Camera Backpacks for 800 mm PF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use the Mindshift Backlight 36L for the 800 PF and Z9. The other lenses are the 500pf with 1.4x TCIII attached and the 24-70 f2.8S:

original.jpg
That is my backpack that I use if I need one and it is fantastic. Think Tank has a lot of versatile stuff that works for this bird nut :cool:

I searched and found the photos of your custom system combining the ThinkTank harness and MRJan. Wow, it looks awesome and you have everything at hand. Thanks for sharing all the details above, as you obviously put a lot of time and thought into creating your custom system. Much appreciated.
your welcome and I see Lance just posted a photo of the backpack I use when I do need one ... which for me is seldom

Retrospective Duffels mentioned above. Packed and ready to put in the SUV. For a short day shoot at a church event.

IMG_1030.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_1031.jpg
IMG_1032.jpg
IMG_1033.jpg

Is the 3rd photo your Stash Master?
Yes one of them inside of the small size retro duffel the last shot just shows after closing and zipping the cube and zipping up the duffel. I have 2 small retro duffels and two cubes as I call the stash master. When we traveled to West Yellowstone in may for the week long symposium I took all 3 duffels with cubes in each small duffel and that held all my camera gear and clothes.

I searched and found the photos of your custom system combining the ThinkTank harness and MRJan. Wow, it looks awesome and you have everything at hand. Thanks for sharing all the details above, as you obviously put a lot of time and thought into creating your custom system. Much appreciated.
your welcome and the reps at think tank were very helpful ... even sent me some small straps that are not for sale on their web page ... repair parts ... I sent photos of MRJan Gear carrier and how it attached to a back pack or the light harness shipped with the MRJan and between the rep and myself we put together my order. All worked as planned and it took me about 30 minutes to do the first assembly and fitting and now it takes a minute or two.

Bumping this thread, as the arrival of the Z8 has changed the calculus on this:

The 800PF on the Z8, with hood reversed, will fit in the Backlight 26L, as will the 100-400. A Zemlin hood (and lens cap) is necessary though, as the diameter of the stock Nikon hood is too large for this bag. Only drawback is the rig won’t fit while in shooting ready position, but if that isn’t a concern, I think this is an amazing bag. It cuts a lot of weight that the Backlight 36L brings to the table, and is super nice to travel with.

I have all three Backlight bags, ask me anything :)

IMG_5335.jpeg

I keep the Z800 in a Thinktank Glass Taxi, so the lens is in a bag without the Nikon logo.

In a Thinktank Airport Accelerator:
Z9, Z8, 24-120Z, 100-400Z, 400 4.5Z +Z1.4TC, 50 f1.8Z, 105Z
The 800 mm lens is not one I hike long distances with; it stays closer to the car.

Hiking, I carry the 800 in my hand.

For flying, I have a Gura Gear Kiboko and the 800 mm lens takes up one whole side of the bag.
Then other side has 2 bodies, the 24-120 and the 105macro.

Yes, the Z800 is a big lens and requires some reconfiguration of the bag and gear.

Have a look at the Mindshift Backlight 45L Elite. Not cheap but excellent materials and comfort.
I have used this backpack for short hikes and also flying with a fair amount of gear. But the fStop Sukha is the better choice for big loads and longer hikes (well designed harness). A 400 f2.8E fits - just - as it is 155mm wide, and even wider with reversed hood. It has many innovative features, including the detaching lid and hipbelt that turns into a waistpack, and removable ICU with a top and back flaps.

Its negatives are the lack of side panels and I found items hard to find in the accessory compartment, unless one uses the Thinktank accessories pouches.

Update to previous posts, I've since found the fStop DuraDiamond Tilopa significantly better. Note fStop also the new smaller Ajna model, which fits the 800 PF (according to shuttermuse review). These fStop packs have a comfortable harness and side and outer pouches work well - high quality, very well made. The fStop ICUs have more depth, which is essential to fit wide telephotos

The only negative is only the very largest fStop ICU has a top opening flap, which is needed to access a lens when is sitting in vertical position. Shuttermuse has reviewed many of these larger packs and ICUs etc

Last edited:
Since there seems to be a lot of bag interest I'll throw out one that hasn't been mentioned. 5.11 makes a decent hiking bag. It has a ton of MOLLE so attaching pouches is easy. Good hip belt with pockets to double it over and stuff it out of the way. It's the Rush 72 v2. 0.

The Fstoppers ICU pro XL fits the bag like it was made for it.

It makes a nice combination and in my opinion is more rugged and has more options than a lot of high end bags.

ThinkTank has a range of redesigned Master Photo Cubes aka ICUs that can be used in many different bags to protect photographic gear.
Unfortunately, the largest unit is still too small for most of the telephotos on the market, so the older ICU sold with the Backlight Elite 45L is their single option.

Although the new Shimoda telephoto ICUs nor larger fStop ICUs fit big telephotos, neither have the top access.

correction: the Shimado XXL does have top access

Last edited:
ThinkTank has a range of redesigned Master Photo Cubes aka ICUs that can be used in many different bags to protect photographic gear.
Unfortunately, the largest unit is still too small for most of the telephotos on the market, so the older ICU sold with the Backlight Elite 45L is their single option.

Although the new Shimoda telephoto ICUs nor larger fStop ICUs fit big telephotos, neither have the top access.

It would be great if the XL ICU had top opening like the Master-CINE ICU does.

The XL ICU is a great fit for all super telephotos. You've now got me thinking about just cutting away the top end of the ICU so I can pull out my camera/lens from the top of my Ajna 37L (original version) bag.

I've stretched my ICU over the years so that I can fit my A1 mounted to 600GM in the XL ICU with hood reversed but just cutting off the top end may work as I don't need the top.
IMG_3756.jpg
IMG_3758.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Sure! The 800PF will fit without the Z8 attached. The stock 800PF hood is a tiny bit too large, as it bulges out the lid, but it still fits… a short Zemlin replacement hood fits a little better though. Overall, the Backlight 26L is just about the perfect bag 👌

The 36L can fit everything comfortably, Z8+800PF attached, but it’s a massive bag compared to the 26L.

Last edited:
Sure! The 800PF will fit without the Z8 attached. The stock 800PF hood is a tiny bit too large, as it bulges out the lid, but it still fits… a Zemlin replacement hood fits a little better though. Overall, the Backlight 26L is just about the perfect bag 👌

The 36L can fit everything comfortably, Z8+800PF attached, but it’s a massive bag compared to the 26L.
Sounds great. If I get that combo, I'll definitely be getting the Zemlin hood and cap. The setup I'm looking at is the Z8, 800 PF and 600 PF. So the last question would be if all 3 of those could fit in the 26L.

I have all three Backlight bags, ask me anything
I have the 26L and love it, but a lot of times I feel like it's overkill for a single camera/lens. For example, I currently have the R5/100-500 but I'm looking at the Z8/600PF. I'd have just that in the bag, a monopod on one side, water on the other, and some small accessories (batteries, wipes). Since you have all 3 sizes, do you feel like there is enough of a difference in size between the 26L and 18L to justify another bag? It's hard to tell from the pictures and dimensions.

Back