CF Express Confusion - Nikon Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

just ordered a Z8 (been using D850 and D500) and am confused when I look at what many people recommend for cards (Delkin and ProGrade) vs the Nikon supported list ... if I get one not on the 'supported' list will there be an issue with Nikon service if I have a card related camera problem? (I have never dealt with Nikon service as I haven't had any camera problems but saw a post on FB where someone got a Delkin card stuck in their Z8). I ordered a Sony 128-GB CFexpress Type B G-series Tough Memory Card (and a 64GB SF-G Tough Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card) to get started (as they appear to be 'supported') but would like to get other CFexpress cards and was looking at the ProGrade Cobalt 165GB but the Nikon supported list starts at 325GB - I prefer to use smaller cards to be able to change them out (not all my eggs in one basket so to speak) and do not take video (mostly: wildlife / birds, landscape, macro, astro) - appreciate any input! Thanks - Annette

I agree with @Cameron T. Using CFe cards that Nikon hasn’t tested does not void the camera’s warranty. I own a Z9 and Z8 and I prefer Delvin Black and ProGrade Cobalt because of they provide for superior write speed in-camera and they tend to run cooler than other brands. But I also have CFe cards branded by other companies which I use from time to time. I know a Nikon employee who prefers Angelbird cards. Make the choice which works best for you.

Agree that there is no warranty issue if you use cards not on the Nikon approved list.

There have been a number of reviews of different cards. Generally the Delkin Black and Prograde Cobalt have been most highly recommended. I have been using those exclusively and have not had any problems. Others can conduct experiments, I just want to stick with what I and others know works.

Agree that there is no warranty issue if you use cards not on the Nikon approved list.

There have been a number of reviews of different cards. Generally the Delkin Black and Prograde Cobalt have been most highly recommended. I have been using those exclusively and have not had any problems. Others can conduct experiments, I just want to stick with what I and others know works.
Thank you, I appreciate your response!

No. The supported cards are (to my knowledge) just the ones nikon themselves tested directly.

I'd also recommend Angelbird cards (the 512 gig se cards are solid, and will handle everything the z9 can throw at it). Delkin cards are also good.
Ricci at Nikon UK seems to have extensively tested Delkin with good results.

Just one point regarding card size. Generally, the break point in terms of speed occurs around 512GB. Larger capacity cards tend to write/read faster, so it might be worthwhile to invest in them, especially if you are thinking of travel and/or video. I'm a fan of ProGrade's new v4 Gold cards which offer a combination of speed and value. Nonetheless, Delkin makes excellent cards as well and both lines are reliable and run at reasonable temperatures.

Just one point regarding card size. Generally, the break point in terms of speed occurs around 512GB. Larger capacity cards tend to write/read faster, so it might be worthwhile to invest in them, especially if you are thinking of travel and/or video. I'm a fan of ProGrade's new v4 Gold cards which offer a combination of speed and value. Nonetheless, Delkin makes excellent cards as well and both lines are reliable and run at reasonable temperatures.
thank you for that information, I appreciate it!

Ricci at Nikon UK seems to have extensively tested Delkin with good results.
Yeah, delkin are good, black and the new power series (g4? I think?) are maxxing out the z8/9, the angelbird cards all do as well, as do some others. Any gen 2 card will.

The real question (imo) is price per gig (or terabyte, if you want to go that way) and heat. I wish angelbird cards got tested more that way, but I haven't seen anyone compare them directly that way (and I don't have the tools to do it myself, nor do I want to buy a lot more cards to test).

just ordered a Z8 (been using D850 and D500) and am confused when I look at what many people recommend for cards (Delkin and ProGrade) vs the Nikon supported list ... if I get one not on the 'supported' list will there be an issue with Nikon service if I have a card related camera problem? (I have never dealt with Nikon service as I haven't had any camera problems but saw a post on FB where someone got a Delkin card stuck in their Z8). I ordered a Sony 128-GB CFexpress Type B G-series Tough Memory Card (and a 64GB SF-G Tough Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card) to get started (as they appear to be 'supported') but would like to get other CFexpress cards and was looking at the ProGrade Cobalt 165GB but the Nikon supported list starts at 325GB - I prefer to use smaller cards to be able to change them out (not all my eggs in one basket so to speak) and do not take video (mostly: wildlife / birds, landscape, macro, astro) - appreciate any input! Thanks - Annette
Don't overthink this...you'll be fine. People just "get into" things so there is a lot of discussion on how fast cards are and if they might overheat with video. I have two Z8 cameras and have had no problem at all with any card. Your card choices will be fine. I do have an older Sony and have never had a problem and I've shot a lot of photographs, including 20,000 recently in the Antarctic. I suppose any card can get hot if you hammer the shutter for hundreds of images but if that is not your style it should not be a problem. I have Delkin, too, and that's been fine and my cards are all smaller than 325GB. Handle your cards with care and when you insert them do so gently, do not hammer them in so that they get stuck.

Don't overthink this...you'll be fine. People just "get into" things so there is a lot of discussion on how fast cards are and if they might overheat with video. I have two Z8 cameras and have had no problem at all with any card. Your card choices will be fine. I do have an older Sony and have never had a problem and I've shot a lot of photographs, including 20,000 recently in the Antarctic. I suppose any card can get hot if you hammer the shutter for hundreds of images but if that is not your style it should not be a problem. I have Delkin, too, and that's been fine and my cards are all smaller than 325GB. Handle your cards with care and when you insert them do so gently, do not hammer them in so that they get stuck.
thank you for your reply and advice, I greatly appreciate it!

I agree with @Cameron T. Using CFe cards that Nikon hasn’t tested does not void the camera’s warranty. I own a Z9 and Z8 and I prefer Delvin Black and ProGrade Cobalt because of they provide for superior write speed in-camera and they tend to run cooler than other brands. But I also have CFe cards branded by other companies which I use from time to time. I know a Nikon employee who prefers Angelbird cards. Make the choice which works best for you.
thank you, I appreciate your reply and will do that!

Marketing...If Nikon can get you to buy theirs or one they have tested,,,,$$$. I've used ProGrade since my ZZ-8 arrived & havent had an issue. A few months back there was a report out of every card tested & more importantly the speeds at copying...Very techno geek stuff that marketing folks like to throw at you to make it sound as if they are cream of the crop

I use Cfe cards from Delkin, Promaster, Lexar and Sony with absolutely no trouble. I also use XQD cards from several brands. My best advice is to stay away from the cheap junk and make sure you have cards with high sustained write speeds that can keep up with you Z8. Also, be sure to get a good reader with fast read and transfer speeds which uses TB3 (at least). Best of luck.

while it certainly won’t be a warranty issue, i think it is possible that in certain cases if you have a card related issue it could be a hassle if you needed service with a card related issue

i had a problem with my isp a number if years ago and i had long since replaced the lousy isp provided router with a better one

but basically they insisted i use their router during the troubleshooting period so i had to dig it out of the garage and install it because it was on their support checklist

that type of thing could happen

that said, i don’t even _have_ one of the “supported” cards, and i very much trust delkin and prograde and i have no intention to change. worst case if it ever became an issue i could always get a card at that time

and usually you don’t send the card with the camera for service

Back