Bird ID

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I got this image a couple of days ago at a local marsh. I think it might be a Gadwall female but my Sibley's does not show a good image of females flying.
936.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Reactions: Roy
You might also try the Merlin app from the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. It’s free and has birdpacks from around the world (also free). It includes photo ID and sound ID that can be very useful.

Just running a screen shot of your photo through the Merlin photo ID app (without entering a location — adding location can increase the accuracy of photo ID), Merlin’s first choice was a gadwall, presumably female. Second choice was a northern pintail, again presumably female.

With dark bill and black rump, it looks like a Gadwall male. The female would show yellow on the bill and lack the black rump showing on undertail. Plus, the plumage detail on the throat and breast looks beady, not splotchy, I've attached photo of male and female in flight from Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

IMG_4846.jpg

Gadwall has whitish rear patches on the wing. The patches on this bird have the right shape for Gadwall but they look bluish to me. Larry never told us where the photo was taken; it is relevant.

Ok, location doesn't set off any bells for me, but I now agree with those who suggested Gadwall, but for whatever reason the wing patches appear a bit bluish.

Gadwall male I have photographed a number of them over the years.
_KMM3709.jpg
KMM_1266.jpg

Back