Cormorant and fish: eyes in eyes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PhD69

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The red colour in the beak is the fish’s blood (not accented)

More photos at www.philippedestine.com

BCG-012.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hello Ralph,
Thank you for your comment and for your interest in this species of fish.
As far as I know this is a Pterygoplichthys pardalis, the Amazon sailfin catfish.
See here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterygoplichthys_pardalis
If I'm wrong, don't hesitate to correct me.
I‘m sure your right. I was just leaning on my knowledge from my past aquarium days. The link you referenced even says that many people confuse the pleco with this species. Thanks for the info.

Excellent timing. What frame rate were you using? Tell us about where you were other than the Panatal (was this in a boat) and what the shooting conditions were like?
Of course, with pleasure.

The location is close to Porto Jofre (which is simple to find using Google Map).

To avoid wasting time between the hotel and the places where we make observations, our hotel is a big boat, permanently moored to shore.
Then we move with small boats, with maximum space for everyone to take their photographs.

For this picture, I was +- 18 meters from the cormorant.
Our boat was stopped, for us to have a rest, perpendicular to the shore and I was at the back of the boat, against the bank, that is to say a bad place.
My only opportunities to take the cormorant were when it was right or left of the boat. But it worked well.

This picture is the #77 in a burst of 100 taken @ 20 frames / second.
High speed and long burst are helpful in this kind of situation to maximize the chances to get a good picture.
30 fps/sec was not active as I was in Lossless Compressed RAW and not in Compressed RAW (which is one of the prerequisites for the SONY A1 to deliver 30 fps).

I hope it helps and don’t hesitate to ask me if you want more information.

Back