Canon R5ii & R1 : Orders being taken.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

... will the R1 attract pro/advanced wildlife photographers?

In Pangolin’s video (post #1), Janine seemed less than enthusiastic, but Guts was contemplating retiring his supersized DSLR in favour of an R1.
There's not enough in the R1 to entice me. It has some handy features but 24MP won't do when the other two major brands have double the MP, and the R1's size is exactly not what I'd be interested in; compared with z8 or a1 it might as well be as supersized as a DSLR. IMHO its target users aren't wildlife photographers, at least not this wildlife photographer.

Is there a link which suggests that pre-capture is RAW vs. .jpg? Nothing in Canon’s release information or other reviews seems to provide a definitive answer.
All the reviews I've watched now say it is in RAW...I've even seen the menu showing it in one of the videos. This is for both R1 and R5II. Fro talks about it, Jan talks about it, Gordon at Cameralabs talks about it, Petapixel talks about it.
I was confused this morning when I saw DPReview article list jpeg only in a spec list but they didn't actually write about it in the article itself.
It is for sure RAW and doesn't use the stupid zip file anymore. Big win for these cameras in a sea of losses.
Downside is it is a fixed 0.5s with no adjustability to that duration.

I will say if you guys haven't watched Fro's R1 video you should watch the section showing the new Sports modes for Volleyball, Basketball and Soccer. He tested the Basketball setting and OMG...that is some amazing AF where it automatically goes to the face/eye of which ever player has the ball. I was really impressed with that. Fro says the camera was finding the player with the ball before his brain had figured it out. If I was shooting one of those sports for a living which involves a mess of players all over the place, this one feature alone would have me looking at an R1 regardless of which system I was already shooting.

I will say if you guys haven't watched Fro's R1 video you should watch the section showing the new Sports modes for Volleyball, Basketball and Soccer. He tested the Basketball setting and OMG...that is some amazing AF where it automatically goes to the face/eye of which ever player has the ball. I was really impressed with that. Fro says the camera was finding the player with the ball before his brain had figured it out. If I was shooting one of those sports for a living which involves a mess of players all over the place, this one feature alone would have me looking at an R1 regardless of which system I was already shooting.
From everything I've seen, the R1 is now a pure pro sports body.

I'd love to see a review by Steve of the AF performance of A1 vs Z9 vs R1 for fast moving subjects like sport or birds. Being a Nikon shooter for a long time, I've always wondered what it was like on the Canon side of the fence. A mate of mine from the UK told me that at one stage Canon went to many Nikon sports shooters in UK and bought all their Nikon gear for a price high enough that they could do a like for like replacement of Canon gear.

Back