Camera Labs review of Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I start to worry! I am asking myself if I did good by ordering the 400 Z lens or should I cancel my order? Should I wait for the 200-600mm but at the same time I prefer Prime telephoto? Don't know anymore what to do.

He did, but he didn't send them to me. I can take a few direct comparisons.

His impression was that it was mostly a utility upgrade. He's selling his 600mm F/4, and 400mm F/2.8 to pay for it, and now only has to drag around one six pound lens instead of two monsters which he thought was the greatest upgrade of all time.

He said side by side you wouldn't know which image was which, but his impression is the FL is slightly sharper in the center, and the corners, with a bit more pop and the bokeh is a little cleaner wide open.

8.3 lbs vs 6.5 lbs, roughly speaking in terms of weight difference. Not remotely twice the weight. The Z is 2950g there buddy.
A couple direct comparisons would be cool. I have one on order and am planning to use it with TCs as needed, so the sharper the better.

Not a comparison between lenses but a couple of examples with 100% crops from Saturday. I wasn't there to make art, just have a play with the new combo with a few eagles sat around and some flying displays. Bear in mind that these were hand-held and done when I have almost no experience of the Z9 and hadn't used the lens before. I've done very little editing. They're on the defaults in lightroom for sharpening (40 ish) (with no extra export sharpening).

With a tripod and more experience perhaps you can get a bit more detail but I don't consider these lacking but we all have different expectations.

400mm f2.8 1/1600s ISO 500

_DSC2899-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

100% crop:

_DSC2899.jpg

400mm f2.8 1/1600s ISO 280

_DSC3045.jpg

100% crop:

_DSC3045-2.jpg

Here's another example at 560mm using the internal TC. This one is slower shutter speed than above and ISO 1000 which will have removed a little detail too and I've not run it through any processing, just imported into lightroom with almost no editing.

560mm f4 1/800s ISO 1000

_DSC2949.jpg

100: crop:

_DSC2949-2.jpg

I thought it was odd that the Camera Lab test was all done using a Z7 (a fine camera and I have a Z7 ii that is my landscape camera). Z9 are still hard to come by I guess. I expect most people willing to pay for this lens plan on pairing it with a Z9. I can't see many times when I will use this lens to record video, so focus breathing isn't an issue. I have a Z TC 1.4 so am interested to see what image quality is like at 784 mm and f/5.6. So I'm waiting patiently to get mine delivered and form my own opinion. I lied about the patiently part.

I think when the 400 E FL was announced, there was a similar comparison against the 400 G version that was reported to be slightly better than the E version based on the testing by DXO mark. Maybe its something similar with the E vs Z versions too. I do not own the 400 E anymore but it is the best lens i have ever used (Have used Nikon 300 2.8G VRII, 500 F4G, 500 F4E, 600 F4E).

Yet LensScore awarded the 400 f2.8E FL VR one of the sharpest lenses ever tested by them. According to their testing it bested the 400 f2.8G VR:
However, as others have been saying, all the super tele lenses are all incredibly sharp.
I have the 400 f2.8E FL VR and it is idiotically sharp. I mean, here is a shot of a Nankeen Kestrel that I took on the D810 + 400 f2.8E FL VR + 2x TCIII. How sharp do you need it? :D

Best to click on the images to see at full res.

D810 + 400 f2.8E FL VR + 2x TCIII, 1/1600s f/8.0 at 800.0mm iso720.
Original
original.jpg

Cropped to how I wanted it
original.jpg

100% crop
original.jpg

Kookaburra
D810 + 400 f2.8E FL VR, 1/200s f/4.0 at 400.0mm iso45
original.jpg

100% crop
original.jpg

Totally agree with you Lance. I was following all your posts about the 400 2.8E before i purchased it. It's an amazing lens.

Yet LensScore awarded the 400 f2.8E FL VR one of the sharpest lenses ever tested by them. According to their testing it bested the 400 f2.8G VR:
However, as others have been saying, all the super tele lenses are all incredibly sharp.
I have the 400 f2.8E FL VR and it is idiotically sharp. I mean, here is a shot of a Nankeen Kestrel that I took on the D810 + 400 f2.8E FL VR + 2x TCIII. How sharp do you need it? :D

Original
original.jpg

original.jpg

100% crop
original.jpg

Kookaburra
original.jpg

100% crop
original.jpg

How does it switch in and out? Does the entire TC portion, physically move out of the path?

Yes. The switch is a physical lever that rotates the TC portion into a bulge at the side of the lens. It's very smooth and easy to use with a single finger. It's also positioned within easy reach for your right hand when in a shooting scenario (at least if you don't have an extra TC mounted - then it's a bit further out).

Reactions: Hut

Original
original.jpg

original.jpg

100% crop
original.jpg

Kookaburra
original.jpg

100% crop
original.jpg
They are really very sharp and amazing!

Original
original.jpg

original.jpg

100% crop
original.jpg

Kookaburra
original.jpg

100% crop
original.jpg
Geeze Lance, I think I cut my cornea looking at these! WOW!

Got my NPS notice today that mine has shipped! May take up to 10 days etc but I'll probably get it the end of next week or the beginning of the following week at worst.

Looking forward to it, should be fun!!
Congrats. Wish I could rationalize the cost. Amazing IQ from that lens. And so much more flexible with the TC.

Back