Cleaning Z sensor

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Sensor cleaning and never leaving the battery in the camera if its not being used.

I find the sensor is statically charged, i believe this is often the reason dust gets attached, also why dust or spots can be stubborn or just keep moving around.
The black soft felt lining in the sensor box is there to provide total darkness, but its also a means trapping dust away from the sensor.
If the box is not cleaned out you can with a hand blower used on the sensor actually add/redistribute dust to the sensor from the felt.
So filtered compressed dry air should be used first to blow out the whole box before cleaning the sensor (not airasol cans) as they often spray some propellant and stain the sensor.
First the box needs to be blown out thoroughly, then the using the correct procedure only going one way and one pass with each new wet paddle normally does the trick.
I used fine small Chop sticks with wet sensor cleaning tissue, with the appropriate solution, and go all around the outer edges of the sensor first then across the face several times, but that's after years of practice only and i don't recommend anyone trying it, i have never had an issue and always got my sensors clean first time each time.
With a hand blower it works very well and seems safe used properly, often it simply blows the dust of the sensor and the dust is trapped in the black felt like lining where it stays till eventually cleaned out as mentioned above.

That's all in the past, now i let Nikon do it all.

From memory Your not actually cleaning the actual sensor surface but a layer over the sensor, this layer is replaceable in the past with the DSLRS. Nikon wont do this they just replace the sensor.

Only an opinion
I agree with you, also regarding the cleaning process.

In the new Zs, I think the most significant risk is not to damage the sensor, which is protected by the glass like in the old reflex cameras but to damage the sensor stabilization system somehow.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when the body is off, the stabilizer stays in a specific position for transport which keeps it locked. But maybe I'm wrong.

In the old SLRs, I found the adhesive silicone stick very handy to dry remove the grains of dust, but not for the Z, I don't trust; if it were to stick too much, then I would have to exert a traction force on the glass of the sensor and the mechanics of the stabilizer.

Back