Birding tripod head.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks Eric if that was directed toward me. I'm moving to all Z lens for the Z9 as they are smaller and mostly lighter, but I still have the 200-500 in my stable. Probably should just stick with what I already have.

Thanks Wes. My ADD might be why I missed your earlier post about buying this head. Interested to get your read on it.

Plus, 75* was just for illustrative purposes. Nice to park a gimbal head on a nest and hang out until something happens and know that the focus is still on the nest (or insert whatever here).
Ok, So I think I have a new go-to tripod head. pan and tilt on the Benro wh15 are fluid dampened and seem adequate to control "sticktion" at the start and stop of camera movement. The counterbalance is far more than needed. A pro body on a 600 f4E only needs a setting of 4 out of 8 and generally does a good job of holding position when you let go, bumping the counterweight up to 5 requires drag to be set which might impact sticktion just a touch. As of right now the only gripe I might have is the pan lock lever is a bit small and tucked in so quick manipulation might take a little getting used to. Any questions while Im playing with it?

Thanx Wes. How smooth and what settings are useable with the Z9 and say 70-200 Z or 100-400Z (smaller lighter teles)? You say counterbalance is "generally good". Then there is some creep? Sorry, I have no experience with fluid heads.

Thanx Wes. How smooth and what settings are useable with the Z9 and say 70-200 Z or 100-400Z (smaller lighter teles)? You say counterbalance is "generally good". Then there is some creep? Sorry, I have no experience with fluid heads.
setting 2 on the counterbalance seems about right with a 70-200vr2. Just a slight amount of stiction on the tilt axis but both axis are smooth and consistent. The counterbalance seems to be well "timed" to compensate for telephotos.

Reactions: DsD
My photography is heavily bird centric. I owned the 500pf and never used it on a tripod.
The only time I have used a tripod in the last 3 years was a few times with my 600f/4E and to test new camera and lens combos.
I have a great Wimberly head but the FlexShooter Pro Lever Black Ball Head is what is on my tripod now.
If you need support and light weight you might consider a mono pod with a wimberly mono gimbal. @Steve has done a video on that in the past.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the feedback.
Lots of great options. 👍

I shoot handheld 90% of the time.

When I'm sitting still, I sometimes prefer to use a tripod.

Just picked up a Leofoto PG-1 for a great price. Gimbal it is!

Thanks again.
Jon.

Having tried many different heads, I am a hugh fan of the FlexShooteer Pro (middle sized version, not the mini or the extreme). A ball in ball system. It weighs only 1.5 pounds, less than half of what the Wimberley head weighs. It functions as a gimbal head and absolutely supports and balances with the Nikon 600mm f4 on a large Nikon body - as good as the Wimberley. And it is also a reasonably good bullhead. So no need to carry a separate head for doing landscapes or macro work. I previously used a similar ball in ball system by Uniqball, but the FlexShooter is definitely superior in function. The FlexShooter comes with either a knob to lock the lens plate in, or for a few extra dollars it comes with a lever to lock in the lens plate, which I prefer.

Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal Head for Monopods is what Steve uses. Waiting for mine to be delivered today. Steve has a video on how he uses it and why.
I've been using the Wimberley MonoGimbal head with my monopod and have been very happy with it. A big lens balances nicely on it.
So for me, I now more often shoot hand held because of the lighter weight and great image stabilization of the Nikon Z system. Or I shoot with a monopod which gives me more flexibility than using a tripod. Or I use a tripod for maximum stability. Depends on the situation.

With such a light combo, the gimbal and tripod are unnecessary, in addition, for example, hand held will give you more agility and freedom for birds in flight.
Bandera de Chile 90.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

What about a flex shooter pro on a monopod instead of the Wimberley monogimbal? Anyone try that combo?
I can tell you it makes that combination makes no sense. The FlexShooter would just not work the way it does on a tripod. I believe people have tried to use a big Wimberley head on a monopod. I tried that and it didn't feel right. But the Wimberley mono gimbal which I have really does work well on a monopod.

Is a gimbal the only sensible choice for bird photography?
I'm using a Z9 + 500pf.
Lighter the better.
Thanks.
A Gimbal head is still the best choice for tracking BIFs.
Although I sometimes use a RRF 55 ball head on the smaller 500mm and 400mm lenses.
Ball heads aren't that good for tracking but are more convenient.
I found the sidekick wasn't very steady on the longer lenses and dont use it anymore...🦘

I have an old Uniqball 45 which is a predecessor to the Flexshooter, I believe. Never got on with it that well because the friction level wouldn’t stay consistent. Is the Flexshooter better in that regard?

Mostly use the 500 pf hand held. When a tripod is needed I use a standard ball head from Gitzo which also works for all my wider lenses and long exposures. When hiking I am not taking a separate head. I also have a 500 mm f4 which I now rarely use and for lens I se a Gombal.

I can tell you it makes that combination makes no sense. The FlexShooter would just not work the way it does on a tripod. I believe people have tried to use a big Wimberley head on a monopod. I tried that and it didn't feel right. But the Wimberley mono gimbal which I have really does work well on a monopod.
Thank you Ivan. I guess it takes 3 legs to make that combo work then, which makes sense.

Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal Head for Monopods is what Steve uses. Waiting for mine to be delivered today. Steve has a video on how he uses it and why.
My Wimberley MH-100 Mono-Gimbal Head for Monopods arrived at 5:30pm. By 5:45, I opened the package and mounted the Wimberly on my monopod with my Z9 and my 200-400 F4. I found that the combination was well balanced and easy to maneuver as described in Steve's video. Can't wait to get out in the field.

For my Nikon 500mm f5.6 pf lens and my Z9 or D500 or D850 I use a monopod fitted with the Wimberley MH-100 mono gimbal head and a quick release clamp. I attach the QR clamp to the monopod and then the MH-100 mono gimbal head. That way I can use the monopod for any camera or lens with an arca swiss plate or foot. Sometimes I use a tripod and a ball head . If I did not already have a ballhead, I would get the Flexshooter ballhead--the middle sied one.

For a 500mm f4 or 600MM F4 I would likely use my Wimberley II gimbal.

Check out the Jobu Junior 3 gimbal as it is smaller and lighter than the Wimberley II. Read its specs carefully as your lens may need the Deluxe version. Some love or hate the location of the two locking knobs that are on different sides.

I have an old Uniqball 45 which is a predecessor to the Flexshooter, I believe. Never got on with it that well because the friction level wouldn’t stay consistent. Is the Flexshooter better in that regard?
I also had used the Uniqball and never loved it. The Wimberley head was better. But the FlexShooter is much better than the Uniqball and for me works just about as well as the Wimberley. Very easy to balance big glass. And of course, the FlexShooter gives advantages over the Wimberley in that it is much lighter in weight and it also functions as a perfectly adequate ball head when using a camera with smaller lenses that do not have a tripod collar.

Back