Baffin Island trip -- let the questions begin 1

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I always travel with an iPad Pro and carry at least two XQD/CFE readers with me, with integrated USB-C.

You might consider using in-body copy to an SD (if you have a Z8, e.g.), then copy that SD to a portable drive. I have a 3T WD My Passport drive that has a built-in SD 3.0 reader. Mine is an earlier version (and cheaper) that isn’t SSD, but it works the same.

Do you use the iPad in deep cold? I'd normally just take my laptop but it's not going to respond well to be frozen for many hours at a time time, for several days and then there's the issue with the battery, which likely wouldn't appreciate being charged before the laptop is brought to above freezing temps....

I always travel with an iPad Pro and carry at least two XQD/CFE readers with me, with integrated USB-C.

You might consider using in-body copy to an SD (if you have a Z8, e.g.), then copy that SD to a portable drive. I have a 3T WD My Passport drive that has a built-in SD 3.0 reader. Mine is an earlier version (and cheaper) that isn’t SSD, but it works the same.

As a follow up, I’ve just rebuilt my back up kit. It now includes:
  • Anker USB-C hub with PD USB-C, data USB-C, SD, micro-SD and HDMI
  • 2 TB SanDisk Extreme SSD drive
  • Lexar CFE reader
  • Sony XQD G reader
With the hub connected to my USB-C iPad Pro, I can connect both a reader and the SSD drive and copy directly from my memory card to the drive. Or, as I mentioned earlier, I can do an in-body transfer from my primary card to the SD, then copy that to my SSD via the hub.

Do you use the iPad in deep cold? I'd normally just take my laptop but it's not going to respond well to be frozen for many hours at a time time, for several days and then there's the issue with the battery, which likely wouldn't appreciate being charged before the laptop is brought to above freezing temps....
I’ve used my 12.9 iPad Pro regularly in freezing temps, but usually not too far below 0C/32F. Here are the official ‘environmental requirements’ for the current model:

Operating ambient temperature:
32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

Nonoperating temperature:
−4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)

Relative humidity:
5% to 95% noncondensing

Operating altitude:
tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

I’ve also used it at over 5000m, so I’m thinking that Apple‘s numbers are somewhat conservative.

A memory card is an “SSD”. The form factor may be different than you are use to, but it’s still an SSD. With a Z9 just place a memory card ( CF/XQD SSD) in slot 2, use the “Copy Images” and ”select all” in the Setup Menu. Do that as many times as you want depending on how many copies you would like. No need to carrying extra paraphernalia with you..Its really a simple task…

Yes. For Z9 plan to buy power packs and charge those via USB from inverter; and for D6 will have to plug the charger with converter into the inverter. May be VERY small group just me and two folks going with me so the line up for charging may be very manageable. The big challenge is there will only be a heated tent (for meals and 'lounging') for a few hours of the day so unless I put the batteries at the bottom of my sleeping bag at night.... :) This tour takes photographers often so doable just challenging I'm told. I could take a laptop but I'm thinking it won't like being in sub -15C weather for long periods :)
Have you asked the tour company for their advice on this? If they take photographers often they should have some idea on backups and batteries.

1. As there will be no laptop going with me when I spend 10 days on the ice of a fiord off northern Baffin Island in April (5 months and counting!) I am assuming all back up of files will be done on (in camera) memory cards. Or in other words, I'll shoot with slot 2 as back up and bring lots of cards as downloading to an external drive is not possible without the intermediary step of going to computer first?

Thanks.
If you have a tablet (e.g. iPad), it’s quite easy to transfer images from card to external SSD. I always take my iPad with me since it’s small & lightweight, and quickly download each day’s images into my backup Samsung 2TB SSDs. The iPad also gives the opportunity to review (but not really edit) images in a larger format than on the camera’s LCD panel - I find this helpful.

I’ve used my 12.9 iPad Pro regularly in freezing temps, but usually not too far below 0C/32F. Here are the official ‘environmental requirements’ for the current model:

Operating ambient temperature:
32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

Nonoperating temperature:
−4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)

Relative humidity:
5% to 95% noncondensing

Operating altitude:
tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

I’ve also used it at over 5000m, so I’m thinking that Apple‘s numbers are somewhat conservative.
A memory card is an “SSD”. The form factor may be different than you are use to, but it’s still an SSD. With a Z9 just place a memory card ( CF/XQD SSD) in slot 2, use the “Copy Images” and ”select all” in the Setup Menu. Do that as many times as you want depending on how many copies you would like. No need to carrying extra paraphernalia with you..Its really a simple task…
Thanks.

If you have a tablet (e.g. iPad), it’s quite easy to transfer images from card to external SSD. I always take my iPad with me since it’s small & lightweight, and quickly download each day’s images into my backup Samsung 2TB SSDs. The iPad also gives the opportunity to review (but not really edit) images in a larger format than on the camera’s LCD panel - I find this helpful.
Thanks. The 'issue' is I'm unlikely to be bringing, due to long term exposure to the cold, a laptop or tablet.

Have you asked the tour company for their advice on this? If they take photographers often they should have some idea on backups and batteries.
Have, yes. Just trying to determine the technical (eg I need to learn them :) ) of the backup :) Batteries will be what it will be. Will sleep with them and likely plug the powerbank into the camera and hang from the tripod when actually shooting; or tape chemical hand warmer to bottom of camera where the battery sits.

Here’s what Apple says about using an iPad in cold temps:

If your device gets too cold​

Using an iOS or iPadOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause your device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring your device back to higher ambient temperatures.

Your iOS or iPadOS device might not charge or could stop charging if it gets too cold.

And, here’s an insulating ‘capsule’ to help keep your iPad from freezing over…

EDIT: the Phoozy cases are currently on Black Friday sale on Amazon.

Last edited:
I use my iPad 11 Pro and a sandisc ssd.
Using a usb-c cable
Z8 -> iPad
iPad -> ssd
Gets me 2 copies. I also have Affinity Photo on the iPad as I do on my iMac, so I can do the occasional adjustment should I want.

Thanks. The 'issue' is I'm unlikely to be bringing, due to long term exposure to the cold, a laptop or tablet.
An iPhone…and presumably an Android phone as well…would also work to either store the photos directly or to copy from card to SSD…although I would use a powered hub if I was going to do that due to the smaller battery in a phone. Haven’t tried it with my iPhone 15 Pro Max, but it works with iPad and usb-c is usb-c and iOS and iPadOS are fundamentally the same thing. I’m also going to try and see if my Z9 will see an SSD connected via hub to its usb-c port…although I’m about 98% sure it wont work as there’s no menu item to copy except from slot to slot.

I use my iPad 11 Pro and a sandisc ssd.
Using a usb-c cable
Z8 -> iPad
iPad -> ssd
Gets me 2 copies. I also have Affinity Photo on the iPad as I do on my iMac, so I can do the occasional adjustment should I want.
Another good option if the iPad has enough storage space or the trip is short enough and shot count is low enough to not fill it up…but if it does then another SSD solves that as well.

Back