Birds with my new Z600 TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thank you very much, Imago. Much appreciated!

It is early days yet and at this stage it is hard to pick between them IQ-wise when the 600TC is at 840mm. The 600 TC does have better AF ability. The 800 is lighter and is a little easier to maneuver but not a big deal. I didn't sell the 800PF for any other reason other than I needed to help fund the 600TC but I really didn't need the 800PF once I had the 600TC. In other words, I didn't get rid of it due to any IQ issues, it was purely financial and would have been a double up with the 600TC. I loved the 800PF whilst I had it but now I have the 600TC I won't miss it.

The reason for getting the 600TC were a number of factors: I wanted a pro lens to replace my 400 f2.8E FL VR but I had to sell it to fund either a 400TC or the 600TC. I couldn't justify the $25,000 asking price when I would only get $8-9,000 at best for my 400 f2.8E FL VR as a private sale. I would have to advertise it in the second hand columns and deal with buyers and cash and all that rigmarole - I just kept putting it off. A special deal came up where I was able to snag $10,000 for the 400 f2.8E FL VR and a great deal on my 800PF as well. The decision was between the 400TC and 600TC. I found I was mostly shooting at 600mm+ and I mostly used the 800PF and thus I would just about always be using a 400TC with at least the internal TC and also with the other 1.4x TC or a 2x TC for 800mm. Thus the 600TC it was. When I had the 800PF I needed a shorter lens as well and I used the 500PF - this meant swapping lenses. I may even take a 70-200 f2.8 or 100-400 but an 800PF, 500PF and either the 70-200 or 100-400 would all take up much space in a backpack. The 600TC alleviates that, I can just use it by itself or I can add the 100-400 or 70-200.
Thank you so much for detailed explanation 🙏

Hey OZ Man! You nailed a super series with such slow shutter on the biggie lens. Proves the lens set is amazing with the right man handling it. Carry on, and share

Lance, as always excellence. In your estimation is there something you can do to get some of the bird tails sharper? Is it the lower shutter speed or a lack of depth? Great series.
Thank you very much, Dan. Much appreciated!
It's the lack of depth of field due to the wider aperture. Even at f8 or more some of these would still have unsharp tails. At f8 or more, we then run into much higher ISO's and thus lots of noise. All things are a compromise.

Great set of shots Lance,were the zoo shots taken at Taronga Zoo, we are are planning a visit there soon (been going to Melb Zoo too often haha,need a change) and I’m dying to see a Forest Kingfisher great work good luck with a awesome lens

Great set of shots Lance,were the zoo shots taken at Taronga Zoo, we are are planning a visit there soon (been going to Melb Zoo too often haha,need a change) and I’m dying to see a Forest Kingfisher great work good luck with a awesome lens
Thank you very much Trapper12. Much appreciated!
Yes, they were taken at Taronga Zoo. The Forest Kingfishers were taken in the Rainforest Aviary.

If you have a chance, Werribee Open Range Zoo is highly recommended ✌️
Thanks for the tip. I have been to Werribee Open Range Zoo back in 2013 but would love to go back. I have also been told that the Werribee Treatment Plant Ponds are good.

Thanks for the tip. I have been to Werribee Open Range Zoo back in 2013 but would love to go back. I have also been told that the Werribee Treatment Plant Ponds are good.
The Werribee zoo has changed a lot since 2013, you are not going to be disappointed. In particular, all Asian elephants are going to move to their new home there, hopefully, around an end of this year. i Their new home is approximately 26 acres which is as big as the whole Melbourne zoo but just for their family. Isn’t that exciting!

For WTP, a key could be picked up from an Information Centre in front of the Werribee zoo. They are quite flexible regarding the return of the key, just check with them. It is quite big and has a lot of wildlife, not just birds.

Have fun 📷

The Werribee zoo has changed a lot since 2013, you are not going to be disappointed. In particular, all Asian elephants are going to move to their new home there, hopefully, around an end of this year. i Their new home is approximately 26 acres which is as big as the whole Melbourne zoo but just for their family. Isn’t that exciting!

For WTP, a key could be picked up from an Information Centre in front of the Werribee zoo. They are quite flexible regarding the return of the key, just check with them. It is quite big and has a lot of wildlife, not just birds.

Have fun 📷
Thank you very much for the very valuable info! I shall have to get back down to Werribee Zoo. :)

Lance
Beaut images! Love the Forest KF, 😻 🤩 its so vibrant.
Congrats on the new toy, may it bring you many happy hours of creating lasting memories!
Now you know why I still shoot DSRL - at ± R18 a US$, there is no way I can swap to Z.

Have fun 📷
WTP?

Lance
Beaut images! Love the Forest KF, 😻 🤩 its so vibrant.
Congrats on the new toy, may it bring you many happy hours of creating lasting memories!
Now you know why I still shoot DSRL - at ± R18 a US$, there is no way I can swap to Z.
Thank you very much, Callie. Much appreciated!
Sorry for late response, I missed your reply.

Nope... looks completely broken. I'll DM my address for a second opinion, it's going to take me at least 18 months to fully test it and confirm the results. :)

Seriously, nice shots and a big congrats on the new lens. Nikon has a winner here for sure! Someone put in a word over at Sony please, we need a 600TC as well.

Enjoy the day.
Hatch

Nope... looks completely broken. I'll DM my address for a second opinion, it's going to take me at least 18 months to fully test it and confirm the results. :)

Seriously, nice shots and a big congrats on the new lens. Nikon has a winner here for sure! Someone put in a word over at Sony please, we need a 600TC as well.

Enjoy the day.
Hatch
Thank you very much, Hatch. Much appreciated!

Back