Back button focus - Is it still relevant with AF subject detection and tracking

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

With DSLR’s, back button focus was the only option. This is because you would lock in the focus on the subject then re-compose the frame. However, I have started to wonder if this is still relevant with the new Z series and mirrorless cameras.

For most things, I now shoot AF subject detection. When using the subject detection, the focus tracks with the subject where ever it is in the frame. The focus stays on the subject and I can recompose all day long, never needing the back button focus.

For focus locking I can see where this may still be relevant ie. waiting for a subject to appear in a blank area, but this is rare for me in sports photography and some wildlife.

What benefit is it to still use back button focus or is it no longer relevant with AF subject detection and tracking.

Sometimes eye tracking and various detect modes get confused. I have had numerous times when the camera locked on the eye of a critter and then started bouncing around focusing on dark spots on leaves, knots on trees, flowers, etc. more or less anything it thought was an eye or a critter. Back Button Autofocus seems more useful on mirrorless (Sony and Canon I have) than it did on DSLR.

I tried BBAF on my D500 and absolutely hated it. I used it for about a year and went back to half press of shutter. With mirrorless, I find the half press of shutter can be frustrating at times, especially with macro and critters out in fields or against trees (birds, lizards, etc). BBAF, I an focus on the spot when it locks on, I can then press the shutter with the camera still focused on the initial spot instead of floating around looking for something else when the scene is busy.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

FWIW I still use BBAF with the Z8 and Z9.

Even with DSLRs I rarely used it for focus-recompose reasons. To me it’s always been a way to achieve on-demand AF. IOW, I want AF WHEN I want it and not otherwise. I shoot a lot of subjects static, live, not live including: landscapes, astro, architecture, some product work, etc. where I don’t necessarily want advanced AF tracking and may or may not want AF at all. Sure I could simply switch the lens or camera body to MF when desired but with BBAF the system defaults to MF with AF on demand anytime I need it.

Sure for live action subjects a lot of folks prefer to activate AF via the shutter release which works fine in most situations but personally I prefer to activate AF when I want it and only when I want it.

YMMV…

I still shoot a DSLR for infrared work and use my D850 with the 500PF and the 70-180D Micro on a regular basis. So, even with my Z6 and Z9, I still use BB focus for the consistency. I have not found it to be an issue and am not interested in changing my approach at this time. This is for me, in my circumstances and considering how I shoot. YMMV.

I agree with DR…. I want the AF to engage when I want it to. For today I was shooting a pair of bald eagles with weeping leaves and branches between myself and the birds. The camera was in Automatic and kept getting confused. I pressed Fn2 for single point and established a good focus and released BBAF. I was able to get the images I wanted. The adult eagle then sprang from its perch. I released Fn2 and initiated BBAF in automatic and nailed some flight shots.

I recognize there are other ways that this could be done, but BBAF is second nature to me. I tried going back to the shutter release button when I got the Z9. I tried for a month and went back to BBAF. It just works for me.

I use the back buttons to modify AF modes or other features. But I have no use for using the back buttons to initiate AF.
I was a diehard BBF user for DSLRs....there with the limited AF coverage and no tracking type modes the BBF made a lot of sense.
Once I moved to high end MILCs (first the A9) I stopped using BBF. I like to have to only deal with the shutter when shooting challenging BIF like swallows...anything I need to react to fast I'd rather just hammer the shutter and have AF going. I also have an extra back button to use as a custom key to modify things like a recall mode or alternative af mode or switching to tracking etc.

I really think the only argument FOR BBF in MILCs is if you are shooting through complicated surroundings and want to dial in MF and don't want AF to engage again when you take the photo.

while i was a hardcore bbaf person when using dslrs, i more think my bbaf has evolved rather than me abandoning it

basically i leverage those same mental muscles and muscle memory to leverage additional af modes

Decoupling the focus from shutter allows you to configure different AF modes to various buttons, then the shutter just executes the shot. Without it, you have one and only one mode. I use three different buttons for “triple back button AF” with 1) single point AF for precise placement, 2) tracking “locally” underneath my focus point, and 3) tracking “globally” across the whole screen for those moments where I can’t act quickly enough to place focus. Three options for three different focus scenarios in one push of a button, then you hit the shutter to capture. If you’re using the shutter button, you are forced to go through the mapped focus mode to release the shutter.

Some may feel like global tracking is enough for their needs but I prefer to have placement options to override or handle each scenario, personally. Much more control.

Decoupling the focus from shutter allows you to configure different AF modes to various buttons, then the shutter just executes the shot. Without it, you have one and only one mode. I use three different buttons for “triple back button AF” with 1) single point AF for precise placement, 2) tracking “locally” underneath my focus point, and 3) tracking “globally” across the whole screen for those moments where I can’t act quickly enough to place focus. Three options for three different focus scenarios in one push of a button, then you hit the shutter to capture. If you’re using the shutter button, you are forced to go through the mapped focus mode to release the shutter.
Pithy explanation, thanks
Some may feel like global tracking is enough for their needs but I prefer to have placement options to override or handle each scenario, personally. Much more control.
I also see BBAF in this way; actually, since 2016, I've had my D500 (then D850, D5 , D6) setup similarly (for Single Point, Group, AutoAF usually) when Nikon released the powerful AFmode+AFOn custom setting.

Today's Pro Nikon mirrorless cameras have improved the scope and options for Customization, with more AF modes, Subject Recognition etc and their expanded menus. One consequence is I stopped using Single Point mode entirely over 2 years ago with the Z9, when Custom Area AF allowed setting a 1*1 dot with Subject Recognition.
[Edited]

Last edited:

If I'm understanding you correctly, then this is incorrect:
If you’re using the shutter button, you are forced to go through the mapped focus mode to release the shutter.
You do not need to decouple the shutter in order to have back buttons modifying your AF mode. I use shutter AF and my back buttons on Canon, Nikon and Sony when held in will override your basic setting coupled to the shutter. So I actually gain a potential additional alternative AF mode because all my back buttons (or front buttons on some cameras) can be alternative modes with my shutter being a different mode.

For instance on my current Sony bodies I keep 4 different AF modes selectable by toggle and deactivate the other ones. Those 4 are quickly cycled through and go to my shutter button. Then I have one of my three back buttons set to turn my main AF mode into the Tracking version of that mode. A 2nd back button switches directly into my 2nd most used mode (Zone AF on Sony) when I don't want to toggle my main mode (most of the time left in Wide AF on Sony) and my 3rd back button recalls a setting bank with a small AF mode, low SS and Auto-ISO (the only time I use Auto-ISO). That 3rd button used for more static subjects as I keep my main exposure settings geared for action.

Alternatively I could have the 3 back buttons all just recall a different AF mode and not change my shutter's AF mode.

On Nikon, I kept my shutter on Auto-AF and used the AF-ON button to recall Wide-Area and the DISP button to recall a single point.

I actually use the shutter button focus AND BBAF simultaneously..my shutter is set to Auto area AF, which is what i use about 90% of the time post FW 4.0 on the Z9. I have also mapped multiple other buttons for other AF area modes (AF ON+AF AREA MODE) - AF-ON button for Wide L, Joystick for 3D, Fn1 for single point, Lens fn for Wide S. The reasoning - I would much prefer focusing on composition and action and hence just mapped my Auto AF to shutter so that i can focus on every other aspect other than AF. In case i find the camera struggling, depending on the situation i use one of my mapped buttons, 3D for a precise start and then track, Wide L/S to help the camera with challenging subjects for initial aquisition, single point when there is extreme clutter and so on..This way, once i feel I have directed the camera to focus on what i want it to, i can simply release the button any time and the auto AF mapped to shutter will just take over the AF from where the previous AF mode left..i find this working seamlessly for my use cases. WIDE-S is mapped to lens fn so that i can just use my left hand to hold on to the focus mode and use my thumb to move the WIDE-S box to where i want..particularly helpful for mammals on the move, when i will have to compose the way i want.

For sports, I still use a single point for my BBF to quickly lock on and isolate, however once the player comes closer and is more isolated, I use a larger C2 (on Z9) with subject detection on which helps to get the eye sharp. But, as soon as the player turns his head and the eye is hidden, the AF will jump to an oncoming player who is facing the camera with full eyes which is not ideal. I have AF Tracking set to 1 - perhaps a slower setting will be enough for player to turn his head again so the eye is visible for the subject detection to find it again.

I still use BBAF, which I most likely became used to with DSLRs. After reading this thread, it's nice to know some of the possible options mirrorless affords us. Thanks for the insights.

I generally use shutter button focus, both in the past with my DSLRs and now with mirrorless bodies (currently a Z9 and Z8).

On a recent trip to Botswana, I found myself occasionally wanting to adjust focus manually when a subject was partially obscured by grass or branches. When I did that and then pressed the shutter button to take a photo, the camera overrode my adjustments in most cases (I was in AF-C). BBAF would have been helpful here, avoiding this problem.

I did not want to switch my basic focusing approach in the middle of the trip (I have tried BBAF in the past and worried about forgetting to focus before taking a photo).

I generally use shutter button focus, both in the past with my DSLRs and now with mirrorless bodies (currently a Z9 and Z8).

On a recent trip to Botswana, I found myself occasionally wanting to adjust focus manually when a subject was partially obscured by grass or branches. When I did that and then pressed the shutter button to take a photo, the camera overrode my adjustments in most cases (I was in AF-C). BBAF would have been helpful here, avoiding this problem.

I did not want to switch my basic focusing approach in the middle of the trip (I have tried BBAF in the past and worried about forgetting to focus before taking a photo).

I believe in that case you would continue to hold the shutter half press while manually focusing, then fully depress to shoot?

BBAF? Not on the Om Systems OM-1. Reason? BBAF does not start ProCapture. For that you need to half-press. That means that I am used to half pressing to focus and BBAF would be an additional process for my old poor brain.

Tom

That's one of the reasons Steve highlighted in his video for BBAF being useful. He also mentioned landscape shots, where he often focuses on one area, then recomposes. I need to think through the options with mirrorless, but I'm pretty used to BBAF by now.

Back