Camera Labs review of Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Depth of field DOF is controlled by distance and aperture and to a less extent COC.
If you take the same image at the same distance and aperture and crop the wider one to match the the DOF will be the same.
The confusion comes because most people will move closer for the wider lens to get the same framing...🦘

If I take a 24mm lens and a 600mm lens and photograph a small bird at f4 at 5 metres then I'm expecting very little DoF on the 600mm and about 2.5m to infinity on the 24mm. If I had a crazy sensor where I could crop in on the bird and keep all the detail on the 24mm lens then I'm not going to suddenly have tiny DoF in the resulting image just because I've cropped in.

As said above, a DoF calculator confirms this.

I compared the AF-S 400/2.8 E FL side by side with the Z 400/2.8 TC VR S. In really every matter the new Z version is better. Sometimes just a little bit and sometimes the differences is hugh.

IMG_8917-X2.jpg

I although did some converter test. I hade the chance to test 2 Z 1.4 and 2 Z 2.0 converters. They delivered totaly the some result in each typ. But it seems that I'm the only person how finds the results with 2x 1.4 better than just with the 2.0 TC. In the center there isn't really a difference but the fx corners are much better wiht 2x 1.4. And although the difference between the build in TC and an external 1.4 TC is marginal.

In short my result of the comparion.

Pros:
- Lighter
- More flexible because of the build-in TC
- Better backlight behavior
- 1-1 1/3 stop better VR
- faster and more accurate AF
- A little bit better image quality with TCs
- More or less completely silent

Neg:
- Price
- Delivery time
- Not compatible with DSLRs

Some example shots.

DSC_2637-X2.jpg

IMG_8975-X2.jpg

IMG_8923-X2.jpg

DSC_0682-X2.jpg

DSC_4534-X2.jpg

DSC_4968-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Some captures with 2x1.4 at 784 mm. One note you absolutly got the same angle of view with 2x 1.4 in comparison to 1x 2.0!

Just test shoots.

Z400_5.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

100% corp
Z400_4.jpg

DSC_3582 1.jpg

100%
DSC_3582 3.jpg

Full scene with 2x 1.4 These test shots were taken from a solid tripod and self-timer to avoid all camera shakes possible.
DSC_0549 1.jpg

100% 2x 1.4
DSC_0549 2.jpg

100% 2.0 TC
DSC_0553.jpg

Some captures with 2x1.4 at 784 mm. One note you absolutly got the same angle of view with 2x 1.4 in comparison to 1x 2.0!

Just test shoots.

View attachment 37353

100% corp
View attachment 37354

View attachment 37355

100%
View attachment 37356

Full scene with 2x 1.4 These test shots were taken from a solid tripod and self-timer to avoid all camera shakes possible.
View attachment 37357

100% 2x 1.4
View attachment 37358

100% 2.0 TC
View attachment 37359
Thank you so much for your review, I am still waiting for mine to ship. I ordered it in February. The images are absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing them with us.

I've just got back from back-to-back trips using this lens on a Z9. Almost entirely hide photography and I had 4 days in the field in Scotland and then 5 days shooting in Hungary. Not got any photos to share yet (they're still copying onto my pc) but I'll be sure to post some in the coming weeks as I edit. I'm really looking forward to seeing how I did as almost all of the hides went very well.

In almost all hides I used the lens as a 400/560 and in a bee-eater hide I was using it most at 560/784 with the external 1.4x. When bird behaviour meant I had a solid chance of flight shots or action then I would often drop back to 400 to avoid wing clipping and to just give myself a better chance and when I was after tighter portraits or behaviour that worked well with more reach then I used 560. It really enabled me to do that in a very low-effort way and with knowledge that I could very quickly flick the switch and be at the right length should something interesting happen.

400mm 2.8 was also very useful when we had an exciting large bird approach one forest hide where anything more would have been too much and the light was getting more problematic.

I can certainly recommend the lens. Not sure I can recommend 13 days of long hide/travel days in a row. I'm absolutely exhausted.

I've just got back from back-to-back trips using this lens on a Z9. Almost entirely hide photography and I had 4 days in the field in Scotland and then 5 days shooting in Hungary. Not got any photos to share yet (they're still copying onto my pc) but I'll be sure to post some in the coming weeks as I edit. I'm really looking forward to seeing how I did as almost all of the hides went very well.

In almost all hides I used the lens as a 400/560 and in a bee-eater hide I was using it most at 560/784 with the external 1.4x. When bird behaviour meant I had a solid chance of flight shots or action then I would often drop back to 400 to avoid wing clipping and to just give myself a better chance and when I was after tighter portraits or behaviour that worked well with more reach then I used 560. It really enabled me to do that in a very low-effort way and with knowledge that I could very quickly flick the switch and be at the right length should something interesting happen.

400mm 2.8 was also very useful when we had an exciting large bird approach one forest hide where anything more would have been too much and the light was getting more problematic.

I can certainly recommend the lens. Not sure I can recommend 13 days of long hide/travel days in a row. I'm absolutely exhausted.
Thank you for sharing with us your thought about the Z 400!

Here are some images taken with the 400mm TC using a Z9 last week in Hungary. I was using the 1.4x external TC with these bee-eaters a lot both with and without the internal TC engaged. I absolutely love these birds and they were top of my list to try and see and photograph during the trip. Luckily the timing worked out and I got some shots I was very happy with. If anyone is interested, the full set of edited European bee-eater photos from 2 mornings on the trip is up on my website at https://www.philwaring.co.uk/european-beeeaters

As I've said before, the lens is an absolute joy. I'm slowly working my way through the other photos from the trip and I'll post a few when I've made more progress. I also had the 100-400mm with me but the only time I used that was to try and get some shots of rollers landing and they were too close to fit the full wingspan in on the 400mm.

_DSC6624.jpg

_DSC4411.jpg

_DSC4728.jpg

_DSC6271.jpg

_DSC7849.jpg

Here are some images taken with the 400mm TC using a Z9 last week in Hungary. I was using the 1.4x external TC with these bee-eaters a lot both with and without the internal TC engaged. I absolutely love these birds and they were top of my list to try and see and photograph during the trip. Luckily the timing worked out and I got some shots I was very happy with. If anyone is interested, the full set of edited European bee-eater photos from 2 mornings on the trip is up on my website at https://www.philwaring.co.uk/european-beeeaters

As I've said before, the lens is an absolute joy. I'm slowly working my way through the other photos from the trip and I'll post a few when I've made more progress. I also had the 100-400mm with me but the only time I used that was to try and get some shots of rollers landing and they were too close to fit the full wingspan in on the 400mm.

View attachment 39919

View attachment 39920

View attachment 39921

View attachment 39922

View attachment 39923
Wow! The shots are really amazing and very sharp. I am so glad to see how sharp this lens is, and I can't wait to receive mine. How long it took for you to receive the lens since the day you ordered it? Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us, I love these colorful birds too

Wow! The shots are really amazing and very sharp. I am so glad to see how sharp this lens is, and I can't wait to receive mine. How long it took for you to receive the lens since the day you ordered it? Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us, I love these colorful birds too
Thanks! I pre-ordered it early in the morning on Jan 19th and got it at the start of March.

View attachment 39919

View attachment 39920

View attachment 39921

View attachment 39922

View attachment 39923
Fantastic shots, Phil!

Well in my opinion sharpness is totally overrated. Of course I although would like to get only tack sharp images but the reality is that often the situation doesn’t allow it. But I will post some 100% images even at high ISO. For me the light and composition is much more important than the last amount of sharpness. You don’t buy this lens because it is noticeable sharper. Maybe at 800 mm it is noticeable. You buy this lens because of the lighter weight, the better VR and than of course of the build-in TC. That is the game changer!

Well in my opinion sharpness is totally overrated. Of course I although would like to get only tack sharp images but the reality is that often the situation doesn’t allow it. But I will post some 100% images even at high ISO. For me the light and composition is much more important than the last amount of sharpness. You don’t buy this lens because it is noticeable sharper. Maybe at 800 mm it is noticeable. You buy this lens because of the lighter weight, the better VR and than of course of the build-in TC. That is the game changer!
Thank you! I fully understand your point. Shooting I got so used to Prime Lenses that I rarely use Zooms at all the bokeh and reduced force to compose correctly/creatively hinders me a lot. And Yes I am a bit "addicted" to sharpness/detail. Currently my "long gun" is a simple 150-600 Sigma Contemporary which is Cleary worse then the 70-200 regarding sharpness, partly with bokeh too. For me with photography as a hobby such a price for a lens is hard to justify but at the same time the SynchroVR with the 70-200 is so damn good with the Z9 that I might be disappointed if I got the route of an used 400 2.8 FL VR to save some money..

Ok, so here some pictures and the 100% crops.

DSC_7805.jpg

DSC_7805 1.jpg

DSC_7933.jpg

DSC_7933 1.jpg

DSC_8337 3.jpg

DSC_8337.jpg

DSC_0764 1.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

And a second set.

DSC_2597.jpg

DSC_2597.jpg

DSC_6900 2.jpg

DSC_6900.jpg

DSC_4528 2.jpg

DSC_4528.jpg

Hope that helps.

I'm patiently waiting for this lens. I like the fact of the built in Teleconverter...... and the 2.8 ain't bad either! Please correct me if I'm wrong but you could potentially put the camera in DX mode and have a 600mm 2.8 , if you were so inclined?

I'm patiently waiting for this lens. I like the fact of the built in Teleconverter...... and the 2.8 ain't bad either! Please correct me if I'm wrong but you could potentially put the camera in DX mode and have a 600mm 2.8 , if you were so inclined?
DX mode will give more reach if really needed.
You can also add another teleconverter if you need more reach.
I like the idea that the TC doesn't just add to the end of the lens and integrates within the elements... 🦘

View attachment 39919

View attachment 39920

View attachment 39921

View attachment 39922

View attachment 39923

Wow, I just took a look at your website. Next level amazing work. Landscapes, wildlife, the lot.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but you could potentially put the camera in DX mode and have a 600mm 2.8 , if you were so inclined?

No, it's still a 400/2.8, but you get the image impression of 600/4. Many people forget to convert the aperture equivalently as well. I would also never use the DX mode, but make the section later on the computer, so you are much freer in the choice of the section. In addition, the quality with the integrated TC is better than a crop.

Reactions: Roy
Back