Canon R1 : Development Announcement

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It's just how they've always done it, even in the dslr era. The 5dsr was 50 megapixels back when that was a lot of megapixels and sold for only 4k, while the 20 megapixel dslr flagship sold for $6500. Now the "5" is the 45 megapixel R5. I'm sure they sold a bunch of those 20 megapixel cameras at $6500 because they were in no hurry to release the mirrorless version. I'm a happy R5 owner and will look with interest what they will do with the mark ii, but I'm in no particular hurry to switch. Those that want more than 24mp like me should, you know, not buy the R1.

Latest CR spec list.....
  • 24mp CMOS BSI Stacked Sensor
  • Readout of about 2ms (Claimed)
  • Quad Pixel Autofocus
  • Intelligent AF tracking, it can track a specific target and ignore everything else.
  • 16-bit Mechanical Shutter
  • 14-bit Electronic Shutter
  • 6K RAW at 120fps
  • Dual CFexpress Type B Card Slots
  • Compatible with CFexpress 4.0 Standard
  • USB-4 Port
  • Full Size HDMI Port
  • Eye Control AF II
  • $6499 USD (though this isn't locked in as of yet)
Also this list of design differences spotted between R3 and R1...

• There is a normal 3-axis flippy screen
  • There is a new M-Fn3 button on the top left (below the menu button)
  • There are four playback buttons below the display: playback, magnifying glass, dustbin, rating button
  • There is a LAN indicator light
  • There is also this interesting window beside the LAN light. We won't even guess as to what it is.
  • The INFO button now is built into the vertical grip as well.
  • The Viewfinder is a lot bigger than the EOS R3. The EOS R3 EVF is 5,760,000, the EVF on the EOS R1 looks like it could get has high as 10,000,000 dots.
  • The Joysticks and AF Smart Control are included, as we already know.
  • The multi-shoe has a locking cap.
  • The memory card door has a lock.
  • The EOS R1 is far bigger than the EOS R3.
  • A mounting lug on the bottom of the camera for a wrist strap.
  • Battery Percentage on the top LCD, not just the bars we have seen on other Canon cameras.
  • The top button layout is the same as on the R3, with an added White Balance Button
  • On the top are also two new symbols near the M-Fn button and the LCD-light button in a blueish colour: according to Tony Northrup the gas-station-like Symbol is the FTP-Symbol which indicates a dedicated button for wireless transmission. The other one shows a crop-symbol which might be a sign for a integrated teleconverter
  • The ON-OFF switch on the side, is for controlling the vertical grip functions and was used on previous 1D-series Cameras, but is not built into the EOS R3.
  • The card slot seems just a little bigger than on the R3 to fit Dual CFexpress Type B cards.
  • The bottom shows us an HDMI logo, so it features full HDMI.
  • A diopter control is also built into the viewfinder.
  • The mode-switch is the same as on the EOS R3 and EOS R5.
  • Overall is the camera bigger, but especially thicker than the EOS R3, that also improves the ergonomics.
  • The battery voltage seems to show 15v, which will probably mean faster charging for the new battery. We'd be surprised if it wasn't the same form factor as the LP-E19.

Latest CR spec list.....
  • Quad Pixel Autofocus
  • Intelligent AF tracking, it can track a specific target and ignore everything else.
  • 6K RAW at 120fps
  • USB-4 Port
  • Full Size HDMI Port
  • Eye Control AF II

• There are four playback buttons below the display: playback, magnifying glass, dustbin, rating button
  • There is also this interesting window beside the LAN light. We won't even guess as to what it is.
  • The Viewfinder is a lot bigger than the EOS R3. The EOS R3 EVF is 5,760,000, the EVF on the EOS R1 looks like it could get has high as 10,000,000 dots.
  • Battery Percentage on the top LCD, not just the bars we have seen on other Canon cameras.
  • The top button layout is the same as on the R3, with an added White Balance Button
  • On the top are also two new symbols near the M-Fn button and the LCD-light button in a blueish colour: according to Tony Northrup the gas-station-like Symbol is the FTP-Symbol which indicates a dedicated button for wireless transmission. The other one shows a crop-symbol which might be a sign for a integrated teleconverter
  • The ON-OFF switch on the side, is for controlling the vertical grip functions and was used on previous 1D-series Cameras, but is not built into the EOS R3.
  • The card slot seems just a little bigger than on the R3 to fit Dual CFexpress Type B cards.
  • Overall is the camera bigger, but especially thicker than the EOS R3, that also improves the ergonomics.
  • The battery voltage seems to show 15v, which will probably mean faster charging for the new battery. We'd be surprised if it wasn't the same form factor as the LP-E19.

Those are some juicy video specs, and thicker/denser body means they might be addressing the overheating issue. Canon is due to update the C70, and this might be the chassis.

People sold prints when 12 MP were the norm just fine, didn't they? Hell, people sold prints back when film was the norm just fine.

Just on thing, Canon, I assume, knows its target markets.

Do they? They've made huge marketing mistakes with their pro level cameras in the past. They know their consumers and prosumers, but there've been many periods where they lagged behind in the pro markets.

People sold prints when 12 MP were the norm just fine, didn't they? Hell, people sold prints back when film was the norm just fine.

Just on thing, Canon, I assume, knows its target markets. And from what I can tell, BCG forum folks aren't it. Which just might be perfectly fine fine for Canon, and their target market.

Edit: That is, if, and we don't know, the R1 really only has 24 MP.
Well yeah, but I should been more clear. 12MP is good for prints around 12x18 or maybe 16x24. But i! Sell prints up to 40x60, sometimes larger and prefer around 20mp for them

FWIW, CR confirmed on their own forums that the 30% increase in read speed is a VIDEO spec. He hasn't seen a trustworthy source of what the stills read speed is. Maybe it is 30% also but for now the 30% faster than the R3 is only for VIDEO

Latest CR spec list.....
  • Quad Pixel Autofocus
  • 6K RAW at 120fps
  • USB-4 Port
  • Full Size HDMI Port
  • Eye Control AF II

That's a long list of little details, and I'm sure many will appreciate them. Will it be enough to get people to upgrade from the R3? Who knows. This is looking like it's basically targeted to that same market as an R3mII of sorts. Everyone seems to be happy with the R3 and its size and ergos, so we'll see I guess.

What about everyone else, though? At the end of the day, we've got two 24MP sports cameras from Canon that are super fast, and we've got a third-tier R5 body that doesn't have the same features, weather sealing, body durability, technology, ergos, battery life, card slots, heat dissipation, speed, customization, etc. etc. etc. I just don't understand the strategy, personally. They've pushed the bulk of their chips into one genre. But if it pays Canon's bills and they feel this is the best way forward for them, then I'm glad we have other options for the non-sports shooters.

The body design does look very nice, and Canon does a great job with the ergos, for sure. This is what always tempts me to spend money with them, frankly, but I have regretted it both times I've invested with them because they just don't take the wildlife genre seriously anymore.

Last edited:
Do they? They've made huge marketing mistakes with their pro level cameras in the past. They know their consumers and prosumers, but there've been many periods where they lagged behind in the pro markets.
I agree. We see many retorts from people excusing all of Canon's decisions as 4D chess but they make a lot of mistakes. The speed with which Sony came in and snatched up as much market share as they did was truly impressive, and much of that can be attributed to poor decision making from both Nikon and Canon. I think Canon's gotten very sloppy with the mirrorless strategy and execution, as well. Hopefully they get things back on track here this year because we need the pressure and competition within the industry.

I agree. We see many retorts from people excusing all of Canon's decisions as 4D chess but they make a lot of mistakes. The speed with which Sony came in and snatched up as much market share as they did was truly impressive, and much of that can be attributed to poor decision making from both Nikon and Canon. I think Canon's gotten very sloppy with the mirrorless strategy and execution, as well. Hopefully they get things back on track here this year because we need the pressure and competition within the industry.
Even more so in video, which at this level was owned by Canon. While technically okay, their under-10k offering was beaten to pulp by Sony, which is now dominant. And by the time they'll have a new C70, C200 and C300, Sony will have a new FX4, FX6ii, FX9ii and maybe FX40.

Latest CR spec list.....
  • Quad Pixel Autofocus
  • 6K RAW at 120fps
  • USB-4 Port
  • Full Size HDMI Port
  • Eye Control AF II

That looks like a very nice camera, deserving of an R3ii !!

Last edited:
Back