Cataract Surgery Implants and Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Can you expand on getting prescription readers for intermediate distance? After my surgery, I find that there is sometimes to be a gap between my 20/20 distance vision and my near with reading glasses, a sort of slightly out-of-focus.
My prescription called for +2.50 as an ADD for bifocals. With that add, the bifocal part focuses too close for use in the car. The instrument panel was a bit blurry with either upper and lower parts of my glasses. I could drive and make out the information reasonably well, but I was not comfortable with it.

So I got new glasses with +1.50 add instead, and they focus perfectly for the intermediate distance.

I wasn't able to get bifocals in sunglasses and had to opt for progressives. But that worked out well.

With these glasses I don't have to move my head when looking straight ahead to see the road (thru the upper part) and the instrument panel (lower part). I DO have to turn my head and raise it slightly to see sharply the audio/nav panel. It is the screen that sits in the center of the dash.

Since my glasses saved my left eye years ago when I fell into a dead treetop, I won't go without safety glasses. When I had my cataract surgery I chose distance lenses since my trifocals' prescriptions put everything at my feet out of focus guaranteeing many more falls when walking in the woods.

I'm evaluating different lens implant options as I consider cataract surgery. Some lenses correct for near; others for far; and one potentially does it all (but quite expensive). My question is if I am corrected for distance, I potentially won't be able to read the settings in my viewfinder? Yes, there is a diopter adjustment on the viewfinder (Sony A1), but it changes the focus of both the subject I am shooting and also the camera settings around the sides of the image. Can someone who has had cataract surgery/implants give me some guidance on how they dealt with this? I will be seeing the eye surgeon in about a month, so I'm trying to do a lot of homework so I am prepared to have a knowledgeable discussion with the doctor. Thanks in advance for any perspectives you can share.

I've not read the other replies but I've had cataracts in both of my eyes. In the UK we don't have any options in the NHS but there are bifocal ones available with private treatment, however after reading up on the bifocal's mixed I decided it was not for me - even if I could afford it!

I can see perfectly from about 3 feet to infinity with my fixed lenses with no glasses. At first I just got some cheap ready readers to read, close viewing and looking at my camera settings. however, after a while it became a real pain having to put them on and take them off. I used the neck straps you can get to hang them round my neck, could not just push them up on my head as I often wear a cap or beanie hat so eventually got some varifocal glasses. After all, I had been wearing varifocal glasses for many years before my cataract surgery.

The only issue is that depending on the eyecup(s) you use, you might not be able to see all of the frame edges in one go. I swear that I saw a setting on a camera that shrinks the viewfinder image but now I can't find anything on a search so I might have been dreaming. I think this would be a great idea for all camera makers - selectable VG image size.

Getting back to the point, in general I don't find it a huge issue, just annoying. Do you know about the blue vision after surgery? That was a real adventure! Most cataracts are straw coloured, so the brain compensates so we see real colours. At first everything will have a cyal/blue tint until the bran figures it out! IIRC it only lasted for a few days.

My first replacement resulted in very cloudy vision for almost a week but it then cleared. The second one was a lot better after surgery and my vision settled very quickly.

Finally the surgery is not a walk in the park, but it is very close to a walk in the park. Just a bit uncomfortable and takes about 10 minutes. The thought of it is worse than the actual surgery.

Viewfinders are corrected for far-adapted eyes. So, if your eyelenses are optimized for far, you will be comfortably able to look in your viewfinder. If your eyelenses are optimized for near, you will need a correction, either diopter correction of the viewfinder, which is limited, or glasses.
In my opinion, far-adapted eyelenses are a no-brainer, if you have a mirrorless camera that shows all settings, menus, image reviews in the viewfinder.

Also, most of the world lies in the far.

Wearing glasses for photography sucks.

Some lenses correct for near; others for far; and one potentially does it all (but quite expensive). My question is if I am corrected for distance, I potentially won't be able to read the settings in my viewfinder?
Camera viewfinders are made with near infinity focus and not with close-up focus when you look through them.

Looking at an image on the rear monitor from about 12-15 inches needs reasonable eyesight close-up ability.

EDIT - having had cataract surgery I use various-focus eyeglasses.

Question: In the U.S., Medicare only provides free standard single-vision lenses for cataract implants. What if you request two lenses with different prescriptions (e.g., close-up and distance) for your two eyes? Still free? Thanks for the confirmation.

Question: In the U.S., Medicare only provides free standard single-vision lenses for cataract implants. What if you request two lenses with different prescriptions (e.g., close-up and distance) for your two eyes? Still free? Thanks for the confirmation.
It’s more correct to say Medicare provides for single focus lenses (not muiltifocal or extended focal). So it doesn’t matter if you choose near-far or any other combination as long as both are single focused. But do consider Eyhance which is covered. It’s a mild extended focal range so you get a bit more range than with the standard lens.

What @TurtleCat said. But it's a lifetime commitment. I suggest getting both for distance and using a contact lens over one of the eyes to read.

When I had cataract surgery several years ago, my wife insisted on getting the expen$ive lenses. They corrected my distance vision to 20/20, and it looked like it removed a dingy yellow filter from my eyes, as well as increasing light at least 1 stop! I still need readers for print and reading my camera menus. After a few years, my vision is still 20/20 in one eye, and 20-30 in the other. At 85, I'll take it! Distance is still very good, and I tell my doc that I wear glasses out of vanity...they camouflage the bags under my eyes! 😀

It’s more correct to say Medicare provides for single focus lenses (not muiltifocal or extended focal). So it doesn’t matter if you choose near-far or any other combination as long as both are single focused. But do consider Eyhance which is covered. It’s a mild extended focal range so you get a bit more range than with the standard lens.
Thank you for the confirmation and the good info about the Eyhance lens.

I had both eyes done a few months ago. Had to use glasses while using my camera before. Now I can use the dioper adjustment and get crystal clear viewfinder adjustment. I have a single vision pair of glasses for computer work focusing at about 18 inches so good for close and computer work. Unfortunately, my dominant eye is my right eye with 20/20 vision. Left eye has som issues so I can't really use it for the viewfinder. I am happy with my results. 74 years old so I should be set for life.

I had cataract surgery a year+ ago. I was very strongly advised not to get mono vision (setting eyes to differently since for some people this does not work and then you need to pay the cost of duplicate surgery out of pocket or worse).

Medicare will pay for basic lens, I got lenses that focussed far and mid range to give me the vision for photography. I still need reading glass, albiet very weak ones and in bright light I don't need them). The out of pocket costs of the far/mid range lenses was substantial but luckily I could afford.

To check if you are OK , or not. with either option you can have contact lenses fitted prior to your surgery. I realise this is extra cost, but the decision you make stays with you for a very long time.

I was given this option, and found the one short/ one long was absolutely fine and therefore I was totally confident .

I seem to remember I had the trial contacts in for 5-7 days.

I had cataract surgery a year+ ago. I was very strongly advised not to get mono vision (setting eyes to differently since for some people this does not work and then you need to pay the cost of duplicate surgery out of pocket or worse).

Medicare will pay for basic lens, I got lenses that focussed far and mid range to give me the vision for photography. I still need reading glass, albiet very weak ones and in bright light I don't need them). The out of pocket costs of the far/mid range lenses was substantial but luckily I could afford.
Are the far/mid-range lenses the same as or similar to the Eyhence lenses (DOF extended)? Medicare does cover the Eyhence lenses according to TurtleCat.

I'm evaluating different lens implant options as I consider cataract surgery. Some lenses correct for near; others for far; and one potentially does it all (but quite expensive). My question is if I am corrected for distance, I potentially won't be able to read the settings in my viewfinder? Yes, there is a diopter adjustment on the viewfinder (Sony A1), but it changes the focus of both the subject I am shooting and also the camera settings around the sides of the image. Can someone who has had cataract surgery/implants give me some guidance on how they dealt with this? I will be seeing the eye surgeon in about a month, so I'm trying to do a lot of homework so I am prepared to have a knowledgeable discussion with the doctor. Thanks in advance for any perspectives you can share.
You might explore PanOptix Trifocal Intraocular Implants. Conceptually, they function in a way analogous to atrifocal lens, but one does not have to alter gaze to view at different ranges. Once in a long while, if something seems blurry, I blink and it instantly clears. I am 20/20 R & 20/25+ L. My distance vision is fine, I can clearly view all camera screens, the viewfinder settings, and the Z8/Z9 lcd. For very small fonts, I utilize 1.5 over the counter half glasses, but can actually see most of the smallest fonts unaided. The PanOptix eliminate the need for one eye corrected for reading and one eye corrected for distance.

Les

You might explore PanOptix Trifocal Intraocular Implants. Conceptually, they function in a way analogous to atrifocal lens, but one does not have to alter gaze to view at different ranges. Once in a long while, if something seems blurry, I blink and it instantly clears. I am 20/20 R & 20/25+ L. My distance vision is fine, I can clearly view all camera screens, the viewfinder settings, and the Z8/Z9 lcd. For very small fonts, I utilize 1.5 over the counter half glasses, but can actually see most of the smallest fonts unaided. The PanOptix eliminate the need for one eye corrected for reading and one eye corrected for distance.

Les
Nice option. How about the cost factor?

Back