Backyard Wildlife photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Also at the beach by my place there are four Honu, or Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle, that I see daily. My mission is to get a better pic once I get a Nikon 200-500mm. This one was with a 300mm PF and 1.4x TC on my D7200. Not quite enough reach, had to crop more than I like. The 200-500 with 1.4x TC should do the trick. Some catch light in the eye would help too.

View attachment 4189
I also have the D7200 and the 200-500. I like the combo but have not added the 1.4 due to some comments about slow focus/hunting. I think @Steve may have commented about the 200-500 + 1.4. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in! If not, I am interested to hear how it works for you.

I also have the D7200 and the 200-500. I like the combo but have not added the 1.4 due to some comments about slow focus/hunting. I think @Steve may have commented about the 200-500 + 1.4. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in! If not, I am interested to hear how it works for you.

Thanks. With the sea turtles I don't worry much about slow focus, they don't move that fast. I usually focus on the bodies in the water using BBF, then wait for the head to pop up. Pushing the shutter quickly when they pop up is the trick since the head is often only up for a second or two. I did borrow my wife's 200-500mm and used it with a 1.4x and it was fine for a red footed booby in a nest with young, but it was broad daylight, and again the booby wasn't moving and it was bright. In low light it might be a different matter.

A couple more of the regulars
DSC_5498.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

850_6797-Edit.jpg

Thanks. With the sea turtles I don't worry much about slow focus, they don't move that fast. I usually focus on the bodies in the water using BBF, then wait for the head to pop up. Pushing the shutter quickly when they pop up is the trick since the head is often only up for a second or two. I did borrow my wife's 200-500mm and used it with a 1.4x and it was fine for a red footed booby in a nest with young, but it was broad daylight, and again the booby wasn't moving and it was bright. In low light it might be a different matter.
Thanks for the feedback!

Looked up to see a couple of Mule Deer out in the yard browsing on willow branches, grabbed my camera and slid open the window to see this little guy staring back at me.

Nikon D500, 500mm PF (almost too much lens :) )
500_4408-Edit.jpg

That lizard is awesome.

Sounds crazy but, this is one Mourning Dove liked to hang out with me last year. He stayed in the sagebrush and anytime I would be outside he would come hang around about 20 or 30 feet from where I was at. It went on for a month or two until I never saw him again. He seemed healthy and could fly alright. I miss that dove.
I tried to run this jpeg through Denoise AI but it gave a weird white ring on the eye so I cancelled it
D500, Tamron 150-600mm
500_5809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That lizard is awesome.

Sounds crazy but, this is one Mourning Dove liked to hang out with me last year. He stayed in the sagebrush and anytime I would be outside he would come hang around about 20 or 30 feet from where I was at. It went on for a month or two until I never saw him again. He seemed healthy and could fly alright. I miss that dove.
I tried to run this jpeg through Denoise AI but it gave a weird white ring on the eye.
D500, Tamron 150-600mm
View attachment 4845
F59041E9-2860-444B-A524-01BE4308E954.jpeg
That white ring is part of its markings. Morning doves visit my yard often. Hope this helps.

Here's one of the Mountain Chickadees that frequents our yard. They're pretty quick and don't perch very long in one place so I was happy he gave me a few portraits while up on one of our Aspens that's just beginning to change color.

Nikon D5, 500mm PF
D51_6581-Edit.jpg

Back