Best long lens for Z system

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I currently have the 500 mm PF lens as well as the 70-200 Nikon Z lens. These are the only long lenses I have at the current time. I don’t really know what to expect from Nikon regarding the 200 to 600 mm lens or for that matter the 800 mm prime on the road map. I absolutely love the 500 mm PF lens and it’s really great with the 1.4 teleconverter. The only unfortunate part of that is you’re all the way down to F8 with a teleconverter which is definitely not ideal for low light conditions. This is certainly one area where Sony has the advantage at this point by offering the 200 to 600 mm lens. I cannot support a 600 mm F4 lens and not even sure I could support it on a tripod carrying it for that matter. I’ve been looking in the used market at the 500 mm F/4 lenses. again this is a fairly substantial lens as far as weight and size but I would have a 5.6 500 mm lens with the teleconverter. They still are fairly expensive even used at this point and are definitely a phenomenal lens. I’m just wondering if I should go this route or just wait on the Nikon to come out with a longer lens? I am pretty certain that either the 800 mm prime or 600 mm prime for the Z system is going to be substantially more than a used 500 mm f/4. If I did go this route, I would definitely keep the 500 mm PF for a lightweight handheld lens. This is definitely what made the decision to send the Sony A1 and the 200-600 mm lens back so hard. I’m sure there are others that are having the same dilemma with what to do for a longer lens I would just like to get some thoughts from the members on here of what would possibly be the best route to go.

Reactions: Roy
personally i’d say if there are lenses on the z roadmap that fit your needs and you can wait, i would. they’ve been taking everything up a notch.

as an example, the 70-200 2.8e was already best of breed, super sharp across the frame and range and the 70-200 2.8s is noticeably sharper.

the sony 100-400 has great image quality and the nikon does that while extending less, mostly preserving the center of balance while zooming, quarter turn zoom, and no zoom creep.

i expect this trend to continue, especially for s-line glass

personally i’d say if there are lenses on the z roadmap that fit your needs and you can wait, i would. they’ve been taking everything up a notch.

as an example, the 70-200 2.8e was already best of breed, super sharp across the frame and range and the 70-200 2.8s is noticeably sharper.

the sony 100-400 has great image quality and the nikon does that while extending less, mostly preserving the center of balance while zooming, quarter turn zoom, and no zoom creep.

i expect this trend to continue, especially for s-line glass
I would really love to see them release the 200-600 and hopefully with a constant f 5.6

One problem I'm running into with the Z9 and 500mmpf is there's no way possible to balance it on my tripod gimbal. It's so rear heavy that even full forward on my lens plate is nowhere near being balanced. If I let go,it goes lol

it’s only a matter of time. but i’d set your expectation that it will be like the sony… 5.6 - 6.3. even though the nikon improved the 100-400 over what sony provides, the basic specs match.

it’s only a matter of time. but i’d set your expectation that it will be like the sony… 5.6 - 6.3. even though the nikon improved the 100-400 over what sony provides, the basic specs match.
The 100-400 is another lens I've contemplated but yet again with a teleconverter I'm back at f/8 or beyond. My 70-200 2.8z is phenomenal with the 1.4z teleconverter.

I currently have the 500 mm PF lens as well as the 70-200 Nikon Z lens. These are the only long lenses I have at the current time. I don’t really know what to expect from Nikon regarding the 200 to 600 mm lens or for that matter the 800 mm prime on the road map. I absolutely love the 500 mm PF lens and it’s really great with the 1.4 teleconverter. The only unfortunate part of that is you’re all the way down to F8 with a teleconverter which is definitely not ideal for low light conditions. This is certainly one area where Sony has the advantage at this point by offering the 200 to 600 mm lens. I cannot support a 600 mm F4 lens and not even sure I could support it on a tripod carrying it for that matter. I’ve been looking in the used market at the 500 mm F/4 lenses. again this is a fairly substantial lens as far as weight and size but I would have a 5.6 500 mm lens with the teleconverter. They still are fairly expensive even used at this point and are definitely a phenomenal lens. I’m just wondering if I should go this route or just wait on the Nikon to come out with a longer lens? I am pretty certain that either the 800 mm prime or 600 mm prime for the Z system is going to be substantially more than a used 500 mm f/4. If I did go this route, I would definitely keep the 500 mm PF for a lightweight handheld lens. This is definitely what made the decision to send the Sony A1 and the 200-600 mm lens back so hard. I’m sure there are others that are having the same dilemma with what to do for a longer lens I would just like to get some thoughts from the members on here of what would possibly be the best route to go.
I happened to be at the store when a pro sports photographer was there. He loves the 100-400 but is really looking forward to the 400 w/ 1.4tc. According to my small store, they have more than 20 orders for that lens.

I happened to be at the store when a pro sports photographer was there. He loves the 100-400 but is really looking forward to the 400 w/ 1.4tc. According to my small store, they have more than 20 orders for that lens.
Its definitely intriguing but wish it was a lower aperture. I still cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't produce the 200-600mm first. Seems it would sell like hotcakes.

Reactions: Hut
Its definitely intriguing but wish it was a lower aperture. I still cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't produce the 200-600mm first. Seems it would sell like hotcakes.
No one ever accused Nikon of being strategic... Also, making, not selling is the word of the day. They can't keep up on so many items right now, having a "hot seller" is simply not as important as having it out. The large aperture lenses require very complex glass-making processes.

No one ever accused Nikon of being strategic... Also, making, not selling is the word of the day. They can't keep up on so many items right now, having a "hot seller" is simply not as important as having it out. The large aperture lenses require very complex glass-making processes.
I agree wholeheartedly. A good 200-600 would complete my kit and give me everything I need. I have all other focal lengths covered in my 8 Z lenses I currently own. I am going to sell the 20mm 1.8Z because I prefer grabbing the 14-30 which is more versatile.

I agree wholeheartedly. A good 200-600 would complete my kit and give me everything I need. I have all other focal lengths covered in my 8 Z lenses I currently own. I am going to sell the 20mm 1.8Z because I prefer grabbing the 14-30 which is more versatile.
I think Nikon is about to change the definition of the "holy trinity."

I’ve the z 70-200 with the 2xTC as a stop-gap while I wait for the 200-600
I've talked to a couple people that are in contact with Nikon reps, one of which being a camera store owner. Both of them are saying there's nothing in the pipeline, or at least what they're being told of a 200-600 coming this year. Maybe we'll be surprised. I personally think it should have been released before the 400mm.

Back