Baffin Island trip -- let the questions begin 1

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
1. As there will be no laptop going with me when I spend 10 days on the ice of a fiord off northern Baffin Island in April (5 months and counting!) I am assuming all back up of files will be done on (in camera) memory cards. Or in other words, I'll shoot with slot 2 as back up and bring lots of cards as downloading to an external drive is not possible without the intermediary step of going to computer first?

Thanks.

My question is about getting the files from the camera (card) directly to such an ssd; believe it not possible? Thanks.
This is possible using a powered hub (like an Anker) with a card reader and an iPhone attached to it (I assume it works with an Android phone but I don’t know for sure). But will you have power? I have not tried it with an external powerbank but would guess that will work. There are several threads on this but I can’t remember which forum.

Here’s one discussion of it:

1. As there will be no laptop going with me when I spend 10 days on the ice of a fiord off northern Baffin Island in April (5 months and counting!) I am assuming all back up of files will be done on (in camera) memory cards. Or in other words, I'll shoot with slot 2 as back up and bring lots of cards as downloading to an external drive is not possible without the intermediary step of going to computer first?

Thanks.
No way to do camera to SSD on Nikon. Can use a phone or a tablet as a (very slow) intermediary. Gnarbox and similar gizmos prior and since don't work.

No way to do camera to SSD on Nikon. Can use a phone or a tablet as a (very slow) intermediary. Gnarbox and similar gizmos prior and since don't work.
Thanks for confirming! I'm such a technical dummy that I never quite trust what I think I'm reading :)

so if you have nikon, it has a "copy" feature, which would allow you to copy cards outside of the backup mode context. this means you could make multiple copies for safety. i don't know which camera, but for cfe-b, there are large cards like the delkin power g4 2tb. afaik, sd tops out at 1tb, although i think some of the little micro cards go to 2tb, but not sure i'd mess with that.

also the new iphone has ssd capability, and i suspect a reasonable transfer rate, so you could probably use it to copy to an actual ssd.

so if you have nikon, it has a "copy" feature, which would allow you to copy cards outside of the backup mode context. this means you could make multiple copies for safety. i don't know which camera, but for cfe-b, there are large cards like the delkin power g4 2tb. afaik, sd tops out at 1tb, although i think some of the little micro cards go to 2tb, but not sure i'd mess with that.

also the new iphone has ssd capability, and i suspect a reasonable transfer rate, so you could probably use it to copy to an actual ssd.
I think the direct-to-ssd is limited to certain vid formats (ProRes?). Not sure about the transfer rate from powered hub/reader to SSD, if it is at all possible.

Will you have any means of charging batteries?
Yes. For Z9 plan to buy power packs and charge those via USB from inverter; and for D6 will have to plug the charger with converter into the inverter. May be VERY small group just me and two folks going with me so the line up for charging may be very manageable. The big challenge is there will only be a heated tent (for meals and 'lounging') for a few hours of the day so unless I put the batteries at the bottom of my sleeping bag at night.... :) This tour takes photographers often so doable just challenging I'm told. I could take a laptop but I'm thinking it won't like being in sub -15C weather for long periods :)

Yes. For Z9 plan to buy power packs and charge those via USB from inverter; and for D6 will have to plug the charger with converter into the inverter. May be VERY small group just me and two folks going with me so the line up for charging may be very manageable. The big challenge is there will only be a heated tent (for meals and 'lounging') for a few hours of the day so unless I put the batteries at the bottom of my sleeping bag at night.... :) This tour takes photographers often so doable just challenging I'm told. I could take a laptop but I'm thinking it won't like being in sub -15C weather for long periods :)
The D6 will use the same battery as the Z9, do you really need 2 chargers?

This is possible using a powered hub (like an Anker) with a card reader and an iPhone attached to it (I assume it works with an Android phone but I don’t know for sure). But will you have power? I have not tried it with an external powerbank but would guess that will work. There are several threads on this but I can’t remember which forum.
Not taking my phone :) And using external powerbanks to charge (in camera) the Z9 batteries; powerbanks charged from the inverter.

If you have an iPad or an iPhone with lots of storage it is very easy to transfer to ssd. I have an M1 iPad pro TO WHICH I copy my photos to and then transfer to ssd.
I'm leaning toward now taking an iPad.... Although its another device (and battery) which is going to have to 'suffer' deep cold for long periods of time; so again leaning against taking one LOL

I'm leaning toward now taking an iPad.... Although its another device (and battery) which is going to have to 'suffer' deep cold for long periods of time; so again leaning against taking one LOL
Steven, if you do use the iPad for transfers make sure you test it out first. Some SSD’s work better than others . I use a Samsung.

I always travel with an iPad Pro and carry at least two XQD/CFE readers with me, with integrated USB-C.

You might consider using in-body copy to an SD (if you have a Z8, e.g.), then copy that SD to a portable drive. I have a 3T WD My Passport drive that has a built-in SD 3.0 reader. Mine is an earlier version (and cheaper) that isn’t SSD, but it works the same.

Back