Birding tripod head.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A gimbal is best for really large lenses weighing 5+ pounds. The 500 PF is what I deem a medium weight lens of 3.2 lbs. Choose a ball head that can easily handle the weight of your camera body and the lens. RRS, Acratech and others make high quality ball heads. I recommend not choosing an off brand of questionable quality.

Even before I switched to video I became a fan of fluid heads -- smooth panning and properly balanced they stick when you want them to, though they tend to be larger and heavier than simple ball heads if you want them to be effective. Check out Hudson Henry's videos for some examples.

I usually use a FlexShooter ballhead for bird photography now. These ballheads have a variable friction system that allows the head to behave very much like a gimbal, i.e., the camera/lens can be pointed in any direction or up/down and the rig will stay in place without flopping. For a smaller rig, the Flexshooter mini is ideal, except for the high price.

B&H carries FlexShooter products.

The only time I used a tripod with the 500mm PF lens was to do autofocus fine tuning with the D850,. Even when I was in the Pantanal and using the TC-20 on it to photograph jaguars and needed more stability I used a monopod as I was in a small boat.

For shooting video I would use a tripod and then it would be with a head that attached to a 75mm ball mount.

A very good gimbal for stills and video is the Gitzo "fluid dampened" head which I bought originally for video but is now my primary head for stills with heavy lenses like a 600mm f/4 for example, unless I am flying to a destination and want something more compact.

I usually use a FlexShooter ballhead for bird photography now. These ballheads have a variable friction system that allows the head to behave very much like a gimbal, i.e., the camera/lens can be pointed in any direction or up/down and the rig will stay in place without flopping. For a smaller rig, the Flexshooter mini is ideal, except for the high price.

B&H carries FlexShooter products.
Can the Flexshooter ball head be used with 600mm f4 lenses for still and video?

Even before I switched to video I became a fan of fluid heads -- smooth panning and properly balanced they stick when you want them to, though they tend to be larger and heavier than simple ball heads if you want them to be effective. Check out Hudson Henry's videos for some examples.
Can fluid heads be used with large telephotos?

Can fluid heads be used with large telephotos?
Yes, they can. You would need a larger fluid head which may be heavier than a gimbal, but you often see photographers with a head like a Manfrotto 502 supporting a 600mm. The best (usually bigger and quite expensive) fluid heads provide adjustable pan and tilt drag plus variable counterbalance, but even heads with less features can certainly be used for large lenses.

On that same setup, I'm finding that I'm using my tripod a lot less with the 500PF than my previous 200-500mm.

Two reasons... one, the 500PF is so light that it's easy to handhold as opposed to the rather heavy zoom. And two, the shorter lens foot (swapped mine for a Hejnar foot, which is slightly longer but still pretty short) and the heavier Z9 makes it difficult to balance on my gimbal without moving it so far forward that my fingers are pressing against the gimbal itself.

Still using a tripod for video, but using a basic RRS ballhead which works out fine. I have a big BH-55 that I use for landscape/astro, but it's stupid heavy for travel or for long hikes in the field, so I picked up a smaller BH-30 for travel. That one has a 15lb load rating and only weighs about 1 lb itself, so the Z9/500pf combo is well within limit.

Is a gimbal the only sensible choice for bird photography?
I'm using a Z9 + 500pf.
Lighter the better.
Thanks.
In most situations, I love shooting birds with my Benro GH2 on a Gitzo carbon tripod - smooth & fluid with an almost unlimited range of motion. The primary exception is small, quick moving birds such as warblers, when I typically hand hold. My preference is to use a tripod and gimbal whenever practical, since it provides the maximum stability and relieves my aging muscles. One of the best bird photographers in the world, Marie Read, recommends a tripod (or ground pod) and gimbal in most situations.

How is the lightweight Manfrotto 500AH fluid head for 600mm f4 lenses for still and video? I want to try fluid heads for still photos after watching Hudson Henry's videos.
I've used the 500AH with the Nikon 600 FL E as a light weight "portable" setup on an RRS 24L tripod. You can't do large elevation moves and maintain perfect balance without adjusting the lens forward/backward in the saddle plate, but it was workable. What I really liked about the 500AH was that is was much smaller/lighter compared to my old Wimberley. In fact I liked it so well that I sold the wimberly. One downside of the 500AH though is that it has no pan drag adjustment -- panning is dampened but cannot be adjusted. I still have the 500AH and 24L that I use for very light duty video work.

I've since acquired a 502AH which I use on an eckla eagle car-door mount. I don't have the 600mm any more but there's no doubt the 502 is a better overall fit for a 600mm but it's quite a bit bigger than the 500AH. Morten Hilmer used the 502AH for years so it must have worked well enough for him, but lately I noticed he's changed to a Sachtler Ace with the 75mm ball (which I also own). For stills, I'd recommend staying with a flat base for system compatibility, but if you're serious the Sachtler Ace is superior to the 502AH.

Both my 500 & 502 have been adapted to take arca-swiss saddle plates to maintain system compatibility. As fluid heads go the Manfrottos are inexpensive but perform quite well, especially for stills shooting and I recommend them. If you start getting serious about video work there are a lot more options. My main setup is a Sachtler Aktiv8 & Flowtech 75 tripod, but that's a big step up in performance, weight and cost.

Last edited:
Question, is the Benro WH15 head a fluid head or not? It's made to sound as if it's a true fluid head. But Hunts and B&H use "friction" wording for pan and tilt control. Do any here know for sure?

I have a RRS BH55 and a Wimberley gimbal but have also thought about a fluid head for a few years. Aside, can a fluid head achieve "zero gravity" like a properly balanced gimbal, i.e. say 75* vertical with hands off and stay put?

Thanks kindly folks.

Question, is the Benro WH15 head a fluid head or not? It's made to sound as if it's a true fluid head. But Hunts and B&H use "friction" wording for pan and tilt control. Do any here know for sure?

I have a RRS BH55 and a Wimberley gimbal but have also thought about a fluid head for a few years. Aside, can a fluid head achieve "zero gravity" like a properly balanced gimbal, i.e. say 75* vertical with hands off and stay put?

Thanks kindly folks.
Its at my house now I can answer about the fluidity when I get home and open the box. Generally with a fluid head there is an adjustable spring that counteracts the weight of the camera/lens when its tilted but 75* is maybe a little beyond realistic expectations.

Reactions: DsD
Preferences abound! Mine is Wimberley II, have a pair of em.
I have tried and could not accept ball heads, seem to by to wobbly, fiddled with them non-stop.

Not sure if op, Zof9 has returned to see the suggestions

Its at my house now I can answer about the fluidity when I get home and open the box. Generally with a fluid head there is an adjustable spring that counteracts the weight of the camera/lens when its tilted but 75* is maybe a little beyond realistic expectations.
Thanks Wes. My ADD might be why I missed your earlier post about buying this head. Interested to get your read on it.

Plus, 75* was just for illustrative purposes. Nice to park a gimbal head on a nest and hang out until something happens and know that the focus is still on the nest (or insert whatever here).

I have a RRS RH-55 ballhead with a Wimberley Sidekick that is plenty of support for the 500mm PF or similar weight. For heavier gear like my 600mm f/4, I use the RRS Gimbal Head.

IF you have a heavy lens, a gimbal head is a lot easier to use. I'd put the Flexshooter head in this category because of the way it operates.

Back