tripod. But I pay close attention to when a tripod is preferred, and try to use a tripod for those situation. I'm not using a tripod for midday travel photography, street photography, portrait photos or family photos because these photos normally don't require ultimate quality or precision . I don't use a tripod for equestrian, dog agility and pet photography as all of these require mobility. I don't normally use a tripod when hiking to photograph wildlife as the distances are longer and the photos are primarily for identification, social media or eBird use.

My view is that when I want to get the best images, I should be using a tripod most of the time.
Very well said, but I think you’re missing the point of the thread. I’m not saying to not use tripods I’m just saying I don’t think these behemoth tripods were used in the past are really necessary anymore or at least that’s my opinion. I definitely continue to use tripods I just don’t drag the 10 Pound RRS tripod out anywhere near as much as I used to because there’s no need to. For wildlife photography I would imagine I only use a tripod 10 to 15% of the time it seems to get less as time goes on, but there are still times that it’s absolutely necessary.

Eric, that is a good summary. If I'd boil it down, there are two main reasons to use a tripod: shutter speeds to low to handhold for whatever reason and stability of the camera and lense. The latter for things like pin-point focus, the various shifting and stacking techniques or just having a composition set up and waiting for aomething to happen (lightning, light, an animal to arrive....).

One thing I just never understand is the need for a tripod for general landscapes (for exceptions, see above). If something is messing with my frame edges, one can either clone it out (not my preferred solution) or crop just a little bit. If composed and shot properly, one only has to crop, what, 2% of a an edge? If this at the edges take up more space than that, the composition was not that great to begin with. Which is the majority of everyone's shots anyway.

Eric, that is a good summary. If I'd boil it down, there are two main reasons to use a tripod: shutter speeds to low to handhold for whatever reason and stability of the camera and lense. The latter for things like pin-point focus, the various shifting and stacking techniques or just having a composition set up and waiting for aomething to happen (lightning, light, an animal to arrive....).

One thing I just never understand is the need for a tripod for general landscapes (for exceptions, see above). If something is messing with my frame edges, one can either clone it out (not my preferred solution) or crop just a little bit. If composed and shot properly, one only has to crop, what, 2% of a an edge? If this at the edges take up more space than that, the composition was not that great to begin with. Which is the majority of everyone's shots anyway.
Well said

Very much in agreement.

To add, shooting with lenses 35mm and below, leveling and tilting is very important and difficult to accomplish (for me anyway) without a tripod, ideally with a leveling base.

Back