Coyote on a Fallen Tree

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

By the way, I love the way the background and surroundings are dark and have a bluish cast, while the brightness and warm color of the coyote make it stand out. Good job processing this shot. :)
It was a bit tough to process because everything had the bluish cast. It was so early in the morning. And of course Nikon cameras add a bit of blue as well. I appreciate your comments and the compliment

That's a beautiful shot. We have a lot of Coyotes around here, but you almost never see one standing still, let alone posing nicely like this!
I had some good luck with this young coyote for a few months. I'd sit in the forest and she's come and be curious around me. She always went to sniff where I'd been sitting when I went to leave. So I sat on the tree one day and then got up to move somewhere else. Sure enough she jumped up on the downed tree to check out where I'd been sitting. Some squirrels caught her attention so I managed a few shots of her in this alert pose. I have so many shots of her I'll end up boring everyone :LOL:

Last edited:
I absolutely love Coyotes and try to photograph them as often as I can. This was taken late last fall. This young Coyote jumped up on a fallen tree to get a better view of the Squirrels foraging on the forest floor
C&C is always welcome. I'm here to learn

View attachment 41928
I do love the composition of this one! Dark barren forest surround and lightened coyote really works with me.

This is a lovely shot! Gorgeous composition and beautiful coyote. Nice! When I was in Edmonton for the last 3.5 years I barely saw a coyote when I was tramping about (with camera of course). When I lived there previously there was rarely a day I didn't see coyotes when out walking about (without camera, of course) :)
'twas ever thus Ssheipel!! :rolleyes:

I absolutely love Coyotes and try to photograph them as often as I can. This was taken late last fall. This young Coyote jumped up on a fallen tree to get a better view of the Squirrels foraging on the forest floor
don't think any CC is required - stunning shot ❤️

Outstanding photograph! Try cropping a bit from the right side of the photo. That's a beautiful example of an eastern coyote or, as some would say, a coywolf since they carry around 20% wolf DNA.

View attachment 41928

I think its absolutely lovely, bottom line, its a wonderful capture inclusive of environment, the expression is key, it all tells a story, it prevokes thaught fo rthe viewer, i really like it.........thanks for sharing.

To see if it has more potential if not all ready looked at, may be flip the image back and forth to see if it transforms, this may or may not work.

Also explore if taking 1 or 2 inches off the top changes things, this is purely experimental, again if you haven't all ready tried it.

Review the photo from no less tha 3 to 4 meters away is my final step usually............its reveals things often differently.

Above all just please your self.

The other thing is maybe try using Pro Contrast in NIK, or Vivasa in Nik just to see if the Coyote just pops that fraction more, i mean i am only going on the image in this forum, it may very well be fine in the original.

Only and opinion

Impressive capture (y) (y) (y)
Thank you!

I do love the composition of this one! Dark barren forest surround and lightened coyote really works with me.
Thanks very much!

Hi Meghan, Thank you for sharing this wonderful photo. The eyes and ears are focused with such intent, and the subdued feel of the photo is wonderful. Also, a very healthy coyote.
Appreciate your feedback!

don't think any CC is required - stunning shot ❤️
Thank you, means a lot!

Excellent tonal adjustments and colors! Nice capture and edit!
Thanks very much, really appreciate the compliment

I think this is really good. Most different from the normal. It reminds me of a movie poster or book cover!
Thank you so much!! What a compliment!

Fantastic shot. Well done!
Thanks so much!

Really nice! Love the backround too!
Thank you, it's one of my favorites of this coyote

Stunning shot Maghan, absolutely gorgeous. Great composition and the blue light of the background helps the coyote stand out perfectly. 👏
👏
Thanks very much, it's a shot I was hoping to get!

Absolutely great shot.
Thank you kindly

Outstanding photograph! Try cropping a bit from the right side of the photo. That's a beautiful example of an eastern coyote or, as some would say, a coywolf since they carry around 20% wolf DNA.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it!!

I think its absolutely lovely, bottom line, its a wonderful capture inclusive of environment, the expression is key, it all tells a story, it prevokes thaught fo rthe viewer, i really like it.........thanks for sharing.

To see if it has more potential if not all ready looked at, may be flip the image back and forth to see if it transforms, this may or may not work.

Also explore if taking 1 or 2 inches off the top changes things, this is purely experimental, again if you haven't all ready tried it.

Review the photo from no less tha 3 to 4 meters away is my final step usually............its reveals things often differently.

Above all just please your self.

The other thing is maybe try using Pro Contrast in NIK, or Vivasa in Nik just to see if the Coyote just pops that fraction more, i mean i am only going on the image in this forum, it may very well be fine in the original.

Only and opinion
This is great advice, thank you. I'm going to rework it and see what your suggestions do. The other thing I do is walk away for about 10 minutes when I'm done. Sometimes I come back and say WTF were you thinking LOL!! So thanks for the great ideas!

Back