Are You Shooting Mirrorless Yet?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What Is Your Mirrorless Status?

• Total voters
Currently I am shooting DSLR only and I think it will stay this way for quite some time.

@Ian asked the question "Are we too gear centric ?" and for me taking on the mirrorless topic would certainly mean to put focus on gear even more, because so many things are changing.

I have started my SLR journey with things like a Ricoh TLS 401 and Rollei SL35 ages ago and looking at these mirrorless cameras makes me feel a bit like an alien. Although being involved in things like digitalization, Industry 4.0 , smart factory a.s.o. from professional perspective, I start to feel like an alien these days and one of the areas where that happens is photography. Recently I had to bring my motorbike to the workshop and had to got a replacement for being able to get home. After turning the key this thing "booted" and instead of just letting me start and drive off the yard it asked me to connect my smartphone. Sorry, but this isn't my world anymore... And for me mirrorless cameras feel a bit like that ...

Beside the emotional and psychological side of it I find the things I read and hear about using existing gear - esepeially lenses - with mirrorless cameras not really encouraging. I must admit I haven't followed the topic intensively and most of what I read was around Nikon Z, but I think this time is not just changing a camera technology, it is changing to a different era and I compare it directly with going from film to memory cards. Lenses that have defined the reference for decades have now to be squeezed in a new world by things like an FTZ adapter and become somewhat crippled by the limitations of a new technology - that for sure will disappear in the future but still exist at the moment. The lenses we have skimped on for months sometimes years become something like a "strange smelling compromise", because they just were not made for this world.

Seeing the amazing IQ you get with these new cameras - and lenses - I would probably switch immediately if I were into landscapes, astro, architecture, basically any topic were the photographer defines the timing and the speed of action. Whereever the subject defines it, I think DSLRs will still be the way to go for the while, and the faster the subject(s) are the clearer the choice will be. The real breakthrough we will see if the mirrorless systems can compete with the AF speed and accuracy of DSLRs for fast action in low light and real super tele lenses will be available that are designed for mirrorless directly.

For this reason I will probably go the opposite direction, stay with the glass I have, drop off a few MPixels by getting a good second hand D4S and if necessary wind my fleece muffler around it to cushion the noise when firing off 11 fps bursts :D.

I hear you. I probably wont get rid of my D500, but for some reason we have not bonded like I did with my D300 and with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 bodies (excepting the latter for AF-C use). I am still working on the kinks, but it has had it challenges as I have limited amounts of time to get out and shoot things BIF. I look at my Olympus images when culling and images look as expected. When I look at many of my D500 images, they do not look sharply focused. As you mentioned, this is a great appeal of a mirrorless body. I have tried various AF tune methods, but I am not convinced I am seeing noticeable improvements. But, I am keeping at it in the hopes of finally getting things to be as they should.

--Ken
Ken,
I wonder if something is up with your lens, as the D500 is probably the best wildlife camera I have ever owned. While I have not had a D5 (or D6), I have owned D3/D4 bodies, as well as the D300/D300s. I suggest you set up some kind of target, put your camera on a tripod, use a cable release, mirror-up, and VR off. Focus w/ AFC using center AF and take a shot. Then do the same thing using live-view AF. Then do it once more using live-view MF at 100% enlargement. If the live view images look soft to your eyes, then its definitely a lens issue.
Note I can't recall if you wildlife lens is a 200-500, but if it is, many shooters suggest that they have quite a bit of sample variation. I had two and one was lousy because of a misaligned element. Because this is a mass produced lens, I am sure that some are closer to the original Nikon specs than are others. Discriminating shooters w/ other lenses at overlapping focal lengths can see these differences, well casual shooters often do not. If I recall, Steve Perry had to go through 2 or 3 lenses before he found one that he liked.

regards,
bruce

I started "mirrorless" with the Nikon1 J3 for my underwater photography and love it. My above water work is with a D600(590nm IR), a D750 and a Z6. Each has its place and I love them all. Though I dabble poorly, I am not a BIF guy for a variety of physical reasons. The DSLR will remain for a long time because of a couple of old lenses like the Nikkor 70-180mm D Micro and a couple of other D lenses I like. The D750 also balances a little better with the 200-500mm lens. However, the value of image review on my Z6 EVF without having to grab for my classes to look at a shot cannot be underestimated. I do love the Z6 for walking around and the new lenses - like the f/1.8 85mm and the 24-70S f/4. I will also buy the 70-200Z f/2.8 for a lot of reasons. I see advantages in each and will keep shooting al for the foreseeable future.l

However, the value of image review on my Z6 EVF without having to grab for my classes to look at a shot cannot be underestimated

Agree :),
At the moment the dioptre correction of the OVF on my DSLRs still have got enough range to step in for my reading glasses and the font size in the menu is still big enough :D.

Hi,

As a Canon user (Whaaat a Canon user here :eek:) , I'm more than happy with my current bodies 5D Mark IV and my 5Ds R.
I've to admit that the new Canon R5 looks fantastic. AF points everywhere in the viewfinder, shutter speed, Eye AF detection on animals, image quality, rear screen rotation... Makes it a dream body for sure. Like most of the other Mirror Less bodies (Nikon, Sony).
But, for the moment, I'll keep my current DSLR setup mostly because of the budget impact, I'll certainly update in a near future to a mirror less system.

Laurent ;)

I'm still a DSLR user, but waiting for the next generation APC format Z Camera (Z60?) to switch over.
- D7200 for landscapes / Macro
- D7500 for wildlife,

Mirrorless is the future (that train already left the station), which means companies will mostly invest in new S glas (rather than F), as well as Z Cameras (rather than D). It is simply a question of time.

The advantages of Mirrorless that I find important are : quite shutter, better IQ, Eye AF, larger number of Focus points (coverage), higher frames per sec, and WYSIWYG (what you see in the EVF is what you get.

The disadvantages of Mirrorless: battery life, dust on sensor, the bulky FTZ converter

I will keep the DSLRs though, for sentimental value and as a starting camera for my kids (my daughter is only 5 years old and can already handle the D7200 on a tripod).

D850 and Z7. The Z7 replaced a D500 as I wanted a lighter, more compact system. Maybe, at the right price, I might be tempted to buy a D500 again (it is a stunning wildlife camera after all) but only the future will tell. Chances are a Z7s/Z8/Z9 replaces the D850 because I do love the smaller form factor, ideal for travel. not investing in FX glass anymore, Z only.

A question in this thread about the advantages of mirrorless got me thinking - so I made a top ten list I thought might be useful:

Ken,
I wonder if something is up with your lens, as the D500 is probably the best wildlife camera I have ever owned. While I have not had a D5 (or D6), I have owned D3/D4 bodies, as well as the D300/D300s. I suggest you set up some kind of target, put your camera on a tripod, use a cable release, mirror-up, and VR off. Focus w/ AFC using center AF and take a shot. Then do the same thing using live-view AF. Then do it once more using live-view MF at 100% enlargement. If the live view images look soft to your eyes, then its definitely a lens issue.
Note I can't recall if you wildlife lens is a 200-500, but if it is, many shooters suggest that they have quite a bit of sample variation. I had two and one was lousy because of a misaligned element. Because this is a mass produced lens, I am sure that some are closer to the original Nikon specs than are others. Discriminating shooters w/ other lenses at overlapping focal lengths can see these differences, well casual shooters often do not. If I recall, Steve Perry had to go through 2 or 3 lenses before he found one that he liked.

regards,
bruce
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the additional tips. I did recently do the above steps with one of the zooms and did not get conclusive results, and it is a lens that seemed fine on the D750. I have had mixed results with other long lenses, and actually had the 200-500 adjusted by Nikon for lens problems, and it performs much better now. I am also not ruling out user error as my desire to shoot BIF has been somewhat limited over the years, so while I shoot a lot, BIF excursions are not as often as I would like, and practice does make perfect. As I have the D750 as well, this should allow me to help sort out body/camera/lens issues a bit easier, but I often wish I had a second D500 or another D500 shooter available just for a quick check. I am hoping to get a better handle on things this fall in expectation of photographing the many birds that migrate through our area in the winter.

--Ken

A question in this thread about the advantages of mirrorless got me thinking - so I made a top ten list I thought might be useful:

Thats actually a really helpful list, Steve. At this point do you think that firmware updates will continue to make the z6-z7 more attractive or are there limitations built into the Nikon technology that will mandate a whole new body? Wondering if trading for a z6 (for instance) is a good move or waiting to step into mirrorless is a better idea.

Thats actually a really helpful list, Steve. At this point do you think that firmware updates will continue to make the z6-z7 more attractive or are there limitations built into the Nikon technology that will mandate a whole new body? Wondering if trading for a z6 (for instance) is a good move or waiting to step into mirrorless is a better idea.
Thanks!

I think the problem with the current crop of Nikon mirrorless is lack of horsepower - they just don't have enough processing speed to run everything. So, although we might see some minor improvements with firmware, I think it'll take better hardware to get Nikon up the Sony and Canon level. I just hope they do it in the "S" version of the Z6/7. I think there are a LOT of Nikon shooters who don't want to switch to Sony or Canon, but if Nikon can't at least catch up, it's not gonna be pretty...

Thanks, Steve!

Cheers mate, as always to the point Steve.
I am still at a stage where I would like to acquire a D850 as I am still in love with my D500 and D750 with 500PF as well as just being out shooting

I have totally switched from my D7500 to the Z6 initially to have much lighter gear for travelling but love it for so many other reasons now (articulated perfectly by Steve's post on what he likes about mirrorless). The weight of the camera & lens combo is important to me (arthritic thumb/finger joints!). Now I hope Nikon can come up with some lightweight long telephoto lenses for the Z6. So far many of the new z-series lenses are mostly too heavy which sort of defeats the purpose of selling the z-series cameras based partly on their lighter weight! Of course this is only an issue for a small subset of purchasers like me with smaller hands and arthritis so my wishes will undoubtedly come to naught! Oh well, one can dream....

I voted "Both MILC and DSLR" as the closest to my situation, rather predicament as I used the Z7 + D850 in tandem until trading in the Z for a D780. Nikon has confirmed they designed this as a Hybrid, but it is lacking the EVF - a big deficit. I posted more feedback on the D780 and "2 years of Z " in the newer "Top 10..." thread. To reiterate my latest post I'm not only wait for the fabled Z6/7s/Z8 but also on the 100-400 S Z-Nikkor. I suspect it will be a big switch tripper for other wildlifers with the Nikon F system.

Personally, I find it crazy to trade in systems to switch. The D500 and D850 are still the best wildlife cameras made (together with the D5 and now the D6). The obvious reasons not to jump ship are the huge costs and losses. But hell please Leap! We who buy Used - almost new - gear do so love switchers!
But, as importantly, FX MILCs are in rapid improvement cycles (DSLRs are on the R&D asymptote). This means today's top Mirrorless will be on lapped in a year or two.... A key reason why Nikon got so much right in these 1st gen cameras, is the Z team could leapfrog the Z6 and Z7 over several years of iterations (ie rival brands as well as their N1 system). The Z mount is also Universal, probably because Nikon committed almost last to FX MILC. Patience will pay off.... Nikon has the most to lose if they delay for another year.

Lastly, the grapevine has it that the next Z Gen cameras will pack a twinned pair of the EXPEED6 ;);)

Thanks!

I think the problem with the current crop of Nikon mirrorless is lack of horsepower - they just don't have enough processing speed to run everything. So, although we might see some minor improvements with firmware, I think it'll take better hardware to get Nikon up the Sony and Canon level. I just hope they do it in the "S" version of the Z6/7. I think there are a LOT of Nikon shooters who don't want to switch to Sony or Canon, but if Nikon can't at least catch up, it's not gonna be pretty...

Last edited:
I wanted to jump back into this thread and thank everyone who has voted and provided their experiences. It's been very interesting!

It's also interesting that it's about a 60 / 40 split between people who use mirrorless to one extent or another vs DSLRs. Clearly, the DSLR isn't dead just yet as many would have us believe.

I wanted to jump back into this thread and thank everyone who has voted and provided their experiences. It's been very interesting!

It's also interesting that it's about a 60 / 40 split between people who use mirrorless to one extent or another vs DSLRs. Clearly, the DSLR isn't dead just yet as many would have us believe.
Thanks for starting this Steve. Very insightful indeed 👍

Thanks!

THIS x 1000 Steve. I've been considering Sony (and now Canon) but have decided to hold off buying into either of those systems until Nikon releases the new Z 's' bodies. I know they're not going to compete with the A9II or R5, but if Nikon can even close the performance gap with the A7R4 -- which should allow me to sell the D850 and go "all mirrorless" -- that's enough for me to stop looking at alternatives for a while.

Back