Back up software recommendation for MacOS (Ventura)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As some above: TimeMachine and CarbonCopy. I use both because I have encountered - seldom, but still - files, which are saved by TimeMachine but could not bee restored. So TimeMachine makes the ongoing saving and CarbonCopy saves selected files once a day.

I use a multi level system.
1. Chronosync for local folder synchronization to a Direct Attached Storage 5 drive RAID 5 array. On my media machine
2. put in place a QNAP RAID to use part of for Time Machine backup for all my desktops an Mac laptops in the house
3. use the same NAS to clone the Chronosync folders
4. off site backblaze backup of main media machine
5. icload/Dropbox for machine to machine to mobile phone, laptop, and ipad sharing

In addition to Time Machine and external drives I am burning M Disks in the background for permanent off site storage. A few cents more per GB initially I figure I'll catch up over time, no drives to fail and replace. The estimated 100 year life is more than I will need. I have a 1TB M1 running Ventura and the standard burn process includes verification the entire disk was burned properly.

I just recently started using CCC. Initially I bought it to keep several portable SSD drive in sync. But I have since started using it, along with Timemachine and iCloud, as part of my backup scheme. It has been very easy to setup and use. I have a little 2TB SSD that is my go-between drive for 2 machines. I setup CCC to create a clone backup of the target drive anytime I plug it in. Works great!

Bob

Does anyone have a recommendation for some back up software for MacOS to complement rather than an alternative to Time Machine. I've just replaced my 2013 iMac with an M1 version and am in the processing of getting everything loaded and transferred over and was looking at an alternative to the Lacie supplied Intego software I was using. Many thanks.
I use iDrive. Works on multiple computers.

I really like SyncBackSE. When backing up copies files exactly as on my working folder, no proprietary file format, so easy to go into back up and find a single file I might need. Also buy it and own it, no need to send them $$ every year to use the software.

I run 3 different backup strategies.

1. Time Machine for everything but my photo disks
2. Backblaze for everything (offsite, in the clouid)
3. Carbon Copy Cloner for my images. I have replicate the disk system for my raid system (2 copies, 1 master) and keep one in the house and 1 in the back vault. Rotate the bank vault copy w/ the copy in the house.

I'm fortunate in having my daughter live nearby and I visit her and my grandchildren often. So my strategy easily includes an off site backup.
I have a powered external 8TB drive attached to my Mac Studio for use as Time Machine.
I have three 4TB SanDisk SSD drives which I use with Carbon Copy Cloner to make backups on a fairly recent basis, rotating them and always keeping one of the drives at my daughter's house. On these drives, the initial backup took less than an hour and now incremental backups take a matter of minutes.
I have been tempted to try using Backblaze for backup in the cloud, but even though the data is encrypted, the paranoid part of me doesn't want to put all my stuff out there in the clouds.

I've used CCC for almost as long as it has been around, and it is an outstanding program. Inexpensive, updated regularly (usually at no cost), and very well supported with extensive documentation. CCC has a bit of a learning curve, but that is inevitable given the number of ways it can be configured to individual needs. I back up photo and work files to no fewer than four external hard drives. While my computer's working drive is a four-disk RAID 5, I do not use a RAID system for backup. RAIDs can completely fail, which I have unfortunately experienced. A hardware problem once wiped out a year's worth of files on a RAID external I was using. It took out all the disks comprising my RAID. RAIDs are great systems, and provide security in almost all cases, but they are not 100% infallible.

So, I back up important files directly to individual external drives, known as JBOD (just a bunch of disks). No RAID. Yes, it means that I must run CCC for each disk, a bit tedious, but I really don't care since CCC runs in the background.

I have a SSD internal in my iMac as a startup drive, containing only system files and applications. All my work files are on the aforementioned external four-disk, 12 TB RAID. CCC allows me to configure two individual backup "drives" on a single external disk in a partition-like allocation. So, I back up my startup SSD to one "drive," cleverly named "Backup SSD," and I back up all work and photo files to another "drive" on the same external, having the name "Master." This allows me to keep startup and work files separately on a single large external HD, avoiding a proliferation of disks. CCC also allows me to configure different backup protocols for each. Make sure, however, you completely understand how CCC works before attempting this kind of setup. When the external disks get full, I pull them out of the enclosure, label them by year, store them away, and simply install new drives which are relatively inexpensive. OWC offers several drive enclosures allowing you to do this.

Should I need to access a file from years ago, I have an inexpensive little device that reads a "naked" disk. No need to reinstall the drive in the original enclosure.

This system gives me as close to 100% security as is possible, short of Armageddon. In the case of Armageddon, I will have bigger concerns than my backups.

I also run Time Machine to a single external 8TB drive. TM is a great program, and many people don't realize that it has different configuration options, too. But, it is important to remember that TM is not an "archival" backup. It is primarily designed as a point-in-time backup that allows you to completely restore a Mac to its most current configuration in the event of a total hardware failure. It is also handy for recovering files from an earlier date if you've inadvertently deleted a file or need to look at a previous version. TM will, however, automatically delete and overwrite the oldest files when the drive becomes full. This is why it is not considered "archival."

CCC allows you to configure in a number of different ways how older files are handled, well beyond what TM allows. CCC and TM used in tandem, are an ideal combination.

Hope this helps.

I've used CCC for almost as long as it has been around, and it is an outstanding program. Inexpensive, updated regularly (usually at no cost), and very well supported with extensive documentation. CCC has a bit of a learning curve, but that is inevitable given the number of ways it can be configured to individual needs. I back up photo and work files to no fewer than four external hard drives. While my computer's working drive is a four-disk RAID 5, I do not use a RAID system for backup. RAIDs can completely fail, which I have unfortunately experienced. A hardware problem once wiped out a year's worth of files on a RAID external I was using. It took out all the disks comprising my RAID. RAIDs are great systems, and provide security in almost all cases, but they are not 100% infallible.

So, I back up important files directly to individual external drives, known as JBOD (just a bunch of disks). No RAID. Yes, it means that I must run CCC for each disk, a bit tedious, but I really don't care since CCC runs in the background.

I have a SSD internal in my iMac as a startup drive, containing only system files and applications. All my work files are on the aforementioned external four-disk, 12 TB RAID. CCC allows me to configure two individual backup "drives" on a single external disk in a partition-like allocation. So, I back up my startup SSD to one "drive," cleverly named "Backup SSD," and I back up all work and photo files to another "drive" on the same external, having the name "Master." This allows me to keep startup and work files separately on a single large external HD, avoiding a proliferation of disks. CCC also allows me to configure different backup protocols for each. Make sure, however, you completely understand how CCC works before attempting this kind of setup. When the external disks get full, I pull them out of the enclosure, label them by year, store them away, and simply install new drives which are relatively inexpensive. OWC offers several drive enclosures allowing you to do this.

Should I need to access a file from years ago, I have an inexpensive little device that reads a "naked" disk. No need to reinstall the drive in the original enclosure.

This system gives me as close to 100% security as is possible, short of Armageddon. In the case of Armageddon, I will have bigger concerns than my backups.

I also run Time Machine to a single external 8TB drive. TM is a great program, and many people don't realize that it has different configuration options, too. But, it is important to remember that TM is not an "archival" backup. It is primarily designed as a point-in-time backup that allows you to completely restore a Mac to its most current configuration in the event of a total hardware failure. It is also handy for recovering files from an earlier date if you've inadvertently deleted a file or need to look at a previous version. TM will, however, automatically delete and overwrite the oldest files when the drive becomes full. This is why it is not considered "archival."

CCC allows you to configure in a number of different ways how older files are handled, well beyond what TM allows. CCC and TM used in tandem, are an ideal combination.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. 👍👍

Yet another vote for Carbon Copy Cloner - I have used for years without problems and it is easy to use. BacKup to 2 4T SSD drives. I also use Time Machine to a 4T SSD drive. And in addition, BackBlaze.

SuperDuper! is...well...super! I've used it for years as a complement to Time Machine. I also keep photo files on an external drive and SuperDuper! is excellent for backing up that drive to a second external hard drive. Customer service from SuperDuper! has been excellent too.

You must be psychic as I am in the same situation and would probably have listed the topic in a week or so but I have some more fundamental questions I am trying to sort out.
For my old iMac (2009) and MacBook M1 Pro I use Timemachine for what is stored on the machines hard drive. I have a WD My Cloud Home 4tb drive that works fine with my iMac, iPhone and iPad and until recently my MacBook Pro. This was to be my own cloud backup for my all things photos which would be accessible anywhere where there is internet, and my main storage is a twin 4tb raid drive DAS connected to my MacBook. When Ventura updated a few months ago I could no longer use the My Cloud Home on the MacBook. This has nothing to do with the recent Western Digital problem. My problem in choosing a direction to follow with software is the apparent confusion between what is a “backup” vs an “update” vs a “copy”. Time Machine between full backups I believe adds changes, but the progressive daily, weekly monthly backups stay intact until a final monthly full backup is completed. I don’t think it deletes if you delete something. iCloud Photos deletes and adds as you delete and add, but you can store copies on iCloud via the Files app as a standalone copy. How do programmes or cloud systems define “Backup”? Researching the internet seems to mix up “backup” with “update” but less so “copy”.
I purchased Steve’s Lightroom Library videos which I find very good but while still learning, Lightroom and Steve’s storage of his images confuses me. When you shutdown Lightroom Classic it asks you whether you want to “skip” or “backup” your catalogue. Is it a “backup” or just “updating” the catalogue. If you pick “skip” do you not save the editing changes you just made? Steve stores his catalogue and images under one folder called Photos on a NAS Raid setup (Steve, I hope I got that right), he then uses BackBlaze and other drive storages to create multiple copies. Does BackBlaze “backup”, i.e. add and delete changes, add only? Do you “copy” the raid photos folder each time to the standalone drives (could takes days or many hours) or use “backup” software to add only what is new but leaving what is old. If the Lightroom “backup catalogue” option is a true “backup” if defined as a separate copy, why include it in the Photos folder on the Raid as the changes would already be in the catalogue.
I apologise for the rambling but I am confused.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
BTW with the My Cloud Home problem on my MacBook, Apple don’t want to know as it is a third party issue and WD don’t want to know as it only happened when Apple updated Ventura with the first update. Subsequent updates have not fixed the problem despite the My Cloud Home actually appearing on the Network in Finder. It still works fine on my iMac, iPad and iPhone.

Time machine and a fairly slow but reliable 4TB external for the computer.

For the important stuff my images and LRC catalog I as other us Carbon Copy Cloner and make an exact copy on 4 different SSD drives and one is always offsite in my safety deposit box.

I am a bit anal and do not format my card in camera until I have CCC backups to at least 2 external drives.

That’s not anal 🙂. I do the same and take with me out and about a NewQ and back up to two SSD’s just in case. The NewQ has its own battery. I also use a WD My Passport Wireless Pro, 2tb, again with its own battery. At least I then have copies of what is on the cards. Can also use both for emergency power backup supplies. Both talk to at least iPhones so you can check to see what you have.

For now Ive went with a couple of SSD’s and CCC for local copies of import stuff, photographs, catalogues et etc plus a couple of additional portable mechanical drives. Still going to use TM for system wide incremental backups for now until I work out a more comprehensive solution that works for me.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to respond, the info and suggestions have been a great help.

👍👍👍👍👍👍

I have been using ChronoSync for many years...The reason I chose it over Carbon Copy at the time was that Carbon Copy would not work on NAS units. That may have changed over the years... I have been extremely satisfied with ChronoSync, purchase a license, and its good "forever"...

Like others…CCC and BB for the win. And on the laptop…CCC using Remote Mac as the destination rather than mounted volume instead of Time Machine since TM just doesn’t reliably work to network destinations.

Back at #40 I had some questions that prompted no clarification responses unfortunately. Maybe it is obvious to everyone else so I did some more online searching. Many forums get it confused so it is still unclear to me. I cant imagine anyone using a programme that did a full new copy every time you “backed up”. Previously my comment may have rambled a bit but of the three options stated the most, namely CCC, ChronoSync and BackBlaze, which do incremental updates as opposed to full copies? I think BackBlaze does incremental updates of changes once you do the original transfer of the whole photos file, and ChronoSync might do as well, but not sure and CCC seems to do full clones which of course would be extremely time consuming so wouldn’t make much sense. TimeMachine does incremental increases but is of the drive in the Mac. Thanks. Ps please be kind.

Thanks for your reply. I can try the 15 day free trial option. Their site does say full disc clone so if I have a 1TB file of photos and a 4tb drive I get four “backups”. Therefore you have to delete earlier ones. If you had a 4tb photo file you need a 16tb drive to store four copies. Seems weird to me. Rather than overthink it I should just try the free trial 😳. Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. I can try the 15 day free trial option. Their site does say full disc clone so if I have a 1TB file of photos and a 4tb drive I get four “backups”. Therefore you have to delete earlier ones. If you had a 4tb photo file you need a 16tb drive to store four copies. Seems weird to me. Rather than overthink it I should just try the free trial 😳. Thanks again.
It’s not really 4 clones on the CCC destination…the Safety Net feature only copies changed files on 2nd and subsequent clones but the old versions are kept around on another folder if it is enabled and the Safety Net gets pruned over time like Time Machine as needed (at least I think it does…on my iPad at the moment). I tend to manually prune my Safety Net folders every few months because the majority of the old versions are LR catalog or previews files or things that were in the Archive folder but bot relocated periodically to the RAID on the desktop computer.

Back