Color or Black and White?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I saw this old bull bison on a recent trip to Yellowstone. He was obviously on his own and was trying to hide under a bush in a futile attempt to get out of the snow. I noted that both of his horns were broken, evidence that his fights for mating rights and a place in the herd are over. Let me know which image you like better, the color image of the B&W image.
Z91_2088-Enhanced-NR-Edit-2-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z91_2088-Enhanced-NR-Edit-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Certainly does seem that most wildlife photographers prefer color images. I am trying to expand my horizons! You have beautiful images on your web page!

Given that he is old and this is probably his last winter, the black and white communicates the melancholy of the end of a life well lived. I also tried it in a sepia tone and it looks pretty interesting with that treatment too.

Jeff

I like both with the color version slightly ahead. However, if there was a bit more separation of the background in the B&W version that would be my preference.

I like both with the color version slightly ahead. However, if there was a bit more separation of the background in the B&W version that would be my preference.
Yes, the old bull was lying under a bush, so I had no chance to get more separation. Does seem like most wildlife photographers prefer color. I appreciate your mentioning the black of white is OK.

To be honest the image as it was composed does not work well in color or black and white. Often the thinking with a lackluster image is to make it a two-tone image and "fix it".

The lack of separation of the bison from the branches hurts the subject. Better in the future to take more shots and from more angles and heights with varied backgrounds at the time. With digital cameras there is not the issue of running out of film and with bison they are relatively stationary subjects and tine is not a constraint.

To be honest the image as it was composed does not work well in color or black and white. Often the thinking with a lackluster image is to make it a two-tone image and "fix it".

The lack of separation of the bison from the branches hurts the subject. Better in the future to take more shots and from more angles and heights with varied backgrounds at the time. With digital cameras there is not the issue of running out of film and with bison they are relatively stationary subjects and tine is not a constraint.
Unfortunately, the bull was lying under a bush, so no way to get any separation. I thought in interesting that he was trying to get out of the snow storm but was really just too big to fit under the bush.

Back