Canon R5 II Rumored Specs

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

All it needs is to have that 45MP stacked sensor with the pre-burst improvements (hopefully to just save RAWs and no special container file) and stay at R5 pricing and it will be a winner.

I see CR updated the "growing buzz" article from when I read it this morning and now say no announcement next week.

The only certainty in all of this is when they do announce the final specs and product availability, half of the internet whiners will be saying too little, too late, it is the end of Canon, they are going out of business, Canon shocked the industry with such a bad camera, blah blah blah. It matters not the brand or even the industry, there are far too many people who get their jollies and personal gratification bashing a brand or a product and troll for comments. The fanboy wars are quite tiring.

As a primary Canon shooter, (and still have Nikon gear and Sony gear) I hope it is a good camera body. I hope people will accept it (and whatever Nikon will launch as a Z6iii or Z7iii or whatever other brand) will just accept it for what it is and move on.

Jeff

This is just a rumor site. Nothing has been announced. Sounds like they know but can't say. They seem confident the price will be $3999 which is only $100 more than the R5 at launch.

They do consider it a professional body, whether others do depends on the meaning of the word I guess. Quote from Canon:

Professional build quality
The EOS R5 is constructed around a magnesium alloy body that’s built to withstand the rigours of professional use. Protective sealing guards against dust and moisture and lets you keep shooting with confidence no matter what the weather throws at you.

This was on lens rentals when the r5 first came out.

Come on, handpicking a feature here and there and ignoring all of the other class features of a flagship is silly. One could rattle off a TON of features that are built into the 1 series that the 5 series won't have. The list would be too long and it's why the R5 is priced under $4k. If a sub $4k camera is Canon's answer to the competitor's flagships, they have a problem.

It seems like a nice body but I wonder why they can't put this in a professional body like the R1 and R3?
Glad to hear from Bill's post that Lensrentals liked the Canon R5 weather sealing.

Strangely, from my understanding at this point, if the R5 II came with an integrated grip, professional style body, such a camera would be easier for Canon to differentiate from the R1, than the R3. :) I expect the price would be R1/R3 like.

I've seen some questions about a grip, is there one for the R5 II, does it include a cooling capability, etc.?

I would not seek out a larger heavier grip built in. I'm careful about what I include for trail walking and like the more compact full frame bodies. I hope for precapture and real time blinkies, 14 bit with the electronic shutter rather than the current 12 bit, zero rolling shutter in electronic shutter however they achieve it, and/or more raw fps from the 14 bit mechanical or first curtain.

Glad to hear from Bill's post that Lensrentals liked the Canon R5 weather sealing.

Strangely, from my understanding at this point, if the R5 II came with an integrated grip, professional style body, such a camera would be easier for Canon to differentiate from the R1, than the R3. :) I expect the price would be R1/R3 like.
The best course would have been to give the R1 these features.

Seems like more disappointment in Canon land. It doesn't sound like they've recovered from the unexpected Z9/A1 releases. Having to shelve their R1 and call it an R3 made the rest of the lineup wonky.

I expect the R1 will not be very popular outside of sports and photojournalism, and the R5II will be a great "budget" body. That still leaves a gap in the flagship high MP arena.

Personally I prefer the separate grip the way Canon does it with the R5. That way one could use it when the two batteries and the extra controls are needed, or save the space and weight if not needed. I would find an integrated grip a negative for my needs.

I don't know if I would find the eye-control useful, haven't tried it on the R3. Might take some getting used to for it to focus where I look, but if there is a button to hold,look,release it might be cool. Just conjecturing as I have no idea how it will work.

Personally I prefer the separate grip the way Canon does it with the R5. That way one could use it when the two batteries and the extra controls are needed, or save the space and weight if not needed. I would find an integrated grip a negative for my needs.
Unfortunately with Canon, they prefer the built-in grips for their high-end bodies, though. So if you want the best camera with all the bells and whistles in a smaller form factor, Sony is the only one catering to that crowd.

I want both. When I shot Canon, I had a 1DX and a 7DII. The battery grip pretty much stays on my A1 all the time and if Sony offered a body like the Z9 or R3, I'd buy it.

Nikon is the only one offering a true Pro Flagship body with a high res sensor (45MP or higher) Sony offers the capabilities in a small non pro body.

Canon seems to be stuck in a wasteland in between Nikon and Sony. The R3/R1 seem to be the same pro body, in reality an R3 and R3 II if you will where the R1 is just the next evolution of the R3.

I still feel Canon panicked and renamed the R1 the R3 last minute and created their own problems. If they planned to keep the R3 after the R1 release. I feel the better lineup would have been the R3 with the integrated grip and 45MP and a higher end feature set than the R5. The R5 exactly where it is, 45MP with a lower feature set than either the R3 or R1 and the R1 exactly how the rumors are trending. The Full Monty feature set 24MP Pro Flagship for the pro sports and photojournalism guys .

I think Canon or themselves in a odd quagmire with the R1 and R3 both at 24mp, especially so if they plan to have an R3 mkII. I think the only way that works is if they move the R3 mkII to 45MP

I don't know if I would find the eye-control useful, haven't tried it on the R3. Might take some getting used to for it to focus where I look, but if there is a button to hold,look,release it might be cool. Just conjecturing as I have no idea how it will work.
I used it on the R3 and it wasn't very useful for the kind of shooting that I do, namely WL/birds. It does have some applications, though it's more of a not ready for prime time feature. Had Canon given still photographers real time zebras, it would have been infinitely more useful. What I find interesting is the banter about Canon's strategy as though this is a race with the rules or pace being determined by Nikon and Sony. That couldn't be farther from Canon's perspective and their "flagships" have historically been lower MP. I see the R1 as competing more against the A9iii and Z9 for sports, photojournalists, and other professional applications, while the R5mkII will undoubtedly target the more creative professionals including artists, landscape, WL, etc. Both are likely to be capable cameras which will hold their own and provide great images. Will I choose any of them? No, because for me the deficiencies are more in the lens offerings for the kinds of images I like to shoot.

It is really unfortunate in some respects that Nikon chose the Z mount which cannot be fitted to the chief competitor's bodies. If I had my druthers, it would probably be the mid-class Z telephotos mated to a Sony A1.

They're talking about eye focus control and other nonsense instead of whether it is a stacked sensor, zebras for stills, RAW pre-capture, etc.

The rumored specs did say it would be 45MP BSI stacked sensor supposedly 30% better than R3 for rolling shutter.

Back