If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I sometimes get out on the water with my camera to capture wildlife. It seems the critters don't have the same flight response to humans on watercraft as they do when we're trudging around on 2 legs. For secretive marsh birds, such as Rails and Soras, I find being on the water an especially good way to see them and get up close and personal. Anyone else shooting from watercraft? Here's a few photos:
131821371_10223373978355612_9183813400527399558_o.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
156042241_10223943386750466_5488890726493299512_o.jpg
132036726_10223373978875625_8956851341620962376_o.jpg
135807810_10223487074982957_9032611219549823964_o.jpg
146706680_10223784811346180_8223342363881051335_o.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful shots of the sora(s). They and rails are tricky to find (at least in my neck of the woods). And the use of a kayak is either impractical or prohibited in locations where they are found. However, I have successfully used an inflatable kayak in the past few months to photograph a variety of birds offshore.

All images captured with Nikon D500 and Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 zoom.

American white pelicans
DSC_0219-Edit-3-5.jpg
DSC_2592-Edit-3.jpg

Brandt's cormorant
DSC_7181-Edit-3-2.jpg

Brown pelican
DSC_1702-Edit-2-2.jpg

Last edited:
I sometimes get out on the water with my camera to capture wildlife. It seems the critters don't have the same flight response to humans on watercraft as they do when we're trudging around on 2 legs. For secretive marsh birds, such as Rails and Soras, I find being on the water an especially good way to see them and get up close and personal. Anyone else shooting from watercraft? Here's a few photos: View attachment 28471View attachment 28474View attachment 28475View attachment 28476View attachment 28477
cool shots of some of my favorite birds

Both of you have some amazing images from the watercraft. Do you get nervous about your equipment taking a dunk? Congratulations on some awesome stuff here!
Yes, I'm very nervous and cautious while out on the water with my cameras. I'll keep them in a dry bag when entering and exiting the canoe or kayak as those times can be the most dangerous for taking an unexpected dip! So far, no issues... knock on wood! I just bought a Nikon D850. Don't think I'll bring that one out on the water yet! :)

Nice set. From both of you. I shoot a good bit from a kayak. Not as much as I should. Most times just enjoy paddling around. Even more than birds mammals(not marine) really ignore watercraft. Or better yet are often curious. For those who are trepidatious inflatable kayaks tend to be super stable. Particularly if you're not after a performance boat. Self-bailing inflatable kayaks are really just long, skinny zodiac type boats. Not the best paddlers but almost impossible to capsize.

Nice set. From both of you. I shoot a good bit from a kayak. Not as much as I should. Most times just enjoy paddling around. Even more than birds mammals(not marine) really ignore watercraft. Or better yet are often curious. For those who are trepidatious inflatable kayaks tend to be super stable. Particularly if you're not after a performance boat. Self-bailing inflatable kayaks are really just long, skinny zodiac type boats. Not the best paddlers but almost impossible to capsize.
That’s good to know. Next spring I may plan it. I watched the video on the one EFT uses and it appears to be perfect.

That’s good to know. Next spring I may plan it. I watched the video on the one EFT uses and it appears to be perfect.
I also have a larger, two seat Advanced Elements. They paddle really well so are fun for more than photography. Downside is that they are more difficult to get in/out of and they are not self-bailing. And the only place for the camera to ride is in your lap where it tends to get dripped on when you paddle. Some of the larger Aire, Saturn, etc, don't paddle as well but are much more user friendly.

I also have a larger, two seat Advanced Elements. They paddle really well so are fun for more than photography. Downside is that they are more difficult to get in/out of and they are not self-bailing. And the only place for the camera to ride is in your lap where it tends to get dripped on when you paddle. Some of the larger Aire, Saturn, etc, don't paddle as well but are much more user friendly.
thanks so much

I've often photographed from both canoe and kayak -- my favorite boat is my Hornbeck Lost Pond Boat (10'6", 16 pounds) which is a sit-on-the-bottom canoe paddled with a kayak paddle. It's easier to get in and out than my kayak, much much lighter and has more room for stuff. I keep the camera in a Pelican-type box when getting in and out and whenever the waves pick up.

Dry bag is key. Also, it's important to attach the dry bag to the kayak/canoe because, if you do flip, you don't want it sinking or floating away from you.

I am careful when I get the camera and lens out of the bag that the kayak is stable and unlikely to be rocked by waves, boat wakes etc. Depending on the stability of the craft, you may not have the luxury of either turning in your seat and/or holding the camera out over the water. For the pelican shots above, I pulled up on a sand bar or into some reeds and that helped a lot. The brown pelican and brandt's cormorant were photographed in open water and it was a bit sketchy, especially the pelican shot. Still, the kayak got me much closer than I would have been onshore, and I was still far enough away to not disturb or flush the birds.

I've had quite a bit of luck shooting from my kayak. My only complaint is the kayak itself - it's not a high-end model, so when you stop paddling it starts to turn...immediately! So sometimes I'm craning around to try to get the shot, or miss it altogether. I'd like to rig up a rudder to keep me going straight...maybe someday. Or a better kayak!

D31_1893.jpg
D31_1397.jpg
D32_0555.JPG

...My only complaint is the kayak itself - it's not a high-end model, so when you stop paddling it starts to turn...immediately! So sometimes I'm craning around to try to get the shot, or miss it altogether. I'd like to rig up a rudder to keep me going straight...maybe someday. Or a better kayak!
A rudder/skeg helps keep you going straight while gliding. But doesn't resolve the issue of spinning when you are sitting still. The boat just rotates around the skeg rather than other center of resistance(usually about where your butt is). In open water I keep the paddle across my lap so I can reach down with one hand and dip one end or the other to make minor corrections. The best solution is to slide up against shore, a rock, log, grass, whatever. Maybe not shore if you're shooting a bear that is looking curious about what that tasty looking thing is out there on the water.

Hey Dan - problem with my kayak is, it starts turning to one side or the other as soon as I stop paddling, when I'm still gliding forward! Like I said, it's a pretty cheap kayak. But I've done what you suggested - run it up against the shore, tall grass, etc. That helps...and I don't have those curious/hungry bears that you have!

The one I was looking at is an Advanced Element Straightedge angler model. It looks super stable and I think it would do well for photography. They have people standing up fishing in the brochure. Not sure how well it moves though.
I took my neighbors advanced element out for a test run and it did fine but not an angler model.
Nice looking boat. Self-bailer with no deck so eliminates the downsides of their sleeker/faster models. They also mention the self bailing ports can be closed when not needed which is a nice feature. Can't tell from any of the photos on the website but I'd assume it has a small integral skeg like their other boats. It's too small to be fast(speed is a function of hull length) but if like their other boats should track well. We've had our AE boat for 13 or 14 years(?). Unfortunately we've damaged it a few times and their customer service was awesome to deal with. Only use it a couple of weeks each year now because we take out dog along and need a bigger self-bailer.

Reactions: Hut
I sometimes get out on the water with my camera to capture wildlife. It seems the critters don't have the same flight response to humans on watercraft as they do when we're trudging around on 2 legs. For secretive marsh birds, such as Rails and Soras, I find being on the water an especially good way to see them and get up close and personal. Anyone else shooting from watercraft? Here's a few photos: View attachment 28471View attachment 28474View attachment 28475View attachment 28476View attachment 28477
Love the pics. Beautiful duck widgeon? but what type and where did you take the pic? I have some American ones I posted a couple weeks back. I was thinking how to use my flyfishing float tube but not sure how to keep equip dry yet or outfit with a deck to set stuff on. The stability and maneuverability would be comforting to a kayak or canoe with fins to twist around. Only issue would be really slow to get around.

One thing that really comes in handy with either a kayak or a canoe like my Hornbeck is a short child's canoe paddle (about three feet long). I keep it in the boat and use the double-bladed paddle most of the time, but when you want to get closer without scaring the subject the short paddle eliminates a lot of movement, especially the flash of the upper blade of the paddle, and can be feathered as it's brought forward for another stroke which eliminates even more movement and splashing.

One thing that really comes in handy with either a kayak or a canoe like my Hornbeck is a short child's canoe paddle (about three feet long). I keep it in the boat and use the double-bladed paddle most of the time, but when you want to get closer without scaring the subject the short paddle eliminates a lot of movement, especially the flash of the upper blade of the paddle, and can be feathered as it's brought forward for another stroke which eliminates even more movement and splashing.
This is a great point to bring up. I use a paddle that breaks down and when getting close can separate it in the middle and use one half like a canoe paddle. That is one bid downside to the double ended kayak paddle is the off side blade flashing in the air and making a lot of very noticeable movement.

This is actually the model I was looking at I like the looks of the seat (I'm all wore out). I don't much about kayaks but this looks good maybe.
Yeah it looks like a pretty nice boat. In the specs it does say that it has a removeable skeg. Which is good. AE has really expanded their line. When we bought ours they made two or three models. They still make the one we have which is the expedition convertible with deck and drop stitch floor. The drop stitch floor is a must IMO for any serious paddling. Looks like it comes standard on the angler model.

Another thing I just thought of regarding sneak factor etc. You'll want some sort of anchor with a small line of length appropriate to where you will use the boat. I recommend using something like a mushroom anchor like the ones used for river drift fishing. They have no moving parts so won't make any noise at inopportune moments. Also no sharp points. There are times when it may be convenient to slip an anchor in the water rather than having to constantly use the paddle to stay in one place while watching wildlife on shore.

Reactions: Hut
That is a great idea that occurred to me on one of my outings, when I blew a shot at a Belted Kingfisher in just that fashion!

Yeah it looks like a pretty nice boat. In the specs it does say that it has a removeable skeg. Which is good. AE has really expanded their line. When we bought ours they made two or three models. They still make the one we have which is the expedition convertible with deck and drop stitch floor. The drop stitch floor is a must IMO for any serious paddling. Looks like it comes standard on the angler model.

Another thing I just thought of regarding sneak factor etc. You'll want some sort of anchor with a small line of length appropriate to where you will use the boat. I recommend using something like a mushroom anchor like the ones used for river drift fishing. They have no moving parts so won't make any noise at inopportune moments. Also no sharp points. There are times when it may be convenient to slip an anchor in the water rather than having to constantly use the paddle to stay in one place while watching wildlife on shore.
I use an anchor for these reasons as well! Works great.

Love the pics. Beautiful duck widgeon? but what type and where did you take the pic? I have some American ones I posted a couple weeks back. I was thinking how to use my flyfishing float tube but not sure how to keep equip dry yet or outfit with a deck to set stuff on. The stability and maneuverability would be comforting to a kayak or canoe with fins to twist around. Only issue would be really slow to get around.
Thanks Kurt! Yes, an American Wigeon (Correction: A Green-Winged Teal, I believe!). I'm using two boats. An older Old Town Saranac 146 canoe and an Eddyline Sandpiper 130 Kayak. The Kayak is very stable (not as stable as a fishing Kayak, but pretty darn good). The Kayak is much faster and easier to paddle and loads more fun. I hold my camera with 150-600mm lens on my chest with one of those "Cotton Carrier" harnesses. I put camera gear in a dry bag for getting on and off the kayak or canoe. Any drips with the kayak paddle are well away from the camera gear.

Last edited: