Circular Polarizer choices

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm thinking about getting a CPL for landscape and some wildlife, like macro on frogs. There is quite a range in price, does anyone have experience with results from the high end vs. mid-range priced ones? Thanks
I use German filters

Schneider,
Rodenstock,
Ziess,
B+W.

Hoya makes excellent products as well.

Never an issue with any of them and they all provide excellent outcomes and quality products.

Beware of Chines generic products under popular brand names.

Only an opinion

I use German filters

Schneider,
Rodenstock,
Ziess,
B+W.

Hoya makes excellent products as well.

Never an issue with any of them and they all provide excellent outcomes and quality products.

Beware of Chines generic products under popular brand names.

Only an opinion
The worst cpl I ever had was a supposed top of the line "Promaster" (A group of US camera stores have this a store brand for a lot of gear) most likely a fit in the Chinese generic products category.

I used B+W for years very good filters but more color shift than Breakthrough X4 's I use and back when I was using UV or clear for protective purposes more loss of light etc.. than Breakthrough.

I still have Hoya Moose's CPL warming filter not anything else like it on the market.

All that said with what I shoot and my 90% use of Z800pf on my Z9 I have not used any filters for at least a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: O
I’m liking filters from Breakthroug Photography. Good combination of quality and price. Free shipping and a lifetime guarantee. Most of their screw on filters have a grip friendly design for easier on/off and adjustment. Important to a CPL.

The worst cpl I ever had was a supposed top of the line "Promaster" (A group of US camera stores have this a store brand for a lot of gear) most likely a fit in the Chinese generic products category.

I used B+W for years very good filters but more color shift than Breakthrough X4 's I use and back when I was using UV or clear for protective purposes more loss of light etc.. than Breakthrough.

I still have Hoya Moose's CPL warming filter not anything else like it on the market.

All that said with what I shoot and my 90% use of Z800pf on my Z9 I have not used any filters for at least a year.
My first CPL was a ProMaster, not bad, but with some cold color cast. My ProMaster UV filter was just a clear filter, no UV protection at all (yes, I tested it in the laboratory). Not that I needed UV protection, but that's a scam.

I'm just getting serious about a CPL for landscape photography, and am going to try Kase magnetic-mount filters (the new Revolution ones). Anybody have good or bad experience with them? I'm less focused on the magnetic vs screw-on feature, more on the optical quality. Most reviews focus on the former, would love any real-world image quality experiences or observations from our BCG brain trust.

Thank you in advance for any insights!

I'm just getting serious about a CPL for landscape photography, and am going to try Kase magnetic-mount filters (the new Revolution ones). Anybody have good or bad experience with them? I'm less focused on the magnetic vs screw-on feature, more on the optical quality. Most reviews focus on the former, would love any real-world image quality experiences or observations from our BCG brain trust.

Thank you in advance for any insights!
I had a different set of magnetic filters involving adapter rings and using my own filters. The adhesive on the adapter rings failed after about two years. I won't use them again. Good idea but failed in real use.

I had a different set of magnetic filters involving adapter rings and using my own filters. The adhesive on the adapter rings failed after about two years. I won't use them again. Good idea but failed in real use.
Good watch-out. Based on my understanding (which is currently theoretical), Kase ones don't appear to use adhesive (just a screw-in magnetized adapter, upon which the filters can be placed) - do you think that approach would risk the failure mechanism you mention?

While the idea of magnetic filters sounds good on the surface, I have to ask, "What is the purpose?" Presumably, magnetic filters would facilitate the quick and easy change of filters. However, how frequently do you need to change filters? Especially, how frequently do you need to change a CPL filter? Finally, even if you do change ND filters with a bit more frequency as you try to get the right effect, aren't 100/150 mm square filters and a holder a better option than magnetic? Please excuse my naivete, but I am a bit curious.

While the idea of magnetic filters sounds good on the surface, I have to ask, "What is the purpose?" Presumably, magnetic filters would facilitate the quick and easy change of filters. However, how frequently do you need to change filters? Especially, how frequently do you need to change a CPL filter? Finally, even if you do change ND filters with a bit more frequency as you try to get the right effect, aren't 100/150 mm square filters and a holder a better option than magnetic? Please excuse my naivete, but I am a bit curious.
It's easier and quicker than a screw in filter. So if you use them at all, and you're trying different things, saves a lot of time. It's also smaller than the square filter system and easier to set up.

I don't use a CPL all the time, so my thought is it makes it easier than putting wear and tear on the screw threads on the lens, and just pop it on/off as needed. I don't expect to change between different filters frequently, but I don't use a CPL all the time, so that's where I anticipate the benefit.

To me, the attachment mechanism is a side benefit - the optics are what I'm most interested in people's experience with, if there are any Kase users out there! Nice attachment mechanism for a lousy filter is a losing proposition, to me, and one I hope to avoid.

I've never noticed any color cast, they work as intended. I don't think I've seen anyone else mention any different, outside of one YouTube with one specific filter (6 stop ND) that I believe he got replaced and the replacement was fine.

I like that idea of magnetic filters but I have found that they are not strong enough to hold a filter in place. Rather see a magnetic filter with quarter turn to lock it in place (think Polar pro has something like this)

Last edited:
Back