AUTO ISO: Issue to set lowest ISO setting (Z8)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Coal faced is not a term us Yankees are familiar with? I'm not anyway.

500pf with 1.4TC is all I can do. So if the tech can help me, it would be realy helpfull. But as I said, the noise is worse on my z8 at ISO 400 so why take pictures at that value?
Because with the latest AI-driven noise reduction software such as ACR or Topaz DeNoise AI the noise you see in the image can be made to disappear to a very large extent.

There was talk earlier in this topic about using medium format and 4x5 cameras to shoot birds in flight. The response was that there are no 600mm or longer lens equivalents in those formats.

I am trying to imagine the size of the lens that can do equivalent 600mm focal length on a 4x5 camera with an equivalent max aperture to the big Nikon primes.

I would think the front element on that lens would be larger than a barn door.

Imagine chasing birds with something like that.

There was talk earlier in this topic about using medium format and 4x5 cameras to shoot birds in flight. The response was that there are no 600mm or longer lens equivalents in those formats.

I am trying to imagine the size of the lens that can do equivalent 600mm focal length on a 4x5 camera with an equivalent max aperture to the big Nikon primes.

I would think the front element on that lens would be larger than a barn door.

Imagine chasing birds with something like that.

Amonsul_Photographer_with_a_giant_Sony_A1_camera_with_a_massive_da442a84-e474-40a9-9cfc-c47e90...jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Coal face - the term means, In the filed of hands on action, at the front line, on the ground in action, hope that helps happy new year.

Thanks, so we might say First-hand or hands-on?

It sounds like I am trying to do the same as you - pushing my Z8 and lens just a bit too far to catch very distant birds in flight.
I think we are seeing that Nikon desperately needs tha Z90 that it is refusing to produce - to give us 40mpixels at DX size. If Fujitsu can do it what is wrong with Nikon?
I waited ages for a Z90, but gave up and went for a Z8, which I find I am mostly using it in DX mode or I would be massivley cropping FX pictures most of the time.
The Z8 does not quite do the job for me, but I think it is better than the alternatives for now. but those extra DX pixels would make all the difference for me.
I would probably swap the Z8 instantly if they produced a good Z90.

It sounds like I am trying to do the same as you - pushing my Z8 and lens just a bit too far to catch very distant birds in flight.
I think we are seeing that Nikon desperately needs tha Z90 that it is refusing to produce - to give us 40mpixels at DX size. If Fujitsu can do it what is wrong with Nikon?
I waited ages for a Z90, but gave up and went for a Z8, which I find I am mostly using it in DX mode or I would be massivley cropping FX pictures most of the time.
The Z8 does not quite do the job for me, but I think it is better than the alternatives for now. but those extra DX pixels would make all the difference for me.
I am not sure if 40MP DX would produce clean enough images. maybe more details but probably with lots of noise... It is always a trade off...

sounds like you need a longer lens and better fieldcraft.

Sounds to me like some people are trying to shoot subjects too far away. I have the z8 with the 400f4.5 and both TCs. With the 1.4tc at 560mm I can get excellent results of BIF and if they are really small in the viewfinder I don’t shoot those subjects. When in Bosque last winter I found myself using the 2xtc on many subjects as otherwise they were just too far off. In spite of this combo being not so great I was surprised at how well it worked on many occasions with patience and decent lighting. I don’t care how good your gear is but if the atmosphere is heating up and things are far off your photos will suck. As I handhold I am saving up for the 600pf for better long shots and better 800mm plus performance. I mostly avoid DX mode but do use it in my feeder setup at home on small warblers but even there in fx I have a better chance at them flying. The big glass will always win out especially at longer distances but you can do well without. I would think 40mp in DX size sensor would have less dynamic range but as technology gets better who knows Now we have global shutters and what that will bring to the playing field in the next few years. My d850 that was so great just a few years ago now seems like a dinosaur and I rar use it. The z8 is so vastly superior In terms of performance with almost as good IQ.

Not me. Full frame all the way. Maybe a 60mp full frame might tempt me.

100% - there's never a free lunch in my experience.
Yes - it is a trade off. I want a camera and lens I can walk around with, otherwise I would have a much bigger lens. I find I am getting pretty good pictues from very distant raptors and the like, which I have to crop a lot even with DX mode. I would trade a bigger image for some more noise as I think it would also help me with metering these very small images against varying backgounds.
I know I am stretching the limits of a camera with a 400mil zoom and teleconverter but most of the pics are very good, especially in the rare instances when subjects get closer.
As it is I seem to be taking pictures of these distant birds that others around me are ignoring due to the small size and the fact that I am more willing to shoot at anything that moves.
I am happy with the Z8 for now, but I just saw an image produced by an old APS-C DSLR, which was a lot noisier, but produced a slightly more interesting bigger image, which just made me think again about a Z90.

Back