Canon R1 : Development Announcement

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The R3 might only be a one and done camera. I would not bet money on a R3 Mk2 going forward. Pure speculation on my part, but in the past Canon did release a EOS-3 camera, but it was never refreshed.

The R3 might only be a one and done camera. I would not bet money on a R3 Mk2 going forward. Pure speculation on my part, but in the past Canon did release a EOS-3 camera, but it was never refreshed.
If the 30MP rumors are true, then I agree with you on this. It would also confirm, to me at least, that either Canon a) meant for the original R3 to be the first iteration of the R1, or b) Canon was trying to make a "jack-of-all-trades" R1 with a higher MP count, but couldn't get it done, so they are consolidating the two lines. We'll see. I don't think there's a world in which Canon planned for there to be two sports cameras at the top of their line in an R3 and R1, if the 30MP is true. Those cameras are simply just too close to each other.

I personally didn't have any issue with the Z9 at launch (i got mine in 2nd shipment Jan 13tg '22). I was able to get 85% or better hit rate on small fast birds from about a month after shooting it. The improvements from firmware updates were significant and FW 4.10 introducing the Bird SD was next level. In many ways surpassing Sony and Canon. With the Bird SD, my bif got treasure is easily in the 90-95% rate.

Nikon with the Z9 is far from a disappointment. In fact if you got a body from Sony or Canon, you'd not have gotten those FW updates and would have had to buy a new body to get the improvements and new features and they were free. If i recall Sony charged people to have the grids added via firmware, GRIDS?
Currently the Z9 Z8 units are doing a great job, i have had Z9 since day one, sold it recently, currently i am parked with the lighter smaller unobtrusive Z8, well for now.

The Nikon Z9 Z8 have clearly reached their destination, it was the bad experiences on what was a long journey for some of us that was just unwarranted.
For most that had no issues that's awesome and no issues is the way it should be.

To day the world is Rosie and all is good.......................... and the past is forgotten................. as usual till next time.

Only an opinion

That's what i mean when i call the Z8 an interim model, its an anchor and transition point for a Z9 II or Z9 S Z6III Z7III which will be smaller light more powerful.

Then the upscale versions of the Z6III, Z7III will be slotted in with more of the Z8 and ZF features, i think it will be ZF, Z6III, Z7III, Z9II, then many of the the parked Z8 owners will buy the newer Z9 II or Z7III, hello does than mean more sales ?

Nikon has in the ZF a new 3 stops better IBIS than whats in the Z8 Z9, so i am led to believe, the ZF also has 2 stops more for lower light focus, this maybe standard in most forth coming models.

Your Canon speculation may be well founded.

Only an opinion

If the 30MP rumors are true, then I agree with you on this. It would also confirm, to me at least, that either Canon a) meant for the original R3 to be the first iteration of the R1, or b) Canon was trying to make a "jack-of-all-trades" R1 with a higher MP count, but couldn't get it done, so they are consolidating the two lines. We'll see. I don't think there's a world in which Canon planned for there to be two sports cameras at the top of their line in an R3 and R1, if the 30MP is true. Those cameras are simply just too close to each other.
Good point.
Same with the Z8 Z9, there to close.

I feel for a quantum jump forward in resolution, power, rolling shutter, AI, some things need to align and maybe its not all there yet, i know Cards cause a lot of heat issues maybe the pressure is on those cards advancing in heat handling in order for cameras to boost output and down size at the same time.

Also the connectivity issue may still need to be refined.

(Don't hold me to it) but i remember the CEO of Canon a long time ago saying something like Connectivity and video is the way forward, we need to emulate some of the features of the modern phones.

Smart phones are the road map for the future, and even they have temporally stalled or are they waiting for the next generation cool revolution in technology.

Only an opinion

I seen to remember Canon saying specifically the R3 was not a 1 and done camera and that a mkII was coming. This is why i feel the R1 will be 45mp stacked and the R5mkII will not be stacked. They will need to differentiate the R1 and the R5mkII somehow IL if they are both 45mp

Last edited:
OPPS yes i see what you referring to i have revamped it, sorry i type to fast sometimes.

REVAMPED
Nikon gave us serious grief for so long in the way they brought out the Z9 in a disastrous way over a long painful period along with some serious QC issues, something that was a nightmare and hard to forget, many of us paid a huge price not just in $, some QC issues even flowed over into the Z8. Finally they seemed to get the Z9 doing more as claimed but gee it took long enough, Totally inexcusable, maybe not if your a copier of other peoples R and D and not necessarily a creator of your own R and D to save money.

Only an opinion
I received my Z9 in the first shipment 23rd Dec 2021 - using the single point focus was brilliant from the beginning and there has been a lot of improvement with the firmware upgrades to the other focussing modes.

Where does the R1 fit and what will it be is becoming very interesting.

Canon i think is a little more careful in making certain their new product models on launch that things are a somewhat refined and working more as expected.

Some interesting reading or in cases some balanced validation, a map that one could if you wish fill in the gaps, https://photographylife.com/best-mirrorless-camera

Is it more new camera models seem to be developing subtle niche differences to set them selves apart more, or is it just different timing, who knows ?

The R3 has a very powerful spot and is specialized, the R5 higher resolution model is strong and has its position and is very popular with Canon Pros i am told, the R3 R5 series it reminds me of the D3X D4S combo, or D810 D5 combo.

The A9 III is a very powerful unique specialized tool with great speed and power also using a global shutter so it should partner up well with the A1 II i guess, will the A1 II be a higher resolution camera with more powerful IBIS as Fuji and Nikon is moving into that direction ????

So what position will the R1 be given, the Z9 3 1/2 years old, A1 in its 4th year, Z8 reached its 1st birthday, all 3 are up on the podium in the link above.

The R1 will need to step ahead of the the top tier units one would expect.

Two things are for certain, change is inevitable, and we are in exciting times looking forward.

If we could advance our photography as much as technology is advancing the tools it could make things interesting i guess that's the reason for Ai ???.

Only an opinion

Canons R1, Sony's A9III, Nikon's Z9, Fuji MF, whatever is dependent yet threatened by new technology for growth and survival.

New technology challenges flagship mirror less camera manufacturers in any brand due to the pace of which new technology evolves.

New technology is costly and timely to create, some create it, some buy it, others copy it.

New technology creates new experiences and opportunity's, equally it can create collateral damage in many cases, we seem to accept this as change.

New technology often defines what we do or can become.

Its not the rich, powerful or influential that always survive with change, its the adaptable.

We live in a world full of digital cocaine, a abstract term of addiction or dependency, living without it seems for many almost a impossible challenge.

The simple presentation on the following link from B and H especially the final outcome at the end speaks volumes, be it what it will, its a sign of the new generation and new direction and great challenges yet equally exciting as well as what challenges lay ahead, in this case for camera manufactures or even actual photography as we have known it.

Only an opinion

So the 30MP rumors and Adorama slip up were accurate for the R1. Canon Rumors just confirmed it’ll actually be a little less than 30MP in the comments over there when talking about the R5ii. Canon sensor tech just isn’t there yet.

So the 30MP rumors and Adorama slip up were accurate for the R1. Canon Rumors just confirmed it’ll actually be a little less than 30MP in the comments over there when talking about the R5ii. Canon sensor tech just isn’t there yet.
The rumour also said the readout speed was 1/1250 sec. At that speed, global shutter is to most intents and purposes moot. And DR is not sacrificed. And quad pixel AF is probably there. Together with some advances in AI and data through-put. 30mp is fine for that style of camera. It's a higher rez, higher DR, better AF A9iii. And the 5/iii takes care of the rest. Never underestimate Canon! (from a Nikon shooter).

The rumour also said the readout speed was 1/1250 sec. At that speed, global shutter is to most intents and purposes moot. And DR is not sacrificed. And quad pixel AF is probably there. Together with some advances in AI and data through-put. 30mp is fine for that style of camera. It's a higher rez, higher DR, better AF A9iii. And the 5/iii takes care of the rest. Never underestimate Canon! (from a Nikon shooter).
A lot of assumptions based on what's still nothing but rumor and conjecture. Like normal, people run with rumors and often times the real thing is quite different.

Just look at the insanity of the last 2 years of the cabin R1 rumors of things like an 86MP sensor and it's going to be a 3 generation leap in tech LoL. In reality it looks nothing more than an R3 mkII but still fine know.

The R5 mkII is all over the place with rumors

I'm really curious how different these cameras will actually be when they finally come out

A lot of assumptions based on what's still nothing but rumor and conjecture. Like normal, people run with rumors and often times the real thing is quite different.

Just look at the insanity of the last 2 years of the cabin R1 rumors of things like an 86MP sensor and it's going to be a 3 generation leap in tech LoL. In reality it looks nothing more than an R3 mkII but still fine know.

The R5 mkII is all over the place with rumors

I'm really curious how different these cameras will actually be when they finally come out
We’re getting pretty close to launch now and it’s no doubt in the hands of shooters. Canon Rumors is usually a lot more accurate the closer we get, and he’s been pretty adamant about the MPs being 30-ish. This is the first time he actually updated his comment to “less than 30MP” and started to defend that statement as if he’s trying to get some early PR going for them in rebuttal. You’re right that it’s been all over the place but we’re weeks away now. The R3 development announcement was about 6 weeks before the actual release and it was a similar rollout strategy for the Olympics.

That is hardly confirmation. More like conjecture based on rumors. Plus, assuming ir is less than 30 it's not that their sensor tech is lacking, just a choice they always make to keep the flagship camera low resolution.

Tony comments on some of the R1's buttons…

He also has a few things to say about the R5 mk.ii.
In summary…
  • faster readout speed (negligible rolling shutter effect);
  • more frames per second (30 frames/second; raw).

Last edited:
I can't stand TN these days. But I did watch that video and at least got one useful piece of information out of it.

Tony discussed the mysterious symbol that shares the Mf-n button and a comment on his short video discussing this icon a viewer pointed out this is a Canon symbol for FTP.
Why was this interesting? Well there is another light blue symbol sharing the Illumination button (actually a new button not on the R3) and that is a crop icon. It was speculated on another forum that this was an aspect ratio button like toggling DX to FX. People thought this could indicate a higher MP sensor than rumoured.

But what I think is going on is the FTP and Crop mode are playback functions designed for the tight deadlines of sports and journalist photogs. A user on FM pointed this out as the R3 has this function on a back button that is hard to reach with one hand. So he pointed out it is a common workflow for the pros to shoot a burst, and quickly select the best, crop and send via FTP. This all makes sense with the icons being light blue (typically blue is the playback menu on Canon and Sony) and this is why they can share a button with functions used during actual shooting (MF-n and illumination).

So unfortunately for those hoping for higher than 30MP....this crop button icon doesn't mean anything...one way or the other.

I am just conjecturing, but the way raw burst/precapture on the other canon cameras works is that it makes one huge file from which the desired raw images are extracted. I'm wondering if the aforementioned button might be a shortcut to selecting and extracting those raws from the burst. Otherwise one has to go into DPP4, as lightroom can't do it.

Also Canon Rumors repeating it will be 24 MP, so maybe it is true?

Back