Cleaning Z sensor

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Okay I'll admit it. I reverted to my old "dSLR" habit. I wanted to check and clean my sensor so I went into the menus and looked for the function to allow me to clean my sensor (as in dSLR). There is no mirror to lock up and on the Z7 II there is no shutter to open. After 15 seconds I realized the error in my ways and did another stupid thing. I put the sensor loupe on the camera (after removing the lens cap) and it was out of focus. Then I realized I needed to put the FTZ on the camera to get the sensor in focus.

Besides from sharing my faux pas, what do you use to clean your sensor. With the Z6/Z7 I need to clean them every 6-12 months. Besides from a bulb to blow off dust, if you use swab, which ones? Which cleaning solution? I have the visible dust Sensor loupe. Any better loupes out there? VD has a Quasar 5x loupe. Is that much better than the regular loupe?

Any other methods?

You can run the sensor cleaning routine via the menus (it goes longer when done manually like that) or use a blower. Nikon does not recommend wet cleaning yourself and has no instructions to do so. I don't look forward to sending it in just for that, but I too am not sure what to do when the time comes for a wet cleaning. I know how to do it, I just don't know if I want to. I'd hate to void the warranty.

With my DSLR cameras I cleaned the sensors myself or they would have spent more time at Nikon than in my hands. Photographing weddings I needed a clean sensor or have to deal with specs on images later in post. I never found the vibrationbased sensor cleaning mechanisms to be 100% effective.

I use V shaped swabs and Eclipse sensor cleaner and some of the 1/4" square tiped swabs in the corners. I have a loupe with LED lights but find it most effective to have the camera at f16 and manual focus mode and take shots at infinity of the sky. Any debris on the sensor shows up clearly in the pictures. When the images are clean I am assured that the sensor is also clean.

Worst case I use $5 in swabs and solution per camera and it would cost me more than that for insurance to ship my camera to Nikon and wait a couple weeks for its return.

You can run the sensor cleaning routine via the menus (it goes longer when done manually like that) or use a blower. Nikon does not recommend wet cleaning yourself and has no instructions to do so. I don't look forward to sending it in just for that, but I too am not sure what to do when the time comes for a wet cleaning. I know how to do it, I just don't know if I want to. I'd hate to void the warranty.
I have the camera (Z 7ii) set to clean the sensor every time the camera turns on/off. But eventually it needed some extra cleaning. Hopefully the future Z6/7 cameras will have sensor shield like the Z9.

I routinely cleaned my DSLR sensors using an Eyelead gel stick. Worked well but I always felt some nervousness using it. I haven’t needed to clean sensor yet on my Z9 but when the time comes I’m not sure whether I’ll use the gel stick or do a wet cleaning

Okay I'll admit it. I reverted to my old "dSLR" habit. I wanted to check and clean my sensor so I went into the menus and looked for the function to allow me to clean my sensor (as in dSLR). There is no mirror to lock up and on the Z7 II there is no shutter to open. After 15 seconds I realized the error in my ways and did another stupid thing. I put the sensor loupe on the camera (after removing the lens cap) and it was out of focus. Then I realized I needed to put the FTZ on the camera to get the sensor in focus.

Besides from sharing my faux pas, what do you use to clean your sensor. With the Z6/Z7 I need to clean them every 6-12 months. Besides from a bulb to blow off dust, if you use swab, which ones? Which cleaning solution? I have the visible dust Sensor loupe. Any better loupes out there? VD has a Quasar 5x loupe. Is that much better than the regular loupe?

Any other methods?
I have done it twice. Firtst time waa because I had dust that was showing up in images so I used the Dust Aid cleaner. It was esy and worked fine. The second time was when I had a lens off and picked up the camera and stuck my thumb on the sensor and left a big finger print. Iused the swab and the cleaner shown there. With both methods I just watched a bunch of people do them online and then went for it. I also have the inspction loupe which works great. My rule is if I can see crap in pictures I clean it. Like you already know the internal system works really great and most stuff I ever see with the loupe blows off or the camera system draws it off the sensor.
Z72_7865.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have done it twice. Firtst time waa because I had dust that was showing up in images so I used the Dust Aid cleaner. It was esy and worked fine. The second time was when I had a lens off and picked up the camera and stuck my thumb on the sensor and left a big finger print. Iused the swab and the cleaner shown there. With both methods I just watched a bunch of people do them online and then went for it. I also have the inspction loupe which works great. My rule is if I can see crap in pictures I clean it. Like you already know the internal system works really great and most stuff I ever see with the loupe blows off or the camera system draws it off the sensor. View attachment 43029
A side note about bulbs. During the course of reading about sensor cleaning before I made the move to clean mine the first time I read from several sources about people whose sensor seemed to be constantly fouled with dust and debri. The cause was old and/or cheap blowers that were deteriorating internally and as the rubber rotted out it blew into the body and onto the sensor everytime it was used. Just something to think about.

This is in the Z6ii user's manual, but presume it is in the other manuals too:

Page 33 Caring for the Camera and Battery Cautions:

● Do Not Touch the Image Sensor
Under no circumstances should you exert
pressure on the image sensor, poke it with
cleaning tools, or subject it to powerful air
currents from a blower. These actions could
scratch or otherwise damage the sensor

However, in the reference manual I found this under sensor cleaning:

Page 714 Manual cleaning

3 Remove any dust and lint from the sensor with a blower.

Nice one, Nikon!

I send the cameras I take on Safari to Fixation in London for deep cleaning before and after each important long trip. In between I use a blower every evening. AND I take a full cleaning kit with me to Africa - including 2 air blowers, a sensor viewer with ring leds (Visible Dust), an Artic Butterly brush and packs of the correct sized pre-moistened Fx cleaning swabs, extra fluid and lint free swabs, plus hundreds of pre moistened Zeiss Lens cleaning swabs and optical cloths and Rosco lens cleaning fluid. Anyone wanting or needing to use any of this on my trip has to pay the cost to replace what they used/consume. Other than using a blower - I do not clean cameras for others.
I recently discovered my powered Arctic Butterfly Brush was done, so I bought a replacement.

AND in priority/frequency I follow these steps:
  1. Sensor self clean every time the camera is powered off
  2. Air Blower every evening after use and more frequently if in very dusty environments (often during lens changes) - ensure the sensor and the cavity is blown clear. Some lenses pull in / expel air when zooming or during AF so regular cleaning (blowing) is key to keeping on top of "dust"
    With DSLRs spend time on the AF-unit and mirror as well. (I prefer the rocket blower with a filter on the intake - there is no point blowing dusty air onto your sensor) DO NOT USE compressed air. This can come out VERY COLD and freeze on the sensor causing staining, add dampness and may harm the sensor coating/protection
  3. Examination and gentle use Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly brush followed by more blowing to remove dried objects (£70 for the brush and I have had the loop since 2000/05+?)
  4. If blowing and gentle brushing does not work - then I perform wet sensor cleaning in the field to remove harder to move items - I use pre moistened swabs and VISIBLE DUST SENSOR BRUSH CLEAN LIQUID preferably the no streak version and take really great care. DO NOT press down hard or rub - just gently pull the swam across the sensor a couple of times. That is it (£3-5 per brush). It take practice. We inspect and clean our digital backs before every shoot - including wet cleaning when necessary in studio.
  5. Send for professional cleaning and testing. (normally £100+ per camera body)

I’ve been cleaning my sensors ever since my first DSLR, a D200. The mirrorless cameras are easier to clean due to no mirror box and a wider lens opening. I use Photographic Solutions sensor swabs and their Eclipse cleaning solution. Before cleaning, you must ensure the sensor is locked down so that you won’t damage the IBIS mechanism. For Nikons, that means powering off the camera body. Other camera brands differ (Sony, Fuji, …).

The sensor is covered by a glass plate with optical coatings to block UV and IR, etc. You are never cleaning the bare semiconductor sensor, but the optical coatings on the glass could be damaged with harsh cleaning solutions, and/or the glass could be scratched if a piece of sand was pressed down and dragged. Using a blower is a good idea before wet cleaning. Clean with a new swab with two or three drops of cleaning solution and pass over the sensor once in each direction gently and dispose of the swab. There are several good YouTube videos on how to do this entire process.

This is in the Z6ii user's manual, but presume it is in the other manuals too:

Page 33 Caring for the Camera and Battery Cautions:

● Do Not Touch the Image Sensor
Under no circumstances should you exert
pressure on the image sensor, poke it with
cleaning tools, or subject it to powerful air
currents from a blower. These actions could
scratch or otherwise damage the sensor

However, in the reference manual I found this under sensor cleaning:

Page 714 Manual cleaning

3 Remove any dust and lint from the sensor with a blower.

Nice one, Nikon!
Powerful air currents I think means compressed air. Thinks like hand squeezed rocket blowers I bet is the second reference.

Any other methods?
This is a great read and should be mandatory for everyone who own a camera and lens: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/08/the-apocalypse-of-lens-dust/

Now reading THIS was a learning experience! Of course it has to do with lenses. Maybe he’s messed around with sensors too?
Hi Tommie. Go to the Lensrental webpage and look at the blog area. You will find that Roger Cicala has messed around with MUCH more than just lenses. If you go deep enough you'll learn that he worked for NASA finding ways to make cameras used in space indestructable. The company rents cameras and lenses and everytime one comes back it is serviced. He and his partners have likely been in hundreds of thousand cameras. Here's another good read to give you an idea of what they do everyday. https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2...roger-cicala-lensrentals-gets-his-hands-dirty

Any other

Any other methods?
I purchased a Loupe Extender from Michael the Maven (https://canontrainingvideo.com/mave...xtender-nikon-z6z7-and-canon-eos-r-p-133.html). This $15 item is made from a 3D printer and it sits between the Z mount and my Carson 5x Loupe. It allows a great means to inspect the sensor in any Z body and then you can decide what to do from there. He only made a few of these, so I don’t know if it’s still available. I’ve never had a serious issue where I thought the sensor needed a wet cleaning, but I agree with Steve - I’d probably send it in if it looked that bad.

I've cleaned the Z6II sensor numerous times with a rocket blower and a few times with a gel stick. I have not needed to go the wet swab route yet, but I will if necessary.

I have the camera (Z 7ii) set to clean the sensor every time the camera turns on/off. But eventually it needed some extra cleaning. Hopefully the future Z6/7 cameras will have sensor shield like the Z9.
Keep in mind if the camera cleans the sensor with the lens on whatever it cleans off stays in the camera sensor box and can go right back on the sensor. I turned off that feature and now only do it I have the lens off and am going to blow off the sensor with my rocket blower. I do it in a clean environment with limited air flow. I turn of the sensor shield deploying when camera turned off then holding the camera lens mount facing down with the body cap on I run the sensor clean now. Then turn off the camera and remove the cap and holding it lens mount down blow it off with my filtered rocket blower and then blow off the camera body cap. Then I put the cap back on and turn the camera on and turn the deploy sensor shield feature back on.

Last edited:
I haven't cleaned my Z9 sensor , but I have noticed a few specs of dust on a test shot. I have heard it said that one of the reasons for the sensor cover is to keep dust out. I don't see that happening. Any dust that lands on or around the sensor cover will be blown all over the interior as soon as it folds open when the camera is turned back on. I think it may be a good idea to use a rocket blower with the sensor cover shut (& lens off of course) periodically to blow off any dust in the area around and in front of the sensor cover.

I haven't cleaned my Z9 sensor , but I have noticed a few specs of dust on a test shot. I have heard it said that one of the reasons for the sensor cover is to keep dust out. I don't see that happening. Any dust that lands on or around the sensor cover will be blown all over the interior as soon as it folds open when the camera is turned back on. I think it may be a good idea to use a rocket blower with the sensor cover shut (& lens off of course) periodically to blow off any dust in the area around and in front of the sensor cover.
I think for a Z 9 I would send it to Nikon to be cleaned. I’ll clean a Z 6 and Z 7. Not sure why I draw the line on the Z 9

Why I still turn off the camera and blow around the base of the lens with my rocket blower before I remove a lens. I have a routine when I come home from a shoot that I blow off the entire camera with my rocket blower and then use a swifter to wipe off the entire camera and if I have been in very dirty conditions I use an artists paint brush reserved in a zip lock bag just for cleaning around all the camera body openings and also use a damp cloth as needed and microfibre cloth on the glass areas.

Like others I like and use the Eclipse cleaning solution. I was nervous but watched a ton of videos. I started with the D7500 I had and then tried cleaning my Z6II and I've had zero issues. I've only had to wet swab my Z6II once because my rocket blower was not getting it done. I don't do it regularly and only plan to do it when the sensor is extremely dirty. I want to touch the sensor as little as possible.

I have these swabs and they are just a touch smaller than the full frame sensor but it's not an issue. I run them along the top edge, slide it down, and run it back along the bottom edge. That's all and my sensor was clean. No errors with the camera and the image quality is pristine.

UES FFR-30 DSLR or SLR Digital Camera Sensor Cleaning Swabs for Full-Frame Sensors (30 X 24mm Swabs, NO Liquid Cleaner) https://a.co/d/2tyMrgl

The solution:
Eclipse Optic Cleaning Solution - Camera Lens and Digital Sensor Cleaner Fluid - Works with All Cameras, Binoculars, and Other Optical Products - Dropper Tip (59ml) - 2oz https://a.co/d/amF6Pa7

This stuff really works great. I tried another brand solution that came with my APS-C cleaning kit but it didn't work. Two swabs with the to Eclipse and my sensor was spotless.

Back