Can't Edit Nikon Z8 Raw in Photoshop Elements 2020 Camera Raw

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

That may not be good enough but there is a way. I’m looking for the exact instructions. I did it for the Z9. You find the camera raw file and put it in the PSE folder for camera raw. I’ll keep looking. Windows or Mac.

If the camera is not supported yet you can use the free Adobe dng converter, or open the file using the free Nikon NX Studio and save a tiff file for use in PSE. Or go with the subscription Lightroom/photoshop photography plan.

You can find the instructions documented at this website. This is what I did to get my Z9 files read in PSE before I switched over to the 9.99 Photography plan.
Honestly I recommend you consider that not for Photoshop but because LRc is so powerful now once you learn it you will want to use it. You can always save a jpg back for use with other effects in PSE.

This might help. It looks like Photoshop Elements 2023 supports camera raw 14.4. Looks like you need 15.3, for the z8, so I don't think it will work yet. You could try Adobe support to make sure. Would be a good time to try Lightroom and the Adobe photography plan, $9.99 per month.

Bill what I just posted works for PSE updating Camara Raw to the latest. It used to be on Adobe's website as well but I am not finding it today.

Thank's. Their compatibility list states the Z8 Camera Raw is "Planned". Trying to contact their support for a time frame.

If it is the list I posted, what is planned is the camera matching profiles. That won't help because you need to run a certain version of the camera raw plugin.

As a reference post:
If you haven't been able to update the Camera Raw plug-in for Elements, follow these steps:

1. Download and install the latest Camera Raw version from Camera Raw plug-in installer.
  2. Quit all Adobe applications.

• On macOS, double-click the .dmg file to mount it.
  • On Windows double-click the downloaded .zip file to unzip it. (Windows might unzip the file for you.)

• On macOS, double-click the .pkg file to start the installer.
    • On Windows, double-click the resulting .exe file to start the installer.
  1. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  2. Once installed successfully, close the installer window.
  3. Navigate to the following folder:
    • On macOS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CC/File Formats
    • On Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats
  4. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in from the CC > File Formats folder that is mentioned in the above step.
  5. Navigate to the following folder:
    • On macOS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/Elements<Version Number>/File Formats
    • On Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements<Version Number>\File Formats
  6. Replace the existing Camera Raw plugin in Elements<Version Number>folder with the plug-in that you copied in step 8.
Hopefully this will help everyone :)

I'm glad you found it. They talked about it here also:

If it is the list I posted, what is planned is the camera matching profiles. That won't help because you need to run a certain version of the camera raw plugin.
Spent 30 mins on chat with PSE support. Very frustrating. They said Camera Raw IS compatible with the Z8. Sent me a link to the plug in. Same one I had. Doesn't work. Oh, well.

As a reference post:
If you haven't been able to update the Camera Raw plug-in for Elements, follow these steps:

1. Download and install the latest Camera Raw version from Camera Raw plug-in installer.
  2. Quit all Adobe applications.

• On macOS, double-click the .dmg file to mount it.
  • On Windows double-click the downloaded .zip file to unzip it. (Windows might unzip the file for you.)

• On macOS, double-click the .pkg file to start the installer.
    • On Windows, double-click the resulting .exe file to start the installer.
  1. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  2. Once installed successfully, close the installer window.
  3. Navigate to the following folder:
    • On macOS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CC/File Formats
    • On Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats
  4. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in from the CC > File Formats folder that is mentioned in the above step.
  5. Navigate to the following folder:
    • On macOS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/Elements<Version Number>/File Formats
    • On Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements<Version Number>\File Formats
  6. Replace the existing Camera Raw plugin in Elements<Version Number>folder with the plug-in that you copied in step 8.
Hopefully this will help everyone :)
I've tried this and unfortunately it doesn't work either. I do appreciate your efforts. You can actually download the camera raw plug in directly from PSE and I also did that and it still doesn't work. I contacted Adobe and they have said that they are working on the resolution and cannot give me a time frame. I will try the Nikon NX Studio but I really prefer my workflow with PSE and Camera Raw.

I've tried this and unfortunately it doesn't work either. I do appreciate your efforts. You can actually download the camera raw plug in directly from PSE and I also did that and it still doesn't work. I contacted Adobe and they have said that they are working on the resolution and cannot give me a time frame. I will try the Nikon NX Studio but I really prefer my workflow with PSE and Camera Raw.
Downloading directly won’t work for sure. They limit the version. Are you sure you copied and pasted correctly? I only ask as I did this with PSE 2021 numerous times. It could be that 2020 no longer supports this type of ACR. I would think 2023 should though if you upgraded as you mentioned. Sorry for your troubles.

My Z8 is on order (have not received it yet). I use Photoshop Elements 2022, which I bought at the beginning of 2022 after I bought a Sony A7IV and my older version of Elements (2020?) would not read its RAW files. I have a feeling PSE 2022 will not read my new Z8 files. However I now have DxO Pure Raw 2 which I assume will read Z8 RAW? (I will find out when I get it).

Up until now I have only been running a few files through DxO that I want to extensively edit. When I get my Z8 I suppose I could start using DxO on all of them, but that is time consuming (the program is slow). I don't want to pay the monthly subscription for Lightroom, but now may be the time to start. Or I could just buy the newest version of Elements. Past versions (Incuding my current 2022) I have usually found on sale for $69, so it's not a huge investment to update. At worst, Adobe will let me update from my current version for $79 (instead of the list price of $99).

My Z8 is on order (have not received it yet). I use Photoshop Elements 2022, which I bought at the beginning of 2022 after I bought a Sony A7IV and my older version of Elements (2020?) would not read its RAW files. I have a feeling PSE 2022 will not read my new Z8 files. However I now have DxO Pure Raw 2 which I assume will read Z8 RAW? (I will find out when I get it).

Up until now I have only been running a few files through DxO that I want to extensively edit. When I get my Z8 I suppose I could start using DxO on all of them, but that is time consuming (the program is slow). I don't want to pay the monthly subscription for Lightroom, but now may be the time to start. Or I could just buy the newest version of Elements. Past versions (Incuding my current 2022) I have usually found on sale for $69, so it's not a huge investment to update. At worst, Adobe will let me update from my current version for $79 (instead of the list price of $99).
I also upgraded to PSE 2023. No luck.

Back