Are large tripods even necessary anymore?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

With the move to mirrorless we've had substantial weight and size reduction in our gear. Having said that, in the past I used my larger tripod far more often than I do now due to a heavier kit. I have four tripods now and for the last 3-4 years, I hardly ever take my TC34L RRS tripod out. I also have a series 2 Gitzo with center column which is a must for macro photography. I have a couple mini tripods I use occasionally but use the Gitzo far more than all of them. The small series 2 handles my 600f/4 and gimbal with ease, even carrying it attached. Most of the time when using larger lenses I remove the center column for added stability. Just wondering if others are finding they're using their large tripods less after transitioning to mirrorless?
In many cases tripods i feel are needed a little less often today.

That said, regardless of camera and lens i use a lightweight mono pod or lightweight tripod when ever i shoot, circumstances permitting, i find it always helps or adds that stop or two.
As to heavy Gitzo's etc i have 2 used ones i bought cheap used around $300 and $400 AUD, plus a Carbon Fiber Benro heavy duty tripod, 50% off sale costing me $400 AUD.

If i am on a set or covering a event in a fixed position all day defiantly i use a solid old tripod with a Gitzo head or Wemberly Gimbel.

Back