Birds in Flight -- Share your BIF Images

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

From a couple of weeks ago at a local wildlife pond, Not much going on here background wise but I like catching a glimpse of what feels like the herons
DSC_1041.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
power and determination.

D850, 300mm f/2,8VR + TC1,4II @f/7.1 1/1600 ISO 720

Saw this female Western Tanager perching above me hunting insects and then returning to the same branch. Shooting pretty much straight up with a mess of background branches but still liked the way this came out as she honed in on her catch:

Nikon D500, 500mm PF @f/5.6, 1/3200", ISO 720
500_4077-Edit-Edit.jpg

Saw this female Western Tanager perching above me hunting insects and then returning to the same branch. Shooting pretty much straight up with a mess of background branches but still liked the way this came out as she honed in on her catch:

Nikon D500, 500mm PF @f/5.6, 1/3200", ISO 720
View attachment 4493

Whaooooo what a shot :cool:
the little insect even has it wings spread - great capture

Nonsense, your shot is great. I love the rim lighting around the feathers.

Keep 'em coming. Personally I like threads like this to see what other folks are doing and to try to advance my own game, it provides a lot of motivation to get out and shoot.
Well Said! I agree. The extra information helps me see where and how others are capturing our feathered friends.
Keep filling in the camera/lens info and settings for your shot, and location. Valuable information for all of us.

Here is some more Sandhill Cranes. This is at Lind Coulee Sept 2018. It shows the painted colors on their feathers.

D500, Tamron 150-600mm
500_9390-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

Not gonna make any magazine covers but I liked the looks of this Northern Harrier in 2018.
D500, Tamron 150-600

500_0280.jpg

DRwyoming said:

That is an excellent wing spread, love the action and the tidbit on the escape, Dave!!

DRwyoming said:

That is an excellent wing spread, love the action and the tidbit on the escape, Dave!!
Thanks Callie!

I do like including a bit about how things came about. I doubt I could have pointed up at a quick bird like that already in erratic flight and capture the image. But after the second or third time she flew out and returned to the same branch I just held her in Group AF mode with BBAF activated and pressed the shutter release as she launched forward. Got a few in focus shots but it was the wing spread and the unexpected bug in the photo that led me to post this particular image.

Back