Back Button AF With Mirrorless: Yes Or No?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here's how mine is set up and I honestly think it makes the most sense...
Shutter af set to a custom wide area OR 3D depending on how I feel
Af-on set to auto area AF as a "panic button" for surprises
Fn1 and Fn3 set to single point Af.
This setup allows for the same control in both portrait and landscape orientation
It allows my thumb free to move either the custom wide box or the single point af box
record button is slaved to recall shooting function that ONLY deactivates subject detection
Obviously everyone thinks their setup is best for them..... but youll find quite a few of them who also complain about "limitations" with the Z 9 customizations lol

I've always used BBF on every DSLR I've owned, and now use it on my Z9. Really dislike having it on the shutter for some reason. I have the back button just pure AF-On, no particular mode. I've got large hands and can easy reach the front function buttons, and have Fn1 as AF-On/3D tracking, and Fn2 in conjunction with the scroll wheel to cycle through the AF areas. This system has been working great for me for BIF work, and just general shooting. The only issue is if I'm shooting vertical I don't have a 3D button, but its very rare i'm shooting anything I'd need 3D for in vertical mode

Back