BIF-Shooting gallery….. seagulls!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Larry S.

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A recent trip to North Carolina’s Outer Banks turned into impromptu BIF shooting gallery. This was a great opportunity to improve panning skills with a medium size slow moving shore bird. Sometimes when they fly into a headwind forward motion slows even more. I had wanted to shoot sanderlings and willets but this non-stop action was a lot of fun. These were with a Nikon D850 & 80-400mm.
D8J_2552.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

D8J_1979.jpeg

LCS_6871.jpeg

D8J_2481.jpeg

Herons are another species that has given me BIF opportunities. They are even slower than the gulls but seem to spook easily. The background in these two ruined otherwise decent shots…… I think it has finally sunk in that the background has to be considered equally. If I had sat down rather than shooting standing up I may have had much better images…… Steve talks about this in one of his recent videos…..😕

_LCS4856.jpeg

LS4_0440.jpeg

A recent trip to North Carolina’s Outer Banks turned into impromptu BIF shooting gallery. This was a great opportunity to improve panning skills with a medium size slow moving shore bird. Sometimes when they fly into a headwind forward motion slows even more. I had wanted to shoot sanderlings and willets but this non-stop action was a lot of fun. These were with a Nikon D850 & 80-400mm.
View attachment 74005

View attachment 74006

View attachment 74007

View attachment 74009
Whenever I am waiting for some action and I get board, I do the same thing. I live near the shore and they are everywhere. It is great practice especially since I’m using the D500 attached to a 500pf and a 1.4 tc which translates int 1050 mm. I try to see how quickly and accurately I can get them in the viewfinder to shoot.

Whenever I am waiting for some action and I get board, I do the same thing. I live near the shore and they are everywhere. It is great practice especially since I’m using the D500 attached to a 500pf and a 1.4 tc which translates int 1050 mm. I try to see how quickly and accurately I can get them in the viewfinder to shoot.
Ralph, that’s some seriously long glass (1050mm😳!) to track these guys…😂

View attachment 74005

View attachment 74006

View attachment 74007

View attachment 74009
Lovely photos!!! Very well done. 👍🏽

View attachment 74005

View attachment 74006

View attachment 74007

View attachment 74009
Nothing wrong with the D850 or your 80-400, i still have my D850 as back up to the Z9..............

Back